Ethanol wash problems

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It is a federal mandate that fuel can not contain more than 10% Ethenol unless otherwise posted. Ethenol is nothing new it has been used at 10% ratios since the early 80's. Im originally from MN and every station has had 10% ethenol as state mandate since I remember. Only issues with ethenol is that is absorbs water. That translates that if you have good fuel storage practices you will not have any issues if you have poor fuel practices then you will continue to have issues. On old products 60's and 70's you may have some swelling of rubber components. At the very most if you run an ethenol blended fuel you may have to richen the carb up a little bit but it will not take much. If your testing fuel and it is over 10% contact the local government.

Well said. Ethanol is not new or as big an issue as some seem to think. I put concerns about E10 in the welcome to the 1980s category.

Ive read a stihl bulletin that states ethanol no problem when mixed with stihl 2/ oil.

You guys finding otherwise?

As far as I know, there are no manufacturers cautioning against using E10...Shindaiwa does say that using anything more than that will void the engine warranty.

Ok just for arguments sake, that was the first seizure of E15. Im no campaigner for ethenol, that $hit will never go anywhere near my gear............. but...... how are u sure it was the fuel to blame? Only asking as we have just seen E10 at one company here, want to know what to look for

Thanks for the info

STK

Again it is a FEDERAL mandate that fuels in the U.S CANNOT contain more than 10% Ethenol unless otherwise marked. The tests that are available to most delaerships are a test to see if there is ethenol in the fuel it is not alway 100% accurate as well. There are some blender pumps showing up in the midwest that you can choose how much ethenol to add to your purchase and that is becoming a big concern because information on these pumps is very scarce.

OK.. I'm REEEALY newbie here but I want to ask a clarifying question..

I've seen two different gasoline mix additive names used here... most are saying ethAN-ol and others are saying ethEN-ol. They are two different organic compounds that would have different combustive properties (higher/lower ignition point, vapor pressure, etc) and also have different reactivities to other long-chain organics (plastic tanks, rubber seals, gaskets).

Are you discussing the same gas-ahols?

Also,
Originally Posted by icelation8
It is a federal mandate that fuel can not contain more than 10% Ethenol unless otherwise posted.

The caveat here is, "Unless otherwise posted." I'm willing to bet that some places would put E-20 out for sale and 'post' some sign on a wall around a corner.

Tony the cynic.

A good friend who runs a stihl dealarship commented a few years ago about the rash of seized saws from nearby states that had went to 10% ethanol.

Before that happened I purchased a 55-gal drum of non-corn fed 93 octane premium. When that ran out I refilled with 100LL. Other than 100LL running richer in most saws ( ca. 1/8-1/4 turn), NO PROBLEMS AND I"VE RUN 6 MONTH OLD MIX.

I won't risk a saw that costs as much as 100-150+ gallons of fuel.

Ethanol

There's more to it than just the 10%. Fuel is losing it's volatility much quicker than before. It's not moisture absorption either. I believe there has been some strain of alcohol in fuel for 20 years. I admit I don't know, but can't trust anything the oil companys (or Uncle Sam) say.

Found E-10 for the first time yesterday.

Ryobi trimmer, complaint was it wouldnt crank.

Compression came back 95psi, thats decent, worth more investigation.

Good spark.

The fuel looked fine, but smelled very different. It didnt smell like bad gas, but it didnt smell like gas either...I broke out the tester, filled it to the first line with distilled water, then topped it off with gas out of the trimmer, shook it for 30 seconds, and to my surprise it didnt seperate instantly like its done before. It took about 2 minutes for the water to precipitate at the bottom of the vial.

So the seperation line ends up dead on E-10.

I put in good fresh gas and pulled the rope and the thing flooded in 3 pulls...

Pulled the muffler, piston looked decent at best, but the engine was now fuel logged. I blew it out, pulled the carb and the kit looked good, needle wasnt stuck or anything. But I put a kit in for good measure. Pulled 5 times, no choke and it was blowing fuel out the exh. port.

Blew it out again, unflooded it. No choke, pulled 5 times, fuel pouring out the exh. port once again.

Im guessing the welch plugs in the carb are leaking bad, or soemthing else...

Regardless..about 55 for a carb, plus I put rope on the sonofab*tch, 30 dollars, plus tax..Cost of a brand new one. Customer said not to repair. $15 serv. fee wonderful.

Now I know why I hate Ryobi's.....:censored:

Went to a local airport today and bought 10 gallons of 100 Octane LL fuel.

Mixed up a couple of gallons of fuel for the 2 cycle equipment.

It is more expensive, but figure it is worth the insurance.

Last edited:
Again it is a FEDERAL mandate that fuels in the U.S CANNOT contain more than 10% Ethenol unless otherwise marked. The tests that are available to most delaerships are a test to see if there is ethenol in the fuel it is not alway 100% accurate as well. There are some blender pumps showing up in the midwest that you can choose how much ethenol to add to your purchase and that is becoming a big concern because information on these pumps is very scarce.

Blender pumps are very well marked. A different colored hose is used for blends over E10. You have to push a button that has the amount of ethanol right on it, E20, E30, E50, and E85.

http://minnesota.publicradio.org/display/web/2007/11/12/ethanolanniversary/

What did you pay for it?

Great for equipment... but, be careful breathing exhaust... Lead....

After all the taxes, it was 5.699/gallon. Bought 10 gallons

It started out at 5.39/gallon and then the following taxes were added:
Fuel FET: 1.94
State Fuel Tax: 0.53
Flowage Fee: 0.50
PA Underground Storage: 0.11
Superfund/Oil Spill: 0.01

Back