Evenrude Tech

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Termite

Time To Launch
Reaction score
I was wondering what makes the "new" Evenrude Etec tick? What new technology they use? Does anyone have any experience with them? Does anyone have a link to good info on one?

/

E-Tec means they just caught up with Mercury and Yamaha. :msp_biggrin:

I do hear good stuff about em and they seem better than old Evinrudes.

Probably better to ask on a boat motor forum. ;)

It is a direct fuel injection system. It does work as advertised. You get the benefits of 2-stroke (light weight, power, speed), but with the fuel savings of the 4-stroke. They really sip the gas. You can also run them 100:1 as long as you used the special oil, you'll have to sign a contract for that, then the technician will hook up the comp and reprogram the motors' comp to 100:1. The default is 50:1.

BUT, if you run over 80% throttle, the fuel usage jumps to the standard 2-stroke maxim of 10% of the rated horsepower. Example is you have a 175 hp and you run full throttle. You''' burn about 17.5 gallons per hour.

BUT, if you loo up all the examples on Honda's, Suzuki's and Yammie's websites, their 4-strokers will burn exactly the same (10% rated hp), once you get to 80% throttle.

From what I have seen when I worked at a business dealing with both recreational and pro fishermen, the E tech is good when it is running. Sadly that seems to be not all that often.
Several pro's turned to E Tech only to swap to a four stroke outboard, typically a Yamaha within 12 months. The language they used when describing their E Techs would have made a sailor blush.
A few of these pro's were what I would describe as "high class operators" and all their gear was maintained in pristine condition - after all their lives and livelihoods depended upon it, so I would be surprised if abuse and misuse were real factors.

BRP, Bombardier Recreational Products, bought Evinrude in about 2006 primarily to get the E-Tech technology to use in their snowmobiles and watercraft. It made 2 stroke engines burn cleaner than a 4 stroke without the weight and complexity that comes with a 4 stroke.

I have a 2007 E-Tech on my bass boat and the only thing I have ever done is change 1 set of plugs, probably due to my idling around a lot, change the gear case oil and a water pump, pretty much routine maintenance. You very rarely see any smoke and it is very easy on oil and it hardly knows what gas is compared to my previous outboards.

The technology involves computer controlled direct injection and if I recall correctly, spraying the oil directly on key components like crankshaft bearings rather than just injecting it in the fuel. This allows for a well lubricated engine without burning all the oil in the gas thus the reason they meet tougher EPA requirements.

I myself have never had a problem and talking with some other owners at the docks, I cannot recall anyone having any real issues. I would certainly buy another. Although I no longer ride snowmobiles I have several friends that do, most have the E-Tech Ski-Doo's and other than a sensor problem on one they report great running sleds that are easy on fuel and oil, just like my outboard.

I heard the first one's were no good OMC started to make them, it did not turn out the way they wanted to They made good motors since the 50's more reliable until they put all they this money into this Etec BRP bought them out and they dropped the Johnson name and now they make most of them in Wisconsin.

I've not owned an E-Tec, but have had 3 Evenrudes (25hp, 40hp, 235hp). 3 Mercurys (25hp, 225hp, 20hp jet) and one Yamaha 40hp 4 stroke. Was in the commercial fishing business from 1979-1989, north Fl gulf coast. At that time Mercury was the better outboard for us, But a Cat 3208 Diesel was by far the most reliable in our small fleet. :) Most everybody was going to Yamaha for outboards at the time we got out of it and we were ready to go to Yamaha also.

Had a 4 stroke 40hp Yamaha a few years ago that was the smoothest, quietest outboard I've ever been around. Very nice motor!!!

Have a 20hp Merc jet now and love it, 8 years old. Same old 25hp power head I had back in the 80's. Bullet proof and never a problem at all!

You couldn't give me a rattily Mercury, Steve

I actually like all 3 brands. Had a 225 Merc on a 25' boat, fast as hell and good on fuel, but broke the drive shaft a couple times in less than two years (probably our fault running it too hard in rough seas). Put a 235 Evenrude on it, speed dropped and fuel used almost doubled. :msp_scared:

Had a Merc 25 and a Evenrude 25 on 16' Jons back in the late 80's. The Rude was fine, but the Merc was a lot faster and I love that choppy hot rod idle! :msp_biggrin:

I've not owned an E-Tec, but have had 3 Evenrudes (25hp, 40hp, 235hp). 3 Mercurys (25hp, 225hp, 20hp jet) and one Yamaha 40hp 4 stroke. Was in the commercial fishing business from 1979-1989, north Fl gulf coast. At that time Mercury was the better outboard for us, But a Cat 3208 Diesel was by far the most reliable in our small fleet. :) Most everybody was going to Yamaha for outboards at the time we got out of it and we were ready to go to Yamaha also.

Had a 4 stroke 40hp Yamaha a few years ago that was the smoothest, quietest outboard I've ever been around. Very nice motor!!!

Have a 20hp Merc jet now and love it, 8 years old. Same old 25hp power head I had back in the 80's. Bullet proof and never a problem at all!

They were good

[video=youtube_share;JTc3q4pTwxg]http://youtu.be/JTc3q4pTwxg[/video]

Prior to my E-Tech, I owned numerous outboards, Pretty much all Mercury. None, I repeat NONE have ever come close to this E-Tech I now own. I am sometimes slow to embrace new technology but eventually I come around. Hey I might even own a computer controlled saw some day!

Sunfish if you check I think you will find that Merc no longer makes that 25 HP 2 stroke powerhead. I inherited my Dad's small fishing boat with a mid 90's version of that engine. It does indeed work good but is prone to the typical 2 stroke flaws, like exhaust smoke.... But at least I can fix it, something I cannot do with the E-tech because of the specialized tools required.

Prior to my E-Tech, I owned numerous outboards, Pretty much all Mercury. None, I repeat NONE have ever come close to this E-Tech I now own. I am sometimes slow to embrace new technology but eventually I come around. Hey I might even own a computer controlled saw some day!

Sunfish if you check I think you will find that Merc no longer makes that 25 HP 2 stroke powerhead. I inherited my Dad's small fishing boat with a mid 90's version of that engine. It does indeed work good but is prone to the typical 2 stroke flaws, like exhaust smoke.... But at least I can fix it, something I cannot do with the E-tech because of the specialized tools required.

Yes, I bought my Merc 25hp in 2005, last year it was offered. Yamaha was somehow involved with this one at some point. Probably the best 25hp power head ever made. No flaws with mine...I like a little 2 stroke exhaust smoke.:msp_biggrin:

I really like Go Devil outboards! Sold them in north Fl in the 80s'. :msp_biggrin:

Sold Honda too, when 15hp was their largest.

Latest posts

Back