Everyone get their milk and bread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Two weeks worth of 3 year seasoned white ash inside stacked in the rack, steaks, swordfish, pork chops, milk, coffee and 2 bottles of absolute. Also have 6-8 months worth of SHTF canned/dried goods.

Oil/kerosene lamps and can cook on the stove if power goes down. Plenty of snow to keep the freezer/fridge cold, while I am warm : )

Two weeks worth of 3 year seasoned white ash inside stacked in the rack, steaks, swordfish, pork chops, milk, coffee and 2 bottles of absolute. Also have 6-8 months worth of SHTF canned/dried goods.

Oil/kerosene lamps and can cook on the stove if power goes down. Plenty of snow to keep the freezer/fridge cold, while I am warm : )
Pretty much this. I have the Coleman stove hidden in the kitchen year round. Beeswax candles, storm lamps, and plenty of canned food. I don't understand how people in the Northeast still panic. We all know what happens during the winter. Had a dude yesterday stuck on the hill trying to get home yesterday. Said he tried both roads off the highway and couldn't get up those either. His tires were like drag slicks. Now I wonder why he couldn't get home.

i have to run out to get eggs everyday! the chickens prefer them to be out of the way to lay more. lol

to many people live day to day, you should be able to support yourself for at least a week or two at a moments notice. disasters happen, its not that hard to stock up over time and be prepaired.

i have to run out to get eggs everyday! the chickens prefer them to be out of the way to lay more. lol

to many people live day to day, you should be able to support yourself for at least a week or two at a moments notice. disasters happen, its not that hard to stock up over time and be prepaired.

This I agree with, that why we grow a 2 acre garden every spring and try to kill off plenty of deer and hogs in the fall. It allows us to be as far off the "grid" as possible.

Heck if I know, I can just go to town for breakfast. I can think of exactly once in my nearly 30 years of driving when I couldn't get anywhere for more than a day at the most. There may have been more than a few times I shouldn't have gone anywhere, but in my world, "Because I Could" is an acceptable answer.

Here's a similar thread from a couple years back, for your further enjoyment:

http://www.arboristsite.com/community/threads/bread-milk-emma-its-a-storm.186051/#post-3286107

We got a foot of nice powder on Friday. That means the mountains and ski areas got 18"+. They've been doing the snow dance for a while now.
No need to panic, it's organic. Highways are snow covered, but that just provides another opportunity to practice controlled power slides like we've always done.
Milk and bread? I can always get milk straight from the bulk tank of a farm just down the road, and bread can be baked. I'd be more worried about being "stranded" without beer. Actually, "stranded" isn't really in the vocabulary out here in the sticks.
As they say in Maine ,... "You can get they-ah from hee-ah."

We got about 16-18" of the pennies from heaven. I didn't bother to go out during the night as it was coming down so hard that the highway depts couldn't keep up anyway.
When I did go out I was out for most of the day, even pulled a stuck jeep out and got two new accounts from the guy!
dave

If commuting over the passes this week, better have some milk and bread in the car, along with water, a sleeping bag, and a full tank of gas. The drought word is no longer being used here. One big difference, our mountain crews have excellent equipment and are used to dealing with snow. Plus, our laws make it mandatory to have tire chains in your vehicle this time of year when traveling over the mountain passes.

http://www.komonews.com/weather/blo...his-week-Snowpack-could-double-245691801.html

Oh, and the local forecast has flood watch, wind advisory and mountain snow warnings today. We're getting our November weather now, thank goodness.

This I agree with, that why we grow a 2 acre garden every spring and try to kill off plenty of deer and hogs in the fall. It allows us to be as far off the "grid" as possible.

You are welcome to come and repurpose some of our deer as well. Never seen them fight over a pumpkin before.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    106.6 KB · Views: 12
Oh, the story I've read is it began in New England after the Blizzard of '78 when the major highways around Boston and Providence were closed for several days...so the supermarkets that were open weren't getting deliveries. Route 128, the main "ring road" around Boston, I believe they towed 5,000 abandoned cars off the highway in order to start plowing it. Not many four wheel drives, SUV wasn't even a term, and tons of rear-wheel drive boats still on the road. Pavement technology was older, we weren't as liberal with de-icing chemicals before the storms, and our plow trucks tended to be a bit smaller than today's diesel and often tandem axle trucks.

This wasn't the 1940s anymore when folks lived on farms, or in cities where you could walk to the corner market and it wasn't as big of a logistical challenge to move goods from the railroad depot to the stores. So folks who didn't have more than a couple days of perishables on hand found themselves short a few days after the storm when their street was plowed out and they got down to the supermarket to find they hadn't gotten any deliveries yet.

I'm sure, like the putting out Halloween candy before Labor Day (folks buy it on sale, then forget where they put it, and buy more...), the stores and distributors love to goose up the bread and milk stories so they can get folks to clean out their inventory and knowing a lot of it will end up in French Toast at best.

Of course we're unlikely to see another combination of events like the Blizzard of '78 to create gridlock from a storm that was forecast to be modest at best just a few hours before the snow started falling.

Back