Elm?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rio_Grande

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
We have a bunch of what I think is standing dead elm.

I t has no bark, has a dark outer color and is really hard. I can cut about a tank full of gas and I have to sharpen the chain! I think this is what we cut last year that stunk terrible when we burned it.

Does that sound like elm?

Elm?? Could be, but other types will shed bark also.
Standing-dead elm is rough on chains, or at least what I cut is... I use a semi-chisel (Stihl RM) cuttin' it because it stays sharp noticeably longer.
Let's see some pictures of the standing, and of the cut wood.

Most of the elm I see standing dead is almost white and darker on the inside when cut. I dont think it stinks unless its smoldering. I agree pics would helpful.

We have a bunch of what I think is standing dead elm.

I t has no bark, has a dark outer color and is really hard. I can cut about a tank full of gas and I have to sharpen the chain! I think this is what we cut last year that stunk terrible when we burned it.

Does that sound like elm?

yes, probably red elm. It eats chains, splits badly and leaves a lot of ash. My guess is that it contains a lot of silicates of some form. Smells like cow manure when it is burned, even dry. I can drive down the road and tell who is burning elm.Find some with bark still intact and you have a prime mushroom spot

Elm usually has a darker centerthan the outer layer. It is also stringy as ole heck to split. The biggest problem with elm is how much water content it is made up of when green. Split it and stack as soon as cut, because it will rot left in round form, and let it season well. Once dry down below 20%, it burns fairly well.

Red elm does not split badly, does not leave a lot of ash, and is one of the best firewood species that you can burn. All you have to do is let it dry about 6 months in the round after you cross cut it. When the bark starts falling off, split it.

There is lots of lousy elm, but red elm makes very good firewood. Here's a sample:

MakitaandBigElm00.jpg

Note the scraggly, thick bark. That falls off when the round is dry.

I love standing dead Elm. Whatever extra hassles you have are worth it to me for burning. I have lots of Elm on my property and watch the bark fall and cant wait to burn it.:)

Red elm does not split badly, does not leave a lot of ash, and is one of the best firewood species that you can burn. All you have to do is let it dry about 6 months in the round after you cross cut it. When the bark starts falling off, split it.

There is lots of lousy elm, but red elm makes very good firewood. Here's a sample:

MakitaandBigElm00.jpg

Note the scraggly, thick bark. That falls off when the round is dry.

The tree I call red elm is ulmas rubra and every piece I have ever split had to have a wedge driven all the way thru it and then cut the strings with an axe. If it doesn't pour in the next couple days I'll go to the farm and cut a pc for pics and compare notes. I've never cut one with bark on

The pic Wood Doctor posted is the Red Elm we have here . I have to agree with him that it doesn't split bad and burns really hot.

What I am cutting is a foot or less in diameter. No bark on them eats chains and is almost the exact color in the middle of the photo. I was even talking the other day that it is as pretty in the middle as any hardwood. It is stringy to split. I am not sure if it is what stunk so bad this year or not but occasionally I would toss something in that was really stinky.

I will try and get a pic next time I am out there. I cut about 2 the other day and had to resharpen. The next one was either hard or I messed up the sharpening because I quit after that with a dull blade.

I've got a lot of standing dead Elm on my property, and much the same experience. It's rough on chains, and I don't even attempt to split it by hand, I just save it for the hydraulics. I love burning it. Puts out good heat, and while others have said it produces more ash, I've never noticed it (not disputing that fact, ash quantity just isn't something I pay attention to)

I agree with the doc, up here standing dead red elm with no bark doesn't rot, doesn't split nearly as bad as other elms like piss elm. Actually doesn't smell all that bad and burns HOT! I've got about a dozen of em standing in the pasture. Just waiting for the damn snow to melt so I can get to em.

Split some Red Elm today (believe it is Red Elm)..
Heavy, Wet, Stringy..
Had to pull apart last few fibres, other than that it split fine..

Yeah Red and Rock are both wonderful firewood and not to difficult to split if the timing is right.
American is always tough to split but better if the timing is right, American is still pretty decent firewood with BTU just higher than Ash.
Red and Rock are both high BTU firewood, Red similar in btu to oak, Rock similar to Osage.

As live or semi live cut trees like Wood Doctor said if you leave them in round format until the bark starts to lift all 3 are easier to split at that time, and for some odd reason better firewood than split green.
Standing dead elm can go from pretty easy to split to near impossible, all depends on how long they have been that way.
All 3 Standing dead versions are wonderful firewood.

You will be warm this next winter :)

Last edited:
Just cut 3 cords of live elm and have about 5 more to go. We are clearing a lot and the fire wood is our pay. Good thing it's for a friend.:D It cuts ok not sure about splitting yet. The MS290 did a mighty fine job felling and bucking. I let my buddies with 261's do the light trimming:hmm3grin2orange:

Latest posts

Back