Establishing Chainsaw Value

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am not sure how to take that so I will just let it go with saying I am in a tough situation.
Sorry bill. That was an attempt at humor written before I understood how severe your injuries are
I am not sure how to take that so I will just let it go with saying I am in a tough situation.

You just stated in an above post that he said it wouldn't affect them. Which way is it?
It won't affect my taxes. Period. It still gets filed. It's a hobby, and I didn't make a profit.
Honestly did you even bother to read any of the information or fact sheets?

It won't affect my taxes. Period. It still gets filed. It's a hobby, and I didn't make a profit.

Name: Santos L. Halper

Income: What I finds, I keeps

That's all the IRS ever needs to know

I will never claim to be knowledgeable in tax laws. Growing up my father kept all the farm records and took them to a guy he worked with that was CPA and did taxes at night. When I started earning enough wages that I was going to need to file a return my dad took my information to the same guy. He filled out a 1040EZ and charged me a staggering $35 do it. Any of you that when statrting out have probably filed a 1040EZ. I can tell you I was astounded at the $35 charge (this was 33 year ago) I decided that day I file my own from that point forward. I file my own then when marries ours together. This included my wifes' several small businesss' and our rental properties. After awhile it got to be too much and I had a account do them. That $35 got multiplied by a factor of 15.

I have some saws/equipment on marketplace, Craigslist. I used to sell all of them on eBay. Once the lawns slow I’ll start listing there again. Marketplace seems to be loaded with assholes. Just yesterday I had a guy arguing with me about lawnmower I have listed. It needs carbwork to run. It’s a newer John Deere. If it was an older toro with a Kawasaki or Suzuki I’d dig into it. This I just wanted a quick sale. $50 for a clean self propelled mower with a bag. He offers $25 I decline. He tells me he’d have to put $100 in to get it to run, not my problem don’t buy it! Then starts saying I lied in the description, I wish I could have met him in person!

I will never claim to be knowledgeable in tax laws. Growing up my father kept all the farm records and took them to a guy he worked with that was CPA and did taxes at night. When I started earning enough wages that I was going to need to file a return my dad took my information to the same guy. He filled out a 1040EZ and charged me a staggering $35 do it. Any of you that when statrting out have probably filed a 1040EZ. I can tell you I was astounded at the $35 charge (this was 33 year ago) I decided that day I file my own from that point forward. I file my own then when marries ours together. This included my wifes' several small businesss' and our rental properties. After awhile it got to be too much and I had a account do them. That $35 got multiplied by a factor of 15.
Is there a point?

Is there a point?
Yes the point is when you are beyond your capability to make correct and legal tax decisions it is best to consult folks that possess that ability and do it on a daily basis.

Do you have a point in asking me if I had a point?

I have some saws/equipment on marketplace, Craigslist. I used to sell all of them on eBay. Once the lawns slow I’ll start listing there again. Marketplace seems to be loaded with assholes. Just yesterday I had a guy arguing with me about lawnmower I have listed. It needs carbwork to run. It’s a newer John Deere. If it was an older toro with a Kawasaki or Suzuki I’d dig into it. This I just wanted a quick sale. $50 for a clean self propelled mower with a bag. He offers $25 I decline. He tells me he’d have to put $100 in to get it to run, not my problem don’t buy it! Then starts saying I lied in the description, I wish I could have met him in person!
You love those guys. I used to have a ton of decent push mowers around here some near new from renters leaving in the dark of the night.. When My wife left she took one and told my son to scrap the rest so he did. I was left without one. I got on CL and as it turned out there was a guy just 5 miles up the road that had one. I hopped in the UTV and headed out. Turns out it was the same guy I had sold my last chipper to and was hoping to get it back but that was a no go as he was out of the tree business now and sold everything. I bought the push mower and others he had. There was no quarrel on price. I opened my wallet. The man never quarreled with me on the price of my chipper years ago so why would I now on a push mower.

Point is do not kick tires

Yes the point is when you are beyond your capability to make correct and legal tax decisions it is best to consult folks that possess that ability and do it on a daily basis.

Bill, some folks are best ignored. The Captain earned himself that after about the third asinine thing that farted out of his mouth.

Agreed, but be careful in determining who to consult. Everyone will tell you that they can help you. After dealing with roughly $36,000 worth of tax issues spread across 20 years and 3 different occasions, I came to the following conclusion. If you're asking how to keep track of your money, ask an accountant. If you're asking about tax law, or anything directly related to the IRS, go directly to a tax lawyer. My records were all accurate, and I was in the right every time, but no mater which CPA I took the issue to, nobody could make any progress. It was clear to every one of them that I was in the right, yet the IRS continued to add interest and penalties to my bill every time. The IRS is happy to go after smaller amounts of money (thousands or low tens of thousands). They find something where they've lost or conveniently ignore a small piece of information and then exploit the tax payer into paying or settling under threat of potentially loosing everything. That threat is very real because we subjects are not allowed to sue the IRS or Federal Government without their permission. After months of going through multiple CPAs on each issue (CPAs are cheaper to deal with than lawyers), I'd give up and go see a tax lawyer. From that point, the tax lawyer had the issue resolved in less than 4 weeks every time with me owing nothing to the IRS, and normally owing around $400 to the lawyer. Sucks to pay a lawyer $400 to file the exact same paperwork that the CPAs have been filing the whole time, but beats the heck out of paying several thousand dollars in "back taxes, fees, and penalties."

To be clear to everyone who doesn't believe that this statement is true, what the CPA is telling him is that his hobby income is so small compared to his primary income that additional tax burden isn't enough to be concerned about.

Be careful following that advice however. It may not be a big deal when considering it for a year or two. If you fail to report that income, it's not enough to make it worth their (IRS) time to file any paperwork. However, if it accumulates over the course of several years, and then the come across something that points to it 10 or 20 years later, your fees and penalties will end up being 2X to 3X (or more) more than what you originally would have owed. These new rules with ebay provides uncle same the ability to go back and find this information at any point. Very frustrating how they will accidently overlook or loose information that shows you've paid all the taxes that you owe, but they are amazing and finding every little crumb that could point to money you didn't report. The IRS is a bunch of thieving bass-tards that have been tasked with the job of funding an out of control government. When possible, its always best to trade, or deal in cash.

Bill, some folks are best ignored. The Captain earned himself that after about the third asinine thing that farted out of his mouth.
Well it sure seems that way. He/she/it must have a stick up his/her/its butt crossways.

To be clear to everyone who doesn't believe that this statement is true, what the CPA is telling him is that his hobby income is so small compared to his primary income that additional tax burden isn't enough to be concerned about.

Be careful following that advice however. It may not be a big deal when considering it for a year or two. If you fail to report that income, it's not enough to make it worth their (IRS) time to file any paperwork. However, if it accumulates over the course of several years, and then the come across something that points to it 10 or 20 years later, your fees and penalties will end up being 2X to 3X (or more) more than what you originally would have owed. These new rules with ebay provides uncle same the ability to go back and find this information at any point. Very frustrating how they will accidently overlook or loose information that shows you've paid all the taxes that you owe, but they are amazing and finding every little crumb that could point to money you didn't report. The IRS is a bunch of thieving bass-tards that have been tasked with the job of funding an out of control government. When possible, its always best to trade, or deal in cash.
It's still getting filed with my taxes, and by doing that reported to the irs. I've been through 2 audits already, never had any issues since my records are always accurate. Worst I had to deal with was when my Pop passed away. Took nearly 6 years to settle his estate. (Mainly due to deceit and liars trying to take what wasn't theirs, as per the will) I ended up getting audited 2 years after the settlement. Both time my account took care of the issue (s) and I came out non the worse for it.

The law it's self is bs, as you say and I said previously, it's a way foe the government to track our money. We've always been allowed to sell our personal items after we're done with them, and never had to report if we didn't make a profit. This just congests something was was and should be simple. I can see this bleeding to marketplace and Craigslist or whatever app you would use as a far reaching yard sale.

It's still getting filed with my taxes, and by doing that reported to the irs. I've been through 2 audits already, never had any issues since my records are always accurate. Worst I had to deal with was when my Pop passed away. Took nearly 6 years to settle his estate. (Mainly due to deceit and liars trying to take what wasn't theirs, as per the will) I ended up getting audited 2 years after the settlement. Both time my account took care of the issue (s) and I came out non the worse for it.

The law it's self is bs, as you say and I said previously, it's a way foe the government to track our money. We've always been allowed to sell our personal items after we're done with them, and never had to report if we didn't make a profit. This just congests something was was and should be simple. I can see this bleeding to marketplace and Craigslist or whatever app you would use as a far reaching yard sale.
How did that old saying go? Taxation without representation....

Latest posts

Back