Electrical Training--not just for clearance guys!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

treeseer

Advocatus Pro Arbora
Reaction score
I just registered for this;
http://www.treecareindustry.org/EHAP/

the only cost was $10. for lunch. I don't work for a utility anymore, but I get called to trim a tree near wires now and then. I thought I may have a better chance of getting permission from the utility to "adopt" these trees' regular care and trim on behalf of my clients if I had EHAP certification.

Besides, it's a chance to see Tom Dunlap in action, beating the safety drum! Recommended for clearance people definitely but also for other contractors.

The way that the regs are worded, anyone working within 10' of an electrical conductor needs to have the EHAP certification. Just by walking under most house sercie drops puts everyone within the scope. How many cable/phone lines are more than 10' off the ground?

Serious business,the way I make a living.All you folks who work around this stuff,need some knowledge.It could save your a---s.No kidding!

Tom-service drops are not high voltage, service wires are made of three wires, two which are insulated and carry 120v. each. The third is a bare ground with a steel core. This course looks woefully inadequate compared to what it takes to work around power here (2years, 6weeks in school, 1200 hours working under supervision etc.) Anyways, I hope you learn enough and put your own safety always ahead of the trees always.

Yeah,

And I'm in Australia and it's a 3m no go rule which is ridiculous, so in 2 weeks time I'm off to do my M31 Electrical awareness/close approach certificate. Cost $150 and 1 day of my time. :D

Clearance,

In the US it doesn't matter what the voltage is. Without any training, the approach distance is 10'.

I have a plastic hang tag for telephony lines that says 90v. Not likely to kill but it could give enough of a jolt to surprise someone and cause a reaction that could lead to an accident.

Tom, is this part of the grant that TCIA got to offer free classes? I tried to offer to be a host...but we are pretty remote down here. Would you consider coming down to teach a class? We as a company took one about a year ago, and are due again. From the line up on the TCIA, nothing in Florida coming up.

Beating the safety drum...beat away!!!

clearance said:
Tom-service drops are not high voltage, ... put your own safety always ahead of the trees always.
Mr. clearance, sir:

1. Service drops have enough volts to give you some jolts. I got two zaps from sevice lines back in the day, and it was merely luck that they did not cause permanent injury. In fact, the juice may have sizzled some brain tissue, which may have caused some decline up there. That would explain some things... :rolleyes:

Kinda like spiking trees--it's rare you see a "smoking gun" that proves spikes kill trees, as it's hard to prove 120 volts damages brains. But there's an obvious possibility, so why flirt with it?

Re human safety ahead of trees', that's a given. But if we put our Convenience--as in refusing to climb via ropes instead of spikes anywhere but in the backwoods--ahead of trees' safety, we give our profession and our species a bad name.

The name of our species is Homo sapiens sapiens--that means we are obligated to think if we are to call ourselves human. So it's only natural to learn and think about electricity before we approach it, and to learn and think about trees before we approach them.

The 100 to 120 volts in each leg of a service is plenty to kill anyone depending on how well they are grounded and the path the current takes through their body. In fact, considerably less voltage can kill if the amperage is there. And it only takes 1/10th amp to put a person's heart into fibrillation IF the current crosses their heart.

Does EHAP training qualify a trimmer as a qualified line clearance tree trimmer? The OSHA regulations put some pretty stringent regulations on anyone working as a qualified line clearance tree trimmer. They can approach closer than 10 feet of a primary but no close than 28 inches regardless of voltage and, they can approach but avoid contact with secondary (service) voltage.

Treeseer, have you spoken with your insurance agent? They may have some problems with you working near power lines. Make sure that they do not have a clause in there specifically excluding electrical work because some policies will not cover you even if you are EHAP trained. They do not want the liability associated with working around the lines or, damaged appliances and lost revenue due to an outage on that line.

Carl

Clearance, I am sure you know this, but there is no such thing as insulation on power wires. At least not that I am aware of. The coating you are referring to is weather-coating. It may act like insulation, but it is not intended as insulation. If we say it is insulation, some people may think they can grab it like an extention cord. And 1/10th of an amp can mess the heart up, but to put that into perspective, the average light bulb takes about 6 amps!

Never said that triplex (service wire ) was not dangerous, just said it wasn't high voltage. Here, the limits of approach table (L.O.A. ) starts at 750v. Most distribution lines (that feed houses ) are from 12 to 25kv. Topnotch, you are right about weatherstripping not being insulation, here that is on the secondaries, not the service drops, which are insulated. Ekka-you think the 3m (10') rule is ridiculous? It is there for good reason, with an attitude like that you might get fried. People care that the power is always on, I care about my life and guys I work with. I'll spell it out for you #1-men #2-powerline #3-trees

clearance said:
Ekka-you think the 3m (10') rule is ridiculous? It is there for good reason, with an attitude like that you might get fried.

I know, that's why I'm going to change my attitude and do the course, be more knowledgable and safer.

Hey clearance, did you know one large power authority over here has totally forbidden the use of spikes for tree work, even if it's a removal. Gotta learn to climb without them.

And you'd say, how the heck do you block down without spikes? Start getting creative, I'm sure you'll figure it out.

That large power company must be crazy, bunch of conslutants on crack. You are pulling my leg aren't you mate? Whats thier name then?

I'll find out for you this Thursday when I go to college.

I'm pretty sure it's Country Energy in NSW. We had a session on how you would do the job without spikes and block down if you cant fell the log and a tower or crane cant get in. We assume you would be able to access the canopy and do everything else without spikes fairly easily.

Interested in the solutions?

Over here we are allowed to use spikes only on take downs,If not you can always use a long endless loop sling by placing around stem threading one end through the loop so you have a foot support.

As for getting your climbing rope into the canopy we use poles that are tested to be used next to the lines to place our ropes in the trees.
As safety zones are concerned we are not alloud to enter the Vincinity zone which varries depending on what voltage you are working.But you have to be certified with the NPTC Arboricultural Electrical qualifications,then get authorised by the network company.

Latest posts

Back