Empty Pringles Containers...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
...make good woodstove lighters if you pack them first with sawdust.

Just wrap them up in a blanket of 4 or 5 pages of newspaper and surround them with kindling and small logs. The only leftover is a small circle of aluminum at the bottom.

Packing any small cardboard box with sawdust works very well the same way, but I was rather surprised at how well Pringles cylinders work. Kind of like a slow-release torpedo. :popcorn:

lol i do the same thing but i cut the aluminum ends off. haven't tried it with the news paper. i'll try that in the morning. thanx for the tip.

They are also perfecto for storing that wet paint roller sleeve and I do mean perfect, lol!

get it hot enough and it should take car of the aluminum to:D
That would have to be awfully hot. I've yet to see my stove, "Jaws", totally devour the can bottom. It crystallizes it pretty well, but that's about it. There is usually a remnant of some sort to scoop out with the ashes. Maybe after two or three fires, it might eventually gobble it up.

Also, shoe string potato containers work too, but those are a lot more fattening so I don't accumulate many of them. The best sawdust, BTW, is produced during ripping or planing operations. That adds a little air to the mixture. :popcorn:

They are also perfecto for storing that wet paint roller sleeve and I do mean perfect, lol!

When i was in the USMC my Mom would pack cookies in them for my care packages.

We used to use egg cartons with sawdust and paraffin for fire starters. Just break one or two off as needed.

Egg Carton Fire Starters

When i was in the USMC my Mom would pack cookies in them for my care packages.

We used to use egg cartons with sawdust and paraffin for fire starters. Just break one or two off as needed.

Like these?
WaxSawdustFireStarters.jpg

I myself use TP rolls, or Paper Towel rolls loaded with dryer lint, and sawdust. I figured I would try with some wood pellets stuffed in there too, if my neigbor ditches their pellet stove for an OWB

Cotton balls dipped into liquified Vasoline. Sealed into a container, such as a chew can.

These also make excellent emergency firestarters, and the Vasoline can be used as lip balm in a pinch.

cat food /dog food bags filled with stuff that i dont carry i arm loads work toooo larry

Fill the can with sawdust, and saturate it with candle wax and used motor oil, should start a fire quite nicely.

Before the start of the season I collected a couple of trash bags full of curlies from quartering up firewood logs. I let them dry in the summer sun a day or two before bagging them. They catch fire will good but I think I will try stuffing paper towel tubes or the like with them. May be even better.

...make good woodstove lighters if you pack them first with sawdust.

Just wrap them up in a blanket of 4 or 5 pages of newspaper and surround them with kindling and small logs. The only leftover is a small circle of aluminum at the bottom.

Packing any small cardboard box with sawdust works very well the same way, but I was rather surprised at how well Pringles cylinders work. Kind of like a slow-release torpedo. :popcorn:

I've not tried that. But I will as soon as I get some Pringles and eat them first.

I switched my fire starting method to the one I think you described sometime this past summer. The one where you lay two or three small firewood sized logs on the bottom of the stove, followed by criss-crossed news paper and kindling on top of that and then more fuel wood size pieces. It works great and has never failed me once.

Latest posts

Back