Everyone has a 1st post, this is mine

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, I couldn't wait. I ran out and picked up the saw today and I couldn't be happier with it. For those wondering it came with the 18" bar not the 16. They already assembled everything, filled with fuel and oil, tested and adjusted the carb. Got it for $330 out the door. I got home and it fired right up and sounds awesome. I am going out now to do some cutting just for the heck of it.

Aint she a beaut
18BC25C5-B4B6-44C8-ACF9-CF68230B595B.jpg

6BADF0BC-14EE-4785-990F-06959223B2ED.jpg

Ya they usually come with the 18, mine did too... You will like her a lot... You will get many years of use from Her for sure!!!!!

Ya did good young man. Nuthin wrong with $330 out the door, tax included. Did you get the 6-pk of HP Ultra to extend the warranty to 2 yrs?

It's all about who you know.
I'd a taken that 'who you know theory' and bumped up immediately to the MS271. Would've been the same as paying full sticker for the 250, but end up getting a 271. Will pull that 18" a helluva lot better. Just my little .02 pennies...

Lot of good videos on YouTube and also a lot showing what NOT to do. Stihl and Husqvarna have good safety, operation and maintenance. Make chips!

LoveStihlQuality

I'd a taken that 'who you know theory' and bumped up immediately to the MS271. Would've been the same as paying full sticker for the 250, but end up getting a 271. Will pull that 18" a helluva lot better. Just my little .02 pennies...

Yeah but I didn't want a saw quite that big. My best friend has the Farm Boss and it is just that, a boss hoss and more than I needed. If I wanted that one I would have just got it from the get go. Plus, if this one can't do the job for whatever reason he is always willing to come over and bring his to play.

Yeah but I didn't want a saw quite that big. My best friend has the Farm Boss and it is just that, a boss hoss and more than I needed. If I wanted that one I would have just got it from the get go. Plus, if this one can't do the job for whatever reason he is always willing to come over and bring his to play.
Did ya get the HP Ultra to extend the warranty?

Actually no, I left it up to pops to take care of things but either it wasn't offered or he just didn't get it. Regardless, I don't think I'll need it. If the saw has a non user error malfunction our guy should take it back or fix it without any fuss. I've also been looking into the muffler mod so I don't know how long the warranty will be an option either way.

Any mod will void it regardless. Most saws nowadays you can get by without a warranty. Feed it quality gas/synthetic oil mix...most homeowner saw use is good. It ain't like your logging with it. I've got one saw, an MS291, still under a 2-yr warranty, but I got plenty of arsenal to use so I'll leave it be. Absolutely, peel that muffler off and open it up, retune, and get to slinging chips. Opening it up, retuning will make a difference on it pulling the 18".

So over the weekend, I had the opportunity to put in some time on this saw. For those who say they are under powered or a larger saw would be better must be needing to cut down giant sequoias or whatever because for my purposes this thing is a beast. It is the hottest saw I have ever really used and can't imagine something with more power. The biggest tree I cut this weekend was about 12" and it went through it like a hot knife through butter. I am extremely pleased and it's not even broken in good yet.

Just remember hearing protection, eye protection and I strongly suggest kevlar chaps too, friend of mine who grew up in the woods has years and years of chain saw experience accidentally cut into his leg. Lots cheaper than a hospital bill!

So over the weekend, I had the opportunity to put in some time on this saw. For those who say they are under powered or a larger saw would be better must be needing to cut down giant sequoias or whatever because for my purposes this thing is a beast. It is the hottest saw I have ever really used and can't imagine something with more power. The biggest tree I cut this weekend was about 12" and it went through it like a hot knife through butter. I am extremely pleased and it's not even broken in good yet.
Glad you are enjoying yourself. The 025 is the first saw I ran and I had a blast. As for the guys telling you to get a bigger saw... It all depends on your needs. If you're just cutting poles there is no need for more weight. Once you start getting tired of bending over a lot though something which can run a ~24" bar can make it easier. Main thing is you're being safe and enjoying yourself.

I always wear safety glasses and I have some noise cancelling ear buds that I wear with music playing. I have a set of chaps that my dad gave me so I have all the bases covered. I also usually will strap the tree and use a hand winch to keep questionable trees going where I want, you can see it in the pic below of one that was a back leaner towards my screen porch.

B265D4E0-981E-4C20-8A85-F058B7D29C9D.jpg

Latest posts

Back