Englander 3500 ?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

double E

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I have a englander 3500 add on furnace,and what I was wandering is if you were to lose power causing the blower to stop, and no one was home to remove the hot air outlet duct, like the manual says to would or could the furnace possibly over heat.

I have the same furnace. It is interesting because my manual doesn't mention removing the hot air duct in the event of a power outage. It is a 2005. Maybe yours is newer? I have run it without the blower a few times during a power outage and it does not seem to have caused any adverse problems. However, I do prefer to run the blower with the generator in a power failure and have done so the last couple times.

If the power goes out and nobody is home to remove the hot air duct, I would say that it would probably be alright (for a few hours anyway). This is assuming that the fire is not running flat out and that it is not packed tight with wood. The whole issue may have something to do with overheating the electrical components that are attatched directly to the unit.

Thanks for the input, thats what I was figuring but wasn't sure. I couldn't see them over looking that possibility when designing the unit,but you never know.

ive seen a "dumpbox" gizmo which was the first added plenum above the furnace which if overheated, a fuse would melt & the side falls open to let the heat out. Specified mostly for when the heat from the furnace is delivered downward so may be that the upward flow of heat thru the ductwork would be adequate to avoid overheating. I'd load it & try to simulate the possible overheating scenario & observe on a windy , good drafting day. I like barometric damper, it stabilizes the draft.

Back