Ethanol free in NY

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beerbelly

Mouth breather
Reaction score
I have noticed a few stations selling ethanol free 91 octane near me. (columbia county, NY).

I have used about 15 gallons of VP Racing SEF 50:1 in my Dolmar 5105 since I bought it new in 2012. That is all I have used & it runs great. I don't cut that much wood, about 10-12 cords/year. I cut my wood very short, hence the excessive amount of gas.

Should I continue to pay $80/5 gal jug ($16/gal), or now that I can get non-ethanol for around $3.35/gal, should I switch? I use cheap pump gas (with ethanol) in all my other 2 stroke stuff and they all run fine even if they sit, but since I bought the saw new, I wanted to use only good fuel and avoid problems. I can repair any problems that arise myself, but I would rather cut wood than fix saws!! Although, when it comes to the weed whacker I would rather drink beer than whack weeds....let it break!:laughing:

Sort of seems like a no brainer, but I would like some other opinions.

Thanks

Pump gas (even e-free) won't have the same shelf life as the VP, but coming from the pump you don't have to buy it 5 gallon at a time when you're not using it that much.
If I were you (if I were you), I'd buy the e-free 91 octane for all the two-stroke equipment, just keep one container of pre-mix for them all and be done with it.
That's actually what I've been doing for years now (like two decades); 91 e-free, one 2½ gallon container, one mix, for everything... life is so much more simple that way.
If, for some reason, the last of it gets 'round 3 months old without being used I dump it in the wife's van.

I use 91 E-free for all my saws and never have a problem with it keeping up to 6 months in a air tight can and a quality semi synthetic oil that has a stabilizer. I wont even drain my tank unless it going to be longer than 6 months but, it would be rare if it sat much longer than 3 months.

I say go for it. The price is definitely right vs the canned fuel.

Where in columbia county did you find it?

Edit-it looks like stewarts is starting to sell it in the area. Awesome!

so now we all know whats wrong with you,,, your from NY,,,, that explains a lot,,,,,,,,,,,, get the e-free,,,, been running it for over a year now since i found a place to get it

Sunoco race fuel is about $12/ around here and depending on which mix shelf life is 2 or 3 years.
That costs much less than the time and parts to rebuild parts fouled by fuel gone bad.

Judging by your location you could pick it up at Lime Rock track during race season.

so now we all know whats wrong with you,,, your from NY,,,, that explains a lot,,,,,,,,,,,, get the e-free,,,, been running it for over a year now since i found a place to get it
Listen...Mr KenDucky. Isn't it time for a snack!:laugh:

Where in columbia county did you find it?

Edit-it looks like stewarts is starting to sell it in the area. Awesome!
Stewarts in Hillsdale has it, and the station on the corner of 22 & 295 in Canaan NY. The Truck stop at Rt. 22 & the Mass Pike/NYS thruway USED to sell leaded race fuel. Don't know if they still do. Yes Lime Rock is close, I used to go there all the time & drive fast. Haven't been in a while. If I remember correct they had Sunoco 112 leaded.:rock: So I will go for the e-free when I use up the last of the SEF.

Thanks for all the replies.

Here is another question for you all.

If the station starts selling e-free, say a month ago. Obviously they didn't drain the underground tank of the ethanol gas. What is a good time frame to let the new stuff "take over" the old stuff in the tank. Should I buy an ethanol kit & test some?

Or should I just stop whining, not worry about it, and just buy some? I am really not all that concerned about it, but when I sink my teeth into an idea I always have to research the crap out of it. Picture the dead horse & me hitting it with a big stick! It's just me.

I am better off sticking with beer. I know how to do that, and I am good at it!

Here is another question for you all.

If the station starts selling e-free, say a month ago. Obviously they didn't drain the underground tank of the ethanol gas. What is a good time frame to let the new stuff "take over" the old stuff in the tank. Should I buy an ethanol kit & test some?

Or should I just stop whining, not worry about it, and just buy some? I am really not all that concerned about it, but when I sink my teeth into an idea I always have to research the crap out of it. Picture the dead horse & me hitting it with a big stick! It's just me.

I am better off sticking with beer. I know how to do that, and I am good at it!
if and i mean IF they did it right they should have pumped the tank completely

if and i mean IF they did it right they should have pumped the tank completely
I asked the manager at the Stewarts in Hillsdale today, and he said they run the tank almost empty, then they have a crew come & pump the remaining out. So I'll take it for what he says, and when it is time for more chainsaw gas, I'm going there. Good enough for a dope like me!

Back