Employee coverage

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ben14826

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Hey guys, I went and talked to a local tree guy yesterday about a job this summer to get some experience. He said that he usually doesn't have any employees except for his sons so he doesn't have workers comp or anything else to cover employees. He seems like a real nice guy and said he would like to take me on if we could get the details straightened out. His operation is pretty small including a small chipper, a bucket truck, a grinder, and a small dump. First of all I am worried I won't get enough experience and too much dumbed down manual labor, second of all I am worried about the idea of no comp or anything to cover me. Should I trust him that he will get it as soon as he can? Or should I steer clear of this one and try to find a job with a larger, more employee friendly company like Asplundh or Davey? My main reason for shying away from these in the first place was the drive. Any large tree service is at least 40 miles away and that seems like a large distance to drive everyday for a job that will likely pay less than $10 an hour. What do you guys think here?

Working for a tree service without Workman's Comp coverage is like going to the moon without a plan on how to get back. Everything might come out OK, but the odds are that it won't.

In addition to agreeing with Tree Wizard, I'd also add:

What are you trying to learn? The "tree stuff" is relatively easy to pick up if you look in the right places. You sould also pursue opportunity to learn something about management of a tree operation. I already know you wouldn't be learning from a good example if he won't do workers comp. I didn't say if he doesn't WANT to do workers comp... nobody wants to. The reality is that this a part of doing business though.

Finally, are you really looking in the right place to learn about the tree stuff? I have to wonder...if he hasn't bothered to learn how to run a business, has be bothered to learn about tree biology, soils, proper techniques, pests etc...? It is amazing how people assume "time in the business" = "knowledge". Some of the worst hacks I know of are well into the second or third generation...and they probably wouldn't know how to do the right thing if they decided they wanted to (actually, sometimes I think they believe they are doing things the right way...sadly).

Maybe I'm totally misunderstanding the outfit you are talking about. Workman's comp is definately a pain, and if he can run a good show & avoid WC without breaking the laws, more power to him...

Bottom line, it is illegal (I think it is in every state) to not cover your employees. It is a bad idea, as an employee to try that. Now...if you can work for him as a subcontractor LEGALLY, and you have health insurance that will cover on-the-job accidents, that is an entirely different story. Go to the IRS website, though, before deciding you are a sub. Many, many people who say they are, probably aren't.

Back