Ever have a stove "pulse"

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
All I can say is DONT OPEN THE DOOR when its doin that sjit! I know a guy here that had a homemade wood stove kneeled down and open the door latch to see if he could figure it out and WHAM the door slammed him in the face. He was unconcious for hours until someone found him nearly dead. He now is a dimm (er) wit with a plate in his head.

Kansas

My owb has done that on occasion when it has a really hot fire going, Usually after I add some cardboard or something to burn out the creosote and then close the door. You can hear the trap door on the blower slamming back and forth as it puffs.

Other then the noise, my double barrel stove was acting the same way until recently. I was gettin alot of smoke back out the door.Draft seemed insufficient. I finally found the problem. I had a 6 inch horizontal pipe that was totally plugged with Creasote. And I mean PLUGGED. check out the pic. But beware, when I cleared and re-installed I still had alittle buildup in the upper barrel. The fire followed up into the barrel, (let's just say it got HOT). I had to put a fan on the out-put stove pipe to keep it from meltin til it burned itself clean. Now draft is great and I could leave the door wide open if I wanted to. No **** look at the pic.:angry2:

:jawdrop:

I call it "huff and puff". I've seen it a lot. It is exactly what a few other folks said, it is too little air in your stove. You throw a bunch of really dry really little stuff in there and it starves for air and huffs and puffs. My advice is to mix that little stuff with some wetter bigger stuff....

Back