elm as firewood

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Long live exhibit A! Not sure if it's elm or cottonwood, but I'll trust your judgment. Green cottonwood splits exactly the same way. :censored:

Oh, thats Elm all right.

Edit: I have never had the "pleasure" of bucking and splitting a cottonwood.

Last edited:
Oh, thats Elm all right.

Edit: I have never had the "pleasure" of bucking and splitting a cottonwood.
Cottonwood is the greatest tree of deception there is. You buck it green and you think it's wonderful. The saw buzzes right through it, and when green, it actually feels solid.

Then you say, "well, let's split it," and it looks like exhibit A. So, you let it dry a few months. Now it feels and looks like linden (basswood), but it still won't split worth a :censored: . So, you give up and throw it in the stove--one log every two hours. Yep, it burns hot.

I know im late but I love elm. I have a stand of them in my back yard. Every year dutchelm claims one or two and I cut down, borrow hyd splitter and enjoy nice hot fire.:cheers:

May I present exhibit A:
I think that needs a couple of years drying time. This will split real nice and is still heavy. Been dead for 6 or more years.

Firstpics183.jpg

Elm is about half my woodpile. I like it, long burn, purtty hot, but yes.....Pain to split. I wait till below zero, no problems then, splits like a dream!!!

Buck, I can assure you that additional time would not have made that any easier to split. It was a long dead, standing, barkless, grayed out tree that measured at 21% mc when I split it. It was ready to burn.

Back