Endless Loop Climbing System

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Matt J Leppek

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Here's a video of the climbing system I've been using. Not to be confused with a closed loop climbing system (Blake's hitch using the same rope as termination). I like this set up because you can get the friction hitch away from you to ascend, and quickly bring the friction hitch in for limb walks/work positioning.

The audio in the video was terrible on my go pro, so I used titles instead. Hope it all makes sense.

You can use a short prusik in place of the snap hook. I've tried both and like the snap hook better for a couple reasons:

-Easier/faster to attach and detach

-Snap hook allows you to bring the friction hitch closer without touching the snap hook (impossible with prusik). This is nice if you place the friction hitch to far out of reach, and cannot reach the snap hook either. Just take your weight off the rope, and grab both ends and jerk in the direction you want to take the line. Works easier if you're climbing on 7/16 rope than on 1/2.

That's not a new system or idea at all, it's been around forever. Some years ago I was climbing on a system like that with a VT, using a piece of throw line to make a prusik and a clip from a sail halyard. I made a post about it at the time but even then it was nothing new and had been around a long time already.

The pain in the ass with this sort of system is recrotching/escaping from
The system.

That's not a new system or idea at all, it's been around forever. Some years ago I was climbing on a system like that with a VT, using a piece of throw line to make a prusik and a clip from a sail halyard. I made a post about it at the time but even then it was nothing new and had been around a long time already.

The pain in the ass with this sort of system is recrotching/escaping from
The system.

I didn't mean to imply I was the pioneer of this system, nor that it is new. The intention of this post was to share a "new to me" system that I have enjoyed working with.

It is much easier to re-crotch this system after implementing the snap hook, rather than using a prusik.

Back