Ever have one of those days

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spidermonkey17

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Figured be a good day to organize the wood pile and cut cookies so i could have them all stocked pile and ready to split and not have to deal with it later, before we do more tree removals and be ahead of the game but i should have known it was going to be a bad day.
Went to 7-11 and bought a cup of coffee and some smokes and got in the truck, took the first sip out of the cup, guess what top came off and went all over my lap, thank god i was at a stop light, otherwise that could have been bad. Get to the yard get the loader fired up and start moving logs and other BS around and notice that my hydraulic hose is leaking. No spare around and don't feel like going to town to get a new hose/fittings. Have enough wood around to buck up and decide to do that. Go to the splitter to fire it up and get it warmed up, Pull a few times on the cord and guess what i snapped the cord sending me flying back. After a few choice words and the rain/mist starting up decided best to go get some parts and head home. Should have just stayed home hahah, anyone else have those days?

I'm confused - what other kinds of days would there be? I've been known to walk around muttering "how come I can never use anything without fixing the damn thing first?".

Remember, it's all a test.

Mine like that only happen when the spelling ends in the letter y. The rain/mist started here early so I didn't even bother to head out. Nothing good on the tube. Day of maintenance out in the shop that is not going well. Third trip to the hardware store coming up shortly.

You pretty much described every day of my life since birth. Every new project takes at least twice as long and costs twice as much as originally planned and there is a minimum of 3 diversions along the way to deal with totally unexpected issues that pop up. ***sigh........***

Ever have one of those days

Ah, yes. Columbus Day. Set off for the woods before daylight.

Forgot to secure the spare tire in the trailer and hit a bump going up the logging road. Oh what a thrill! The spare arced gracefully up into the air, landed on the shoulder of the road, and rolled a good 100 yards down hill.

Forgot to move my cellphone from my belt to my pocket. Took me 2 hours to find it.

Cut a huge hickory tree that was obviously leaning to the North, and that was good 'cause that where I wanted it to go. I got a good face cut, a good back cut with a good hinge, tapped the wedges a time or two, and watched the tree fall due West right across the road (must have been a brief shift in the Earth's center of gravity).

And then the next day...a couple dozen chigger bites distributed across various parts of my anatomy.

Nope, never have. All my projects are on time, on budget, and go exactly as planned.

And if you believe that one I'd like to sell you a bridge or perhaps some ocean front property?

M

Hehe.

Loaded the skid steer the night before, got up before dawn to get to the cutting site (trees already down, just need to be cut to length and loaded on the trailer).

1. 30+ inch diameter logs pinched and rolled my saw a few times - rough start to the day.

2. Spent about 10x as long loading the first 8,000-10,000 lbs as I should have - stupid logs kept rolling off trailer or up against tires. (still haven't added the extra stakes to protect the tires). It was downright embarrassing.

3. FInally got home with the first load, off-loading logs one 2,000lb stick rolled under trailer, no way to roll it back out. A little back and forth and manage to get it securely wedged between truck and trailer. Snagged a light wire bundle on trailer and yanked a few of them out. Took forever to free the stinking trailer.

4. Back at the cutting site for load #2 for the day and discover the umbilical got caught on the hitch somehow and cut through the outer and inner insulation, shorted brake circuit, blew fuse. Quality time rolling around in cow manure to repair that damage - then on to the cutting and loading again.

5. Trimmed a few hangers from the logs on the trailer - managed to dig into the trailer deck with the saw in three places!!!!! CRAP.

6. I am downhill from the 2500# log on the trailer that decides that gravity rules - nearly got turned to mush by that one. The peavey was yanked out of my hand and the wood handle was crushed as though it wasn't even there.

7. Gave up - getting dark, loaded skid steer and headed home. Pulling out of pasture faster than I should have I notice that I have twin fountains of cow manure behind me (no fenders on the trailer) that thoroughly coated my rig (truck and Bobcat) with fresh CRAP!!!! Tightening the chains was a real thrill after that.

All the stupid crap conspired to turn what should have been a 40,000lb day into a 16,000lb day.

Some days it just doesn't pay to get out of bed.

We planted some new grass this year, and I have been trying to do everything right. Time came for a dose of fertilizer. I bought a bag from the hardware store.

Around an hour before sunset on Sunday, I decide to get it done. Within about 20 feet, my spreader jams up and the axle gear which runs up to drive the spinning parts strips, and makes all sorts of noises. It's an old spreader, so I conclude it's shot after a brief attempt to fix it.

I go out to the hardware store to buy a new spreader. There's only one left on the shelf, and it has no bar code. They spend about 25 minutes looking it up so that I can give them $49. By that time it's too dark to spread that evening.

Next day, I dump the fertilizer from the old spreader into the new spreader and try again. Within about 20 feet, it clogs up. Turns out the fertilizer must have gotten wet, and clumps. Won't run through the feed chute.

Back to the hardware store to return the fertilizer and find a dry bag. Success. Have about an hour of daylight left.

Get home, back down the driveway, and partially run over the new spreader (I had left it in a strategic location for spreading, but not good for parking a car). Spent about 45 minutes fixing that. Too dark to spread.

On day three, Tuesday, I was able to get the fertilizer down. So it only took about 72 hours, $49, and 36 miles of driving back and forth to the hardware store.

Someone please remind me why I have grass...

always something...

working in a lonesome pasture 60 miles from home and...

forgot to bring water

had a hedge branch "gently" brush my face on it's arc to the ground

drove over a stump in the tallgrass at speed and my head left a dent in the top of the SS cab

tore a tooth off the grapple moving a mid-sized hedge tree

thankfully not all in one day...so far

hooray for chewing tobacco and coffee!

After a good day saturday I decided to run by carwash and spray truck off.It seems the last person that used it thought it was a good idea to tape trigger down.When I put last quarter in and hit the ON button all heck broke loose.the hose and I had a battle royal right there in the car wash stall.After recieving a good Knot on the side of my head I felt rather manly that I had captured the stupid wand.
As I looked around some kid about ten years old who must have watched the whole scene asked"why didnt you just turn it off you had you finger right on the button?"Bet he was thinking heres you sign.

My reply,,not a word just got in truck and came home.

Mine seem to start off when my boot laces break in the morning, i try not to leve the house on days like that

Well, I got poison ivy again. Hope to take good care of it this time. Tecnu'd the snot out of it already, will do so again in the shower tonight.
What do you do for this condition? Finally in my old age my body decided it dose not tolerate the IVY any more.
What is best remedy for this condition?????

What do you do for this condition? Finally in my old age my body decided it dose not tolerate the IVY any more.
What is best remedy for this condition?????

Stay away from poison ivy ;)

I have developed sensitivity to it as well and I find that if I scrub really well in the shower it tends to not be too bad. I have used technu, but regular bar soap works fine - but you have to scrub! They key is to wash the uriosol off within a few hours of contact.

Thing is I never know that I have made contact till I break out. Where I am cutting I can not find any plants.
Wondering if it could be something else??

Stay away from poison ivy ;)

I have developed sensitivity to it as well and I find that if I scrub really well in the shower it tends to not be too bad. I have used technu, but regular bar soap works fine - but you have to scrub! They key is to wash the uriosol off within a few hours of contact.
I agree. I may be starting to get more sensitive to it, as I got it pretty heavily this year - but then I did spend two days cutting up fresh juicy vines as big as my arm, and a lot of the older stuff got burned with the rotten junk. Generally, I wash everything exposed as often as possible, with lots of soap, and if there's any growing nearby I smear exposed skin with jewelweed. Also, when I'm working there's not much exposed skin anyway. I look at it this way - it's a lot less serious than lyme, and at least you can see the poison ivy.

Back