Ever see one of these?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No spark was said to be a common problem on the electronic ones as the coils crapped out often. It shouldnt be too hard to find another though. If your looking for the auto oiler, I'll give you a hint. Look under the flywheel. :ices_rofl:

That's a neat looking old saw. I like the chip "discharge" port....:blob2:

That's a Frontier built saw. Quadra engine. 30-ish cc. Sold by Skil and several others. I have a 944 Type-1, which is an earlier version. The saw pictured one of the later versions with the electronic ign. That's not a chip discharge port. It's an exhaust outlet. Some later versions of that saw series had a passage in the clutch cover to cool the exhaust a bit before it exited. That's why there's cooling fins on the clutch cover. The clutch hub will most likely have fins on it (similar to a flywheel) as well. Wierd stuff. Somebody here posted pics of the muffler, inside of the clutch cover, and clutch setup on one of those saws a few months ago.

Wow! Yes I have seen one of those, and I may have used one too! Not long ago I was talking to my Dad about his first saw, and he had a red Sears/Roper 3.7 which I used, worked on and remember clearly. But I kept picturing a yellow Skil - very much like this one if not identical. Dad just does not remember it, and I only vaguely did, but that is really his first saw.

Rep sent for jogging old memories!

The only way to get the sparkplug out is to pull the recoil. I "cranked" it with a cordless drill from the clutch side to check for spark. No compression with plug out. That should be fast enough to get spark don't you think? Switch is good but bypassed it anyway.

The exhaust is very weird as mentioned. It could be un-corked in many ways so there is some curiosity factor driving me to get it fired up. It is so simple and light that I think it would rip if I put a decent chain on it.

Not sure how durable it would be, kind of rinkey dink. The flywheel says made in USA, lots of other parts labeled Canada. We shall see!

See if you can find a 35 Husqvarna and get the flywheel and ignition off of it. Seems to last longer. Don't let that little saw fool you. If it's running right it will cut and leave your hands numb.

James

219279d1327369836-skil-chainsaw-002-jpg

219282-skil-chainsaw-006-jpg

219283-skil-chainsaw-005-jpg

Here are your pics.

I have one sitting on the shelf in the garage.It's beat up but fired when I driped fuel in the carb.Found it in my wifes grandmothers shed.

Last edited:
You have to elongate one of the slots in the module. Be cheaper to buy another skil with points off ebay. They bring around 10 and take two and make one. Have to swap cranks because the electronic has no cam to activate the points.

Get it going and you'll be amazed at how fast it is. Set it up with 1/4 inch chain and give a lot of new saws a run for their money in 6" and under wood

James

I had one similar a few years ago I found at a farm auction. Only paid a buck or so for it, and I got it running when I got home. Pretty cool little saws.

See if you can find a 35 Husqvarna and get the flywheel and ignition off of it. Seems to last longer. Don't let that little saw fool you. If it's running right it will cut and leave your hands numb.

James

Parts from the 16 series Skil saws will fit. You can use a points type coil & Nova/Other type chip for a saw that has had electronic ignition& do not have to change the crank

I'd like to get it running, but I'm not going to replace the crankshaft. Thanks for the advise. DW
You can have mine for parts,pm me and we can go from there.But beware,I procrastenate but allways get the job done.Mine is a skilsaw 1613 standard solid-state ignition.Like I said earlier it fired just putting gas in the carb.Not the same model and the clutch cover is not the same so you mite want to check if the parts are interchangable.Every thing but that looks the same.Just read Little Al's post and the man said it would work.

Last edited:
Well Biggysmalls sent me a parts saw for free! (lay the rep to him boys) I took the coil out of it and installed in my saw. I have fire now. Carb kit & fuel line and she should be up and running. Thanks for the help. Hope to post pic of running saw or video if I can figure that out?

I got one in red with a chain brake in my last score.
100_6184.jpg

100_6182.jpg

100_6186.jpg

100_6183.jpg

100_6187.jpg

Duane,glad the coil worked.I knew it had fire but that was almost a year ago.You could see why I wasn't in a hurry to make it a runner,it was a little rough.

Thanks to everyone. I got the saw running and it works slick on small stuff & it will cut in bigger wood too. I was able to help 7hpjim with a spare air filter that came on biggysmall's parts saw. share the CAD love ( ;

Thanks to everyone. I got the saw running and it works slick on small stuff & it will cut in bigger wood too. I was able to help 7hpjim with a spare air filter that came on biggysmall's parts saw. share the CAD love ( ;
Glad I could help you out.I've learned alot from this site and when one of the few times I can help comes along I have to take it.

Latest posts

Back