ethanol caused chrome cylinder in stihl saw to disappear?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RIP

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
my friend was told his cylinder was scored on his stihl saw due to e10 gas? i've never heard of this problem.will star gas additive or ethanol additive help with this problem if its true or should he and I use a lead substitute?thanks

E10 eats just about anything if it's left sitting in a tank or vehicle as well.

Fuel pumps, seals, hoses, you name it. I sure wish they'd get rid of E10. Not much good to it for seasonal items & vehicles.

How old is the saw? All we have hear is e10 fuel and yes there can be problems do to a number of reasons like improper containers, containers that aren't sealed, and where fuel is stored. Stiff diaphragms are one side effect along with hardened fuel lines do to chemical reactions. I've only experienced that once on a trimmer at work but that may have been more do to age.

The main problem is the manufacturer, for not building a product that will easily stand up against the effects of E10 fuel. It has been known for almost two decades now that ethanol will be added to the fuel up to 10% and still the manufacturers leave the customer to solve their ignorance.

About all snake oils out there are nothing else than some type of ethanol/methanol mixture. So all the fools adding their magic potion are only adding more alcohol and everybody swears by the positive effect against alcohol in the fuel... You just have to love that buisness model!!!

What about gasoline stabilizers like Sta Bil? I have a few seasonal toys that have pump premium, Techron and marine Sta Bil as a winterizing cocktail.

Back