Engineered fuel for my chainsaw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bobsbigsaw

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
What is the consensus on that fuel?
Its really pricey, but does it save anything?????
Is it better for the saw?
Better for the environment when spilled??
Can you drink it like beer??

I like to use it when they will be out of use for months, it keeps the carb good.

Like @lone wolf said, it has a very long shelf life. I've got some 5 years old and it still runs good. Very pricey but worth it in occasional use equipment. It's all I run in my pole saw because I only use it a couple times a year.

My neighbor has a push lawn mower just a common six horsepower with Aspen fuel in it or an Aspen type fuel it smells like. Barely ever gets used. To me it starts easy and makes more power than anything gasoline related. For it's size the power is excellent with an exhaust that smells sweet. Runs like new everytime.

Here is my first hand story with canned fuel.
A couple of weeks ago I purchased a new Husqvarna 550xp from a family owned dealer. Great buying experience.The dealer filled the saw with VP Racing fuel. Started fine at the dealer and when I got home I started it several times.
The next day, Saturday I was busy with commitments. On Sunday I went to start it and it didn't even pop. I thought I'd flooded it so out with the plug to dry out and another attempt. Same no start!!!!
After two no starts I drained the fuel into my other container and put my recreation gas plus Red Armor and pumped the purge bulb until I saw the Red Armor. It started on the second pull and since then it's been starting on either 2 or 3 pulls.
No more canned fuel ever. 20230904_105618.jpg20230904_105317.jpg

I've run TruFuel for years, due to how little I use my saws, and not knowing when the next use will be when I shut down. Go to start a saw for the first time for the day, and it takes ~6 pulls. 6 pulls, whether it's been one day or 8 months since the saw was run last.

Cost per gallon is eye watering, but I don't use enough fuel to care.

Edit: It's important to remember that engineered akylate fuels DO NOT last forever - and frequently give no indication that they're going off, the way gasoline does. Can last "up to" 5 years unopened and 2 years opened, and that starts when the product is manufactured, not when you buy it. Check the date codes on your cans and remember to rotate stock as needed.

I've run TruFuel for years, due to how little I use my saws, and not knowing when the next use will be when I shut down. Go to start a saw for the first time for the day, and it takes ~6 pulls. 6 pulls, whether it's been one day or 8 months since the saw was run last.

Cost per gallon is eye watering, but I don't use enough fuel to care.

Edit: It's important to remember that engineered akylate fuels DO NOT last forever - and frequently give no indication that they're going off, the way gasoline does. Can last "up to" 5 years unopened and 2 years opened, and that starts when the product is manufactured, not when you buy it. Check the date codes on your cans and remember to rotate stock as needed.
I'll have no problem because I use VP synthetic oil with fuel stabilizer and aviation fuel for storage. I've made it past the 3-year mark with zero issues.

I'll have no problem because I use VP synthetic oil with fuel stabilizer and aviation fuel for storage. I've made it past the 3-year mark with zero issues.

Yep, I have 3 year old Trufuel that has no issues as well. If you're running 100LL, that's also an alkylate fuel.

I personally won't run leaded fuel in anything that exhausts where I breath. There are a bunch of studies showing health issues and drop in IQ due to lead exposure, and I've got enough health and IQ issues as it is. Keep in mind the "low lead" in 100LL only means low lead in relation to 100/130 standard lead avgas, it's still several times the amount of lead that was in leaded automotive gasoline.

Yep, I have 3 year old Trufuel that has no issues as well. If you're running 100LL, that's also an alkylate fuel.

I personally won't run leaded fuel in anything that exhausts where I breath, there are a bunch of studies showing health issues and drop in IQ due to lead exposure, and I've got enough health and IQ issues as it is! Keep in mind the "low lead" in 100LL only means low lead in relation to 100/130 standard lead avgas, it's still several times the amount of lead that was in leaded automotive gasoline.
I didn't say "I run it"
Storage 1/4 tank maybe mixed 32-1 with VP synthetic oil mix.

Now, you can buy unless aviation fuel this year. Lead has it own benefits internally on certain parts. With today's oil it's not really needed in air cooled chainsaws. We don't have valve stem seizures from a lean mixture in ground based tools with no poppet valves. The only reason to run leaded fuel is stems and seats.

A couple of weeks ago I purchased a new Husqvarna 550xp from a family owned dealer. Great buying experience.The dealer filled the saw with VP Racing fuel. Started fine at the dealer and when I got home I started it several times.
The next day, Saturday I was busy with commitments. On Sunday I went to start it and it didn't even pop. I thought I'd flooded it so out with the plug to dry out and another attempt. Same no start!!!!
After two no starts I drained the fuel into my other container and put my recreation gas plus Red Armor and pumped the purge bulb until I saw the Red Armor. It started on the second pull and since then it's been starting on either 2 or 3 pulls.
No more canned fuel ever. View attachment 1112610View attachment 1112609
I hate to say it but it sounds like you forgot to prime it when you had canned fuel in it. Your words not mine

I didn't say "I run it"
Storage 1/4 tank maybe mixed 32-1 with VP synthetic oil mix.

Now, you can buy unless aviation fuel this year. Lead has it own benefits internally on certain parts. With today's oil it's not really needed in air cooled chainsaws. We don't have valve stem seizures from a lean mixture in ground based tools with no poppet valves. The only reason to run leaded fuel is stems and seats.

Woops, you did say storage, and I missed it.

No more canned fuel ever. View attachment 1112610View attachment 1112609
My 550xp mk2 and 450 mk2 both start on either fuel....or pump gas or Aspen 4T + JASO FD oil (when I store them).....no difference.....

Engineered fuel does reduce the likelihood of a - tragedy of the commons - occurring. We have a couple of saws at our family cabin that do see occasional use. Once a sibling got into a must use a saw situation and he straight gassed it. Since then it has been nothing but engineered/canned fuel up there. The cans are labeled “for chainsaw”. Thankfully, all my siblings can read.

For me, I run synthetic oil and straight gas, but I empty the saw of fuel when not in use. My Huskies don't seem to mind. I had an old Partner saw, that I hadn't used in about 6 years. I forgot the gas in it. It wouldn't start. Imagine!! Drained the old fuel, refilled and 10+ pulls later it ran just fine again. No issues till it was stolen a few years ago.

I like that it has no smell, doesn’t age rubber parts and doesn’t go off in the tank for years. It only gets used in my more expensive equipment though I do mix it at 32:1.

Latest posts

Back