Emerald Ash Borer confirmed in Connecticut

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As far as I can tell it doesn't matter how much wood you sell or use or give away . If you are transporting wood you need the form . I don't want to see us lose all our Ash trees anymore than anyone else . But all the quarantines in other states don't seem to be doing anything . Seems to be more feel good legislation .Now some poor schlub who doesn't know about the form and is just trying to keep his family warm this winter is going to get pulled over and get a $100 fine . Maybe the Guv saw another way to line the state coffers .

emerald borer

the thing is that they can FLY . they have gotten such a head start still nobody does anything. just look at the gipsey moth in pa . in the poconos they finally sprayed last summer, and killed everything that moved, but no moths this year and they could fly also

Gypsy moths should take care of themselves, eventually.

New England used to get outbreaks of severe defoliation every 4-10 years...it's been 30+ years now since they've caused any significant impact. Eventually whatever bug got to 'em here will get to them there.

If I'm coming from a town in Hartford Co. doing a tree job across the line in New Haven Co. I can't recycle the job debris back at my yard? Now I have to find a dump spot for all wood in New Haven? What about Pine logs?

If I'm coming from a town in Hartford Co. doing a tree job across the line in New Haven Co. I can't recycle the job debris back at my yard? Now I have to find a dump spot for all wood in New Haven? What about Pine logs?

Here in PA, it doesn't matter the type of wood, you can't transport it out of quarantined counties. You can apply for an exception though.

The way I understand it is you can take wood chips out of New Haven county if they are chipped down to one inch or less . I had previously stated that you need a permit to move firewood within New Have county because that is what DEEP told me on the phone and it is what their web site leads you to believe . However after seeing the video of the public hearing they had the head of CAES Dr. Louis Magnarelli most definitely state that you do not need a permit to move firewood within New Haven county and a email we got today from the Connecticut Nursery & Landscape Association also says you don't need a permit to move firewood from town to town within New Haven county . As usual the states right hand doesn't know what its left hand is doing . I think that I am just going to print the forms and fill them out when I move firewood within the county . If I have them in the truck nobody will probably ask for them . But the day I don't have them I am sure I will see the red and blue lights in the rear view mirror.

I think that I am just going to print the forms and fill them out when I move firewood within the county . If I have them in the truck nobody will probably ask for them . But the day I don't have them I am sure I will see the red and blue lights in the rear view mirror.

My thoughts too

But I can't wait to see the look, (I'll bet it will be precious), on the DEEP or even better ENCON officer when they pull me over and I have the paperwork to hand them in the armrest console of my F250.

Take Care

This topic is why I came here in the first place. Get rid of that beetle and get rid of Woodcutter TV.

I think we should use my plan and spend the equivalent amount they did already; but instead of spending it this time for a bunch of salad eaters in electric cars to go around setting purple traps, Buy 1000 1 ton Silverados and dump trailers, 100 OWB and 2000 MS660's with lumberjack crews. Go out and root out as much of the affected crop as you can reach. Then heat one hundred public Schools. Save your forests, man your workforce and heat your schools. Quit living in fear and act. You are being led.

I'm gonna go look for a link for USDA Amendment 8, (I think it's called). Kiln dried regulated solid fuel is what this is about. Open your eyes.

They put up those traps to find out if they are spreading, why can't they put up traps to kill them like someone suggested. Seems to me a waste because for a couple of years they said they were on the West side of the Hudson river but ther're here now. All the ash trees are dying.

Schools use wood chip boilers. It will be coming your way in 10 yrs, or so. Damn they work awsome.

A matter of priorities?

They put up those traps to find out if they are spreading, why can't they put up traps to kill them like someone suggested. Seems to me a waste because for a couple of years they said they were on the West side of the Hudson river but ther're here now. All the ash trees are dying.
Perhaps it's because we are spreading the wealth around and the EPA is spending a bunch of dough flying airplanes over cattle feedlots instead. The emerald ash borers seem to like that. :bang:

The way I understand it is you can take wood chips out of New Haven county if they are chipped down to one inch or less . I had previously stated that you need a permit to move firewood within New Have county because that is what DEEP told me on the phone and it is what their web site leads you to believe . However after seeing the video of the public hearing they had the head of CAES Dr. Louis Magnarelli most definitely state that you do not need a permit to move firewood within New Haven county and a email we got today from the Connecticut Nursery & Landscape Association also says you don't need a permit to move firewood from town to town within New Haven county . As usual the states right hand doesn't know what its left hand is doing . I think that I am just going to print the forms and fill them out when I move firewood within the county . If I have them in the truck nobody will probably ask for them . But the day I don't have them I am sure I will see the red and blue lights in the rear view mirror.

Chipping the wood to 1" or less in 2 dimensions is an approved form of treatment. However, Sect IV A 2 of the quarantine order says that a thorough inspection by an authorized person must take place and a transport permit issued by the inpector must accompany the material to its final destination.
You need to have the form with you anywhere in the state, regardless of what county you are coming from or going to. Read the first line on the permit. It says " When transporting untreated firewood within Connecticut, you must keep a signed copy of this completed document with you." It is not county specific.
If you are transporting wood from Hew Haven County you also need a permit confirming that the regulated items (any hardwood species) have been treated and examined in accordance with state and federal regulations and are therefore safe to transport out of the quarantine area.

If I'm coming from a town in Hartford Co. doing a tree job across the line in New Haven Co. I can't recycle the job debris back at my yard?

No you cannot, not any more. Not with lots pf permits.

Now I have to find a dump spot for all wood in New Haven?

Yes unless you have it treated properly and have a permit to take it elsewhere

What about Pine logs?

The quarantine order specifies firewood of all hardwood (non-coniferous) species. It would seem that pine is exempt from the quarantine order

Chipping the wood to 1" or less in 2 dimensions is an approved form of treatment. However, Sect IV A 2 of the quarantine order says that a thorough inspection by an authorized person must take place and a transport permit issued by the inpector must accompany the material to its final destination.
You need to have the form with you anywhere in the state, regardless of what county you are coming from or going to. Read the first line on the permit. It says " When transporting untreated firewood within Connecticut, you must keep a signed copy of this completed document with you." It is not county specific.
If you are transporting wood from Hew Haven County you also need a permit confirming that the regulated items (any hardwood species) have been treated and examined in accordance with state and federal regulations and are therefore safe to transport out of the quarantine area.

First let me say I agree with you . I am going to have the form with me . But I think you missed my point . Although the form makes it clear you need it anywhere in Ct. even if you stay within New Haven county . The head of CAES stated just as clearly at the public hearing in Prospect that you DO NOT need a permit if you stay within New Haven county .Thus my right hand left hand comment . Not everybody has a computer or access to one . I can think of a fair number of firewood cutters who probably will never know about the form unless they get pulled over .

Latest posts

Back