Equipment Maintenance

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Who maintains your equip?

• I do basic maintenance(oil and grease).

Votes: 4 21.1%
  • I do everything on all my eqipment.

Votes: 8 42.1%
  • I have a dedicated employee who maintains all of our equip.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • It goes to a pro/shop for everything.

Votes: 2 10.5%
  • I do the basics plus bearing replacements etc. Pro does engine work.

Votes: 5 26.3%

• Total voters

Stumper

One Man Band
Reaction score
Spent yesterday afternoon replaceing a section of plate in the chipper feed chute. Made me wonder how the numbers break re: maintenance.

Well you see, NOBODY can do as good of a job on MY equipment as I can. It seems like most repairs come down to diagnosis/ remove & replace. Even if it is working on something where I have no experience, I can learn and address other things along the way. A mechanic might know exactly which bolts to remove to get to a certain part, but I might have to thoroughly clean the entire area to figure it out. Then I would check ALL nuts and bolts, usually finding a couple loose ones. I will also stop to reroute/tape rubbing or worn wiring, which a mechanic wouldn't mess with.
It might take me twice as long, but I usually feel better about the equipment afterwards.

I probably pulled the clutch assembly out of the old whisper chipper 8 times; really understood how to do it right by the 7'th.:rolleyes:

I do most basics but some stuff like I'm getting ready to put the 3rd generator in 2 years in my chipper? I don't understand what's going on with it. I'll take stuff to the shop but like to learn how to do it. I wish I had time to just go hang out at a couple different shops as a helper I would work for free.
I was watching the guy rebuild the gearbox on my 1 ton, looks easy enough if you know what order eveything goes in and how to get it apart.

I do it all from engine replacements to changing the tires, saves alot of money I guess, but sure does take up a lot of time. Wish we could get big enough to either run new equipment or hire a mechanic. But like 165 said, it would be hard for me to let a mechanic do a lot of the work. My brother and I are only a two man operation, he does the saws and I do the big stuff, works out pretty good.

Palmer

Originally posted by sonny
U have to be kidding 40.00 per hr. I will pack up & tell the family adios.Can I start tomorrow ?

That's Canadian pesos, Sonny. Equates to about $17 per hour.

Seems like most guys who are capable of figuring out complicated rigging in a tree can also figure out how to fix stuff. I think it's a certain type of gift, because I have met many smart and educated people who couldn't figure out how to change a spark plug, never mind chipper knives or alternators.

Oh well, I think I'd rather be handsome. Or rich. :p

I'd pay $40USD for someone who could work on all the equipment proficiently. Especially considering shop charges are $65/hour (including tools and shop space, admittedly). If you can have a trustworthy, hardworking, reliable individual, you can't pay them enough sometimes.

Nickrosis

My philosophy was to leave all but the basics to people who are supposed to be the professionals, who have all the tools etc. More efficient for me to be in a tree earning the money to pay for the professionals to do the work properly. The problem is, finding the professionals. Most garage mechanics and saw technicians just don't care, and don't seem to know what they're doing. Unless it involves buying special tools or needs lifting gear or something, I now do it myself...

If I can't fix it I'll give it away, throw it away, or sell it for parts.
Think I have about six pc of equipment sitting around waiting on the above decision.

Back