Electric Sharpener Advice

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Homelite

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Santa brought me an Oregon electric sharpener pictured at the link below. I am debating on whether to use it or send it back and pay the difference to get a better one. I read the reviews on the Northern Tools website, but the saws they listed and the comments they posted are less than applicable to those of us sharpening milling chains (something tells me we sharpen more often than Joe Homeowner, not to mention the reviewers refer to them as chainsaw blades). Anyway, it makes sense to make the switch from the Granberg bar-mounted system I have (I am having hand surgery on Wed.) to something faster and more consistent. Any advice would be appreciated.

http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_6970_351196_351196

Santa brought me an Oregon electric sharpener pictured at the link below. I am debating on whether to use it or send it back and pay the difference to get a better one. I read the reviews on the Northern Tools website, but the saws they listed and the comments they posted are less than applicable to those of us sharpening milling chains (something tells me we sharpen more often than Joe Homeowner, not to mention the reviewers refer to them as chainsaw blades). Anyway, it makes sense to make the switch from the Granberg bar-mounted system I have (I am having hand surgery on Wed.) to something faster and more consistent. Any advice would be appreciated.

http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_6970_351196_351196

I had a 511a and really liked it, its a bit expensive though. I dont know anything about the model you got but I am sure it is a quality product like all Oregon stuff is. I cant see how big it is etc from the pics but I bet it will work great for whatever you have to do.

Kansas

Looks like a nice grinder...

I have a 511 too and it is alot better than pushing a file to me,,saves alot of time...I never seen one used like you have but looks good....Plastic frame??I wish I could help you out on your answer,,but like I said,,I never seen one up close...

The grinder you pictured is not really what you want for sharpening milling chain. The angle that the grinding wheel is at is fixed which means you can not change the hook angle. but perhaps more important is that because the motor in not reversable and the angle is fixed you will end up with a burr on the outside of the cutters on one side of the chain and on the other side the burr will be on the inside. This will cause the chain to pull a bit to one side.

The $99 grinder is not too bad and will do what you need if you don't feel like springing for the $300+ for the 511A

Anyone use the blue carlton sharpener on Baileys site?? I think its a china version of a 511 it seems for $110 it might be worth a look plus its listed as able to sharpen ripping chain?? Any reviews out there? Don't wan't to hijack just add to this thread. Good luck with the hand and happy new you to ya!! See ya in 2009 irishcountry:cheers:

Back