Empty Pringles Containers...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I myself use TP rolls, or Paper Towel rolls loaded with dryer lint, and sawdust. I figured I would try with some wood pellets stuffed in there too, if my neigbor ditches their pellet stove for an OWB

I do the same. Not so much to kindle but rather as a way of getting rid of the dust/chips/bark pcs. that accumulate at the bottom of the woodbox. That, and tp/pt rolls are awkwardly-sized and tend to minimize the usable area in a trashbag before it's full.

Good idea doc. I've been using dried noodles wrapped up in newspaper or cardboard. I've been intending to soak some noodles in some old cooking oil I've got stored outside to get the same effect you are probably getting from the greasy chip can.

Good idea doc. I've been using dried noodles wrapped up in newspaper or cardboard. I've been intending to soak some noodles in some old cooking oil I've got stored outside to get the same effect you are probably getting from the greasy chip can.
I'm not sure that Pringles have very much grease. That's why they taste pretty flat. However, I don't dare eat them in sufficient quantities to keep up, so I do what you do--wrap sawdust in cardboard boxes. The ideal box for my stove is about 9" x 12" x 2". Chainsaw noodles work very well, but I ran out of those, so my workshop planer shavings and table saw ripping sawdust have taken over. Really fine sawdust such as the sander creates actually works against you and tends to smolder without air, so I just mix that in with the coarser stuff.

In the course of a winter, my workshop generates well over 200 lb of sawdust, so I never run out. The sequence is simple: a match lights the newspaper blanket, the newspaper blanket lights the container, the container lights the sawdust, the sawdust lights the kindling, and the kindling lights the logs: a slow chain reaction. :cheers:

I m going to stick to waxed cardboard boxes. Blueridge made a post about them I tried it and it worked great! But some of the boxes I have cut up and tried are not as good as others, I think it depends on how much wax is used in making them so far I stick to Dole celery boxes from the Produce Dept :)I don't even need kindling these things burn hot and crackle and hiss too.

I m going to stick to waxed cardboard boxes. Blueridge made a post about them I tried it and it worked great! But some of the boxes I have cut up and tried are not as good as others, I think it depends on how much wax is used in making them so far I stick to Dole celery boxes from the Produce Dept :)I don't even need kindling these things burn hot and crackle and hiss too.
Do you make any cabinets or wood boxes in your workshop and cut hardwoods while doing so, thus producing lots of sawdust and planer shavngs?

I have never used wax to start my woodstove. The picture I posted of the egg carton was given to me by another wood burner.

As an aside, I've yet to find anything that ignites quite like the empty bags of microwave popcorn. I always used to save those and toss them in the kindling box. (Used to save because our popping of late has been from some stovetop popcorn we bought from a local boy for his Boy Scout fundraiser.)

Do you make any cabinets or wood boxes in your workshop and cut hardwoods while doing so, thus producing lots of sawdust and planer shavngs?

I have never used wax to start my woodstove. The picture I posted of the egg carton was given to me by another wood burner.
Now that you mention it, I have a neighbor who is a cabinet maker he always drops a few boxes of scrap wood near my woodpile it's like burning coal to me very hot.I am going to ask him for a bag of shavings and saw dust.

Has anyone tried this? I use pine shavings mixed with diesel to help start my fires. A small scoop is all I need to get the kindling going.

As an aside, I've yet to find anything that ignites quite like the empty bags of microwave popcorn. I always used to save those and toss them in the kindling box. (Used to save because our popping of late has been from some stovetop popcorn we bought from a local boy for his Boy Scout fundraiser.)

It's interesting that you mention the popcorn thing. The cooking oil I mentioned earlier is expired popcorn oil
(I rent party equipment and the attendant supplies) that I have by the case and can't bring myself to get rid of because "It's got to be good for something".

Prompted by Docs posts, I made a firestarter last night with the oil (coconut), noodles and cardboard to wrap it in, smeared the outside of the cardboard in oil and it worked like a charm. This looks like it's going to be a no-fail firestarter. I'd bet with two I won't even need kindling.

Latest posts

Back