Ethanol test kit - What a complete ripoff

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xwray

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
At the risk of appearing like I've lost it...

I have become interested in the ethanol content of the gasoline I have been purchasing. I googled up test kits and found that they were running anywhere from 20 - 30 bucks or so. For what is essentially an empty *bottle* with a couple of marks on it?! Ridiculous! Plus, they want you to buy some kind of

So, I bought a graduated 100 ml beaker, the tall kind, where each ml was marked off. What you then do is to put 25 ml water in it first. I used distilled water but I don't know if that's really necessary. Then you fill it up to the 100 ml mark with your gasoline test sample, stick a stopper in it, and shake vigorously for a minute or so. Then let it sit a settle for 2-3 minutes. Take a looksee at the phase boundary betwween the water and gasoline...it will be very visible.

If your gasoline had any ethanol in it at all (or even water) you will notice that the boundary is higher than the 25 ml mark that represented how much water you initially put into the beaker. The reason for this is that whatever "contaminants" were in the gasoline have now become absorbed by the water you put into the beaker thus raising the water level to a new mark. You will also notice that there is no longer 100 ml of liquid in the beaker...it didn't go anywhere, it's just that when the ethanol was pulled out of the gasoline it's volume decreased by that amount as it became one with the water you put in.

What you now do is to determine how much higher the boundary is now...that represents in ml how much ethanol was pulled out of the gasoline. Say it's sitting on 30 now, that means you had 5 ml of ethanol contained in the 75 ml of gas you put into the beaker. Now divide the amount of the ethanol, 5 ml, by the amount of the gasoline you originally put into the beaker, 75 ml, and you come up with .06 or 6%; ie, your gasoline sample contained 6% ethanol.

I suspect this simplified version is not as accurate as a more controlled test but I believe it is accurate as it needs to be to get a pretty good idea of what all you're putting into your gas tank.

All without a "kit".

You could even make your own calibrated container for free...I bought my 100 ml beaker for 4 bucks because it makes it so easy - each division is 1% and it just makes it easier to do the math. Plus, I have other ideas in mind for it so I rationalized the purchase.

This ain't rocket science I don't see the need to buy a rocket to do it.

This isn't entirely original...just some ideas strung together while researching "test kits". Hmm, perhaps I could market tiny empty bottles and sell them for 20-30 bucks too...

That's my story and Im sticking to it.

ps:

Sometimes weird ideas pop into my head when I'm playing around with such stuff. In this case the weird idea was: why couldn't I mix up a gallon of gasoline/water mixture in something like a sun tea bottle, let it settle, open up the bottom valve and let the water run out and voila - pure gasoline with no ethanol remains in the jug.

Yes , I've done the same test and I'm a chemist.

What you referred to is a graduated cylinder. I'd suggest a 100-mL version for such a test. The overall volume of the mixture should not change , much (< 1%), upon shaking, unless some is spilled.

Pure gasoline (99+% hydrocarbons) will show a separate phase by itself if water is present. Water is insoluble in hydrocarbons.

As you stated, the ethanol extracted into the water layer represents the alcohol in the gasohol sample.

For $30 a "kit", a good living can be made selling graduated cylinders........

Anybody interested in some snake oil that will cure...........

Thanks

Thanks for the info.

I'll be testing the non-ethanol fuel I've been buying.

In an econmoical fashion.

Yes , I've done the same test and I'm a chemist.

What you referred to is a graduated cylinder. I'd suggest a 100-mL version for such a test. The overall volume of the mixture should not change , much (< 1%), upon shaking, unless some is spilled.

Pure gasoline (99+% hydrocarbons) will show a separate phase by itself if water is present. Water is insoluble in hydrocarbons.

As you stated, the ethanol extracted into the water layer represents the alcohol in the gasohol sample.

For $30 a "kit", a good living can be made selling graduated cylinders........

Anybody interested in some snake oil that will cure...........

Thanks for amplifying and confirming the process. Regarding the volume change...I was surprised to see the decrease in volume too...I am quite sure I didn't spill any of the mixture but I am going to rerun the test to see what happens...

ps:
Sometimes weird ideas pop into my head when I'm playing around with such stuff. In this case the weird idea was: why couldn't I mix up a gallon of gasoline/water mixture in something like a sun tea bottle, let it settle, open up the bottom valve and let the water run out and voila - pure gasoline with no ethanol remains in the jug.

Mad Professor:
Since you are a chemist, this sounds like a way to remove ethanol from gas, lets hear your opinion, will it work?

Howdy,
Like everyone else out there marketing, we try to get our product to crawl to the top. Things like this thread actually help a lot when it comes to climbing the ladder. It always amazes me when I go to search something, the AS always seems to be at the top, or very close. Although I will admit, my searches are narrowed mostly to our industry.
Regards
Gregg

Mad Professor:
Since you are a chemist, this sounds like a way to remove ethanol from gas, lets hear your opinion, will it work?

Yes, but you'd have no way of knowing the octane rating of the remaining "gasoline". Ping Ping Ping....??????

You also have to be careful in the phase separations or you will get a bit of the aqueous layer (mostly water). The best device is a separatory funnel, they are not cheap. You could make a rigged up device that would do the job, something like an old time sediment/water bowl used on old tractors. When the water stops coming through, collect the gasoline.

We just ran a forensics workshop where we determined the alcohol content in "moonshine"/beer, calibrated breathalyzers, etc. The best fun was getting the vollunteers snookered to have them blow into the BAC devices.

Yes, but you'd have no way of knowing the octane rating of the remaining "gasoline". Ping Ping Ping....??????

You also have to be careful in the phase separations or you will get a bit of the aqueous layer (mostly water). The best device is a separatory funnel, they are not cheap. You could make a rigged up device that would do the job, something like an old time sediment/water bowl used on old tractors. When the water stops coming through, collect the gasoline.

We just ran a forensics workshop where we determined the alcohol content in "moonshine"/beer, calibrated breathalyzers, etc. The best fun was getting the vollunteers snookered to have them blow into the BAC devices.

I like the idea of a funnel separator thingy or a more sophisticated device based on that principle that some smart person could come up with. If one could "seperate" out a couple gallons of gas fairly quickly you would really have a way to get garbage free gas without relying on what the gov tells you you are getting. The only fly in the ointment would be the octane rating as you point out. Is there a homebrew test that could be performed that would provide a reasonable guess of the octane (wouldn't have to be perfect) without those variable compression motors or other expensive test equipment?

It's kind fun thinking about this but probably not too practical but you never know...who know what somebody might come up with once the lunatics start really cranking up the ethanol content and all manner of evil things start to befall our motors.

Back