ethonal

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

amberg

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Just like to know how many of you guys go out of your way to get non ethonal gas for your saws. I have to drive
21 miles to a marina to find any. @0.86 cents more per gallon. I think it is worth the trip. opinions any one?

I have e-free gas close, but I think if it's all you had just keep it fresh and don't let it sit around. Jmo

Yes, it's worth it. Have you tried the puregas website to find a station? Just beware, the data is volunteered by anyone, is not monitored, and may be outdated. If the pumps put out multiple grades with one hose, the hose might have a quart of ethanol gas. So, pump the first gallon in your vehicle then fill your saw tank. Finally, test it yourself. I just switched to ethanol free this year. My ethanol content got up to 13% causing tygon fuel line to harden quickly.

http://www.amazon.com/Mallory-9-79816-Fuel-Tester/dp/B004B7WCO0

http://pure-gas.org/

When ever I can I try not to run ethanol fuel through my saws. I have access to 91 octane zero ethanol and access to Sunoco 94 octane zero ethanol easily. But if I had to drive 20 + miles to get it well two each is own. If the gas station you have access to has only one hose on each pump and it has other available octanes with ethanol in it and you go get a gallon of let's say 91 octane zero ethanol and the person before you bought 87 octane with ethanol. There's is going to be that 87 octane with ethanol gas in the hose until the 91 octane zero ethanol gets pumped through the hose.

Just like to know how many of you guys go out of your way to get non ethonal gas for your saws. I have to drive
21 miles to a marina to find any. @0.86 cents more per gallon. I think it is worth the trip. opinions any one?

Once a year I buy a 55-gallon drum of avgas to run in the machines. I usually mix 50:50. I think it is worth it.

Ethanol is very easy to test for. Get a test tube, or plain blood collection tube, any glass cylinder. Add gas and mark how full it is with yer gas. Add same amount of water to tube. If it is pure, the gas - water interface will be at the mark. If the mark is 10% away from the gas water interface, you have 10% ethanol. Very easy if you have a graduated cylinder.

I am going to visit my brother and do a little deer hunting while in Oklahoma next week. I am taking 4, 5 gallon gas cans to bring back to Commiefornia some E-free gasoline. Beats $70 for 5 gallons VP small engine fuel.

Don't have gasohol here in AK. Gas is crazy cheap right now too. I filled up my dump truck for $75!. It was $2.48/gal!

Last year I was paying almost $5/gal for off road diesel, it's $2.25 right now.

Have worked on a few saws and mowers from outside (L48) and the fuel lines were all mush from the gasohol.

Ethanol free gas 15 minutes from my house, but so is any gas station so no big deal to me. Took me awhile to find it though because I used to go to any gas station and fill up with high test, dump in some oil, and put it in my 2 stroke equipment. Then reading in here what ethanol can do, decided to investigate non-ethanol gas stations close to home and found one. I don't know, it kinda gives me piece of mind knowing that I've eliminated at least one thing that can cause downtime in my equipment. I know its gonna go down occasionally but not from ethanol induced problems!!

Been running 100LL for years now, airports are close. But we finally have E-free premium available again nearby. All small equipment and tractors are running that now besides the 2-strokes. May try that soon.

The mixed 100LL stores great. Have not seen any degradation even after more than a year. I store mix in metal coleman fuel cans.

Anybody know if E-free has other "oxygenated" CRAP that will eat your fuel system?

One store in the whole county carries 93 octane 100% gas.
That, and Red Armor oil is all I use for any small engines.

I just got 10 gallons of 93 octane real gas yesterday. It's worth the $30 to me.
No non-ethanol gas is sold here within 108-160 miles of me in any direction, but whenever
I'm in an area where it's sold, I stock up for the next 2-3 months. More peace of mind and less
maintenance/replacements in my working saws. I use about 10 cords a year.

I can get 87 E-free 25 min round trip.

My MS391 and 460 call for 89 octane plus in the manual. If I'm just screwing around with them, I'm not afraid to run the 87 in them. When I'm going to lean on them or run for extended periods of time, I use tru-fuel just because of the octane rating.

For other saws that don't specify higher octane, 87 E-free.

I don't know of a hi-octane E-free near me. But I do have a small regional airport nearby. I need to do my reading on 100LL and decide if I'd rather do that than trufuel.

But to get at the OP, yes, I'll go out of my way for E-free. And I flip a LOT of saws that I buy for cheap on CL that just need a carb kit and fuel lines. Obviously the previous owners were NOT using E-free. Trashed fuel lines on a 3-year old saw says something.

Back