Elm variety ID?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steve NW WI

Unwanted Riff Raff.
Reaction score
I'm trying to figure out what flavor of elm I'm cutting on in this thread: http://www.arboristsite.com/firewood-heating-wood-burning-equipment/210649.htm . I'd be leaning toward American Elm, but the cream and dark layers on the bark point toward rock elm. I didn't get a good side view of the bark, there are plenty of pics in the other thread, but no closeups, I'll get one here later today if needed.

End view:

attachment.php

Split:

attachment.php

Layered bark closeup:

attachment.php

Some other info: Tree was growing on higher ground, in heavier soil, it was a yard tree with no others close by. Could have been planted long ago I guess. The pics shown are from a medium sized limb, I don't have the trunk home yet. It's been dead for over a year, so no leaves to help out.

What say you guys and gals?

Steve NW WI,

I think it's american elm.
The white flecks in the cut bark end look typical for american.
The wood color looks like rock elm though.
I'm not that familiar with red elm, none grow naturally in my area and i have only cut a couple of them, maybe this is red?

How did it saw up?
Rock elm is like cutting dead black locust or worse, checking a few times for saw sharpness on a new chain is a good indication it's rock.
American elm is like cutting dead ash.
Red elm like cutting live black locust.

Last edited:
We have had an influx of some kind of borer here in Ontario that hits the elm -- no idea what kind you have, but bet it was real stringy when you split it.

Those layers of creamy white in the bark are unique to American Elm only (although there may be some exotic imports that have it... not 100% sure). I am 100% sure that Rock Elm, Red Elm and any other "native" elms, as well as Siberian Elm, do not have layers of creamy white in the bark.

See this thread...
http://www.arboristsite.com/firewood-heating-wood-burning-equipment/184122.htm

Last edited:
Thanks guys.

I somehow got the layered bark look associated with rock elm, not sure why. Probably due to too many hours at work, and not enough sleeping. Like I said in the first post, everything else told me "American". Now it all does.

Haveawoody, I'm sure to run into some red elm soon, and knowing me, there'll be plenty of pics when I do.

Whatever the flavor, elm is one of my favorite firewoods, and I never miss a chance to put some on the stacks. This will burn great next winter, and the strings make good built in kindling!

You'll like the wood. Doesn't throw a crazy amount of heat but I cut a pickup load of it a couple of years ago and burned it last year. Was perfect for last years mild winter

Nice and stringy. I'd say it looks like all the American Elm I've ever cut.

Encore,

I think american elm can be great firewood.
Split green, cured and then burnt it's much in the same class as walnut.

Standing dead or cut to round size and left until the bark is starting to drop off then split, then it's similar to red oak for heat and burn times.
(Steve NW WI) would do well to cut his wood to round size and find a sunny dry outdoor spot until spring before he splits it.

Whitespider,

Rock elm has white or cream almost passing lines on a highway in it's end bark.
Most times it's a creamy color and not a real white.

Nothing like the american elm with it's white fleck all the way around.
Think you are right on with the ID here.

You'll like the wood. Doesn't throw a crazy amount of heat but I cut a pickup load of it a couple of years ago and burned it last year. Was perfect for last years mild winter

Heh, half my wood many years is elm. On all but the coldest days, it's all I need. When the highs are below zero, then I reach for white oak or ironwood.

How did you split it?
Hand or machine?

I may be crazy, but I ain't dumb. Hydraulics are your friend, use em as needed. If I feel the urge to swing the Fiskars, I'll be aiming at some red oak or something else easy to bust.

Encore,

I think american elm can be great firewood.
Split green, cured and then burnt it's much in the same class as walnut.

Standing dead or cut to round size and left until the bark is starting to drop off then split, then it's similar to red oak for heat and burn times.
(Steve NW WI) would do well to cut his wood to round size and find a sunny dry outdoor spot until spring before he splits it.

Woody, I have a hard time with any logical reason why wood seasoned in the round would season better or differently than the same wood split and then seasoned. All I can come up with is that the split green elm would have a lot more surface area with all the strings, etc., and burn a bit faster. I do know it splits easier after it's dried down, but I prefer to get my processing done and let er dry rather than add another step to the process by coming back later to split it. This wood has been dead standing long enough that a lot of the bark comes off while splitting, but it hadn't shed it yet.

Steve NW WI,

Save a couple rounds unsplit, just put them in you split pile as rounds.
Split them in the spring and just remember what was done that way.

Or if you have some now that has dropped it's bark split it up and burn it compared to elm you split green last year.
Dead american elm is quite firewood, i would put it up against ash any day.
IMO better than ash.

Elm is weird wood.
I think the grain of elm shrinks inward as deadwood, split green this tends to not happen.
When you split dead american elm it tends to split almost straight, green it's like a bad hair day so something unusual is happening in that few months.
Same wood either way but they have different burn qualities.

Actually all species are better wood sitting in round format for a few months first.
Elm just shows it most.

Last edited:
Looks like American Elm,
As to the quality, some of the best wood in ND.

The Dead standing is my look for first wood,
I just cut a standing dead the other day. and burning it now :msp_smile:

The worlds best firewood, standing dead:rock:.

I just got some dead elm today, it was leaning off the ground with the bark falling of when you touch it. The smaller branches were reading 12 to 14% and the 8" and larger rounds were 22 to 26%. I don't need the wood this year but from those of you who are familiar with dead elm will the larger rounds need a year to dry or will they give up the moisture quickly because they were already dead?

I just got some dead elm today, it was leaning off the ground with the bark falling of when you touch it. The smaller branches were reading 12 to 14% and the 8" and larger rounds were 22 to 26%. I don't need the wood this year but from those of you who are familiar with dead elm will the larger rounds need a year to dry or will they give up the moisture quickly because they were already dead?

Elm gives up its moisture quick because it's Elm... You may get a head start if it's already dead, but cut green Elm gives up its moisture quick too.

Hedgerow's right on. Get that elm split and stacked, and it'll be plenty useable as is if you mix big and littles together in the stove, or let it sit and it'll be even better by spring or next year.

Much of the bark off dead elm I cut goes straight into the house, saves the extra move later and burns just fine in my older (non EPA) stove.

Near all the bark-less standing-dead American Elm I cut goes straight in the house (basement) also. It seems to need the bark to actually fall off before the final dry-down though, if cut with the bark still hanging it tends to be somewhat wetter. Depending on how wet the ground is the main trunk can be a bit wet, sometimes 10-15 feet up, but even that (unless really wet) goes in the house as it drys out in a week or two. In dry weather, dry soil, it can be well seasoned clean to the ground.

The thing is... it needs to be dead on the stump, it needs to be standing-dead. I've cut elm that was blown-down while still alive and it doesn't make near as good firewood. If you take a close look at standing-dead elm just before the bark falls you'll notice that the bark is quite a bit larger in diameter than the wood... I've seen a gap as much as 2-inches between bark and wood on larger trees. This is just my personal theory, no fact or science attached, but I believe gravity forces much of the moisture from standing dead elm, and with the bark basically sealing it, the wood compresses (shrinks) because air can't readily replace the space once occupied by the water... or maybe it's because of how fast the moisture is forced away. Really, guess it doesn't matter "why" the fact is (by my observations) bark-less standing-dead elm is harder, denser, heavier and makes much better firewood than green cut... almost as though they are two different species of tree.

Dutch Elm Disease is still killing trees in my woodlot, and I've almost made a science of when to cut them. I can normally tell when one is gonna' be dead the next spring... they'll have a light canopy and drop leaves early, and the next spring don't come back. I leave them stand through the summer, through winter and through the following summer into late fall; if, by then, the bark and small branches have fallen they're ready, if not I'll wait another full year... or even two for larger trees. The bark needs to fall on its own accord, and then it needs to stand for some amount time after that. I "store" standing-dead elm on-the-stump; ain't no sense in cutting, splitting, loading, hauling, stacking, re-loading, hauling, and unloading into the house when I can just wait to cut, split, load and haul directly to the house. Besides, if you give them enough "time", the splitting ain't all the tough (with hydraulics), especially in colder weather.

Waiting too long is a mistake... wait one year too long and it goes from pretty darn good firewood to not-so-good, much of it somewhat punky and light, especially the lower half and around crotches. If it has been standing long enough to fall over, chances are near all of it will be junk... hardly worth the time and effort. Same thing if the larger branches have started to fall... mostly junk by then.

Now Red Elm is different than American Elm. I'll cut Red Elm just as soon as the bark gets loose (so I have bark free firewood) and stack it. Red Elm needs a bit of "stacked" seasoning time... live or dead.

Latest posts

Back