estimating log weight

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aggiewoodbutchr

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Maybe I'm just slow tonight but I can't find any guidelines on estimating log weights. I have about a dozen logs I need to haul and need to figure out what equipment it will take.

Example: 22' long, 36" butt, 28" top, SYP felled yesterday

I used 32" as an average diameter => volume of 122CF

I looked up the specific gravity of SYP to be .54 => weight of log 4110 lbs.

Is my logic in line here? I'm assuming the listed SG of .54 is dry. If this is true, what % would you add to account for it being green?

Thanks-:help:

The Sherrill chart is from old Park Service info, its way off on butt logs from many species. Also I've found that it seems to be closer only in winter. At the expense of getting in trouble, give Treespyder a email He has the absolute best link ever to a excellent weight table. I used to hardtime him alot and after he posted that I shut my mouth, he saved my rear many times over with that info, Thanks Treespyder.:hmm3grin2orange: :bowdown:

Species, quality and the time of year harvested will have a lot to do with your weight. In N. Calif. We have had storm after storm since Feb. The trees take a lot of that moisture. Your logs won't weigh as much on a drought year - or if they have been bucked and sit around for awhile.
If you are getting paid by weight - ship them soon - if you are getting paid wood scale the it don't matter. Scale is scale and the lighter the wood - the more you can haul until height or weight restrictions occur.

Thanks for all the info.

I'm not selling these, just free logs for the mill. I aquired them from a commertial lot that was being cleared. I got some really good SYP and water oak saw logs out of it. One WO log is 40" at the butt, 38" at the top and 12' long.

Back