Equip questions

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I tend to use Amana bits, but occasionally buy others. I started with Amana only because it was easy to load the tool profile for CAD-CAM and then organize my tool library using their catalog numbers. Probably not super good reasons. I think there are less expensive tooling options that may be just as good depending on what you need the tool for. The "flattening" bit I use is an Amana 45526 Carbide Tipped Spoilboard Surfacing, Rabbeting, Flycutter, Slab Leveler & Surface Planer 1-1/2 Dia x 1/2 x 1/2 Inch Shank Router Bit. I haven't used it to cut flies yet because I haven't been able to get them to sit still long enough to hot melt them to the melamine.

As for moisture meters - again, depends on what you need, why you need it, and what you're willing to spend. I have a half-dozen inexpensive pin-type meters, only two of which have proven to be at all reliable. One from Harbor Freight and the other an old WM01 from Tacklife. Good for quick, ball-park testing of firewood or air-drying milled wood that can be harmlessly stabbed with pins. For more mission critical testing - I have a Wagner. Those can set you back some coin, but ... non-intrusive (no-pins) and provide a lot of relevent data (like ambient relative humdity and equilibrium moisture content). Good for buying big chunks of expensive hardwoods or avoiding putting a lot of time and pin-holes into a big chunk of anything before it's really dry enough. The pin meters don't really fill the bill for that. In my opinion.

I tend to use Amana bits, but occasionally buy others. I started with Amana only because it was easy to load the tool profile for CAD-CAM and then organize my tool library using their catalog numbers. Probably not super good reasons. I think there are less expensive tooling options that may be just as good depending on what you need the tool for. The "flattening" bit I use is an Amana 45526 Carbide Tipped Spoilboard Surfacing, Rabbeting, Flycutter, Slab Leveler & Surface Planer 1-1/2 Dia x 1/2 x 1/2 Inch Shank Router Bit. I haven't used it to cut flies yet because I haven't been able to get them to sit still long enough to hot melt them to the melamine.

As for moisture meters - again, depends on what you need, why you need it, and what you're willing to spend. I have a half-dozen inexpensive pin-type meters, only two of which have proven to be at all reliable. One from Harbor Freight and the other an old WM01 from Tacklife. Good for quick, ball-park testing of firewood or air-drying milled wood that can be harmlessly stabbed with pins. For more mission critical testing - I have a Wagner. Those can set you back some coin, but ... non-intrusive (no-pins) and provide a lot of relevent data (like ambient relative humdity and equilibrium moisture content). Good for buying big chunks of expensive hardwoods or avoiding putting a lot of time and pin-holes into a big chunk of anything before it's really dry enough. The pin meters don't really fill the bill for that. In my opinion.
Thanks for feedback.
$200 AND under ON Meter and prefer non pin type- dont need any extra imperfections to remove after milling

Rather pay more for better quality bit- I have a lot of hickory to flatten

Back