Everyone - Jan/3 - Jan/4 Weekend report .....

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had to work yesterday but Friday night, I finally got the last bit of silver maple rounds out of my driveway. My wife was extremely happy about that. It will be just in time for me to cut a few more trees down this month and put them back in the driveway. It is a little game we play. I drop wood off there, she tells me to move it, I do and than cut more trees down.

The mighty JD345

Got a call on my cell this AM about 9. A tree guy who regularly drops wood at my house asks, "Are you home now?" He proceeded to tell me he was at my wood pile and his 18K dump truck was stuck. I brought out my John Deere 345 (20 HP, set up with plow, weights, tire chains) and plowed out the front, and then hooked one of his lines to the rear. I couldn't beleve it pulled it right out. I was freakin shocked. It pulls my little 1500# trailer full of wood all the time but I thought I might be wasting my time....wow!:clap:

Was 20° F this morning and light winds so we decided to head out and cut some. The PU was loaded and ready from the night before. All we had to do when we got there was gas up the saws and go at it. I did take some canned noodle soup for us and we stopped for a hot lunch about 1:00 . We stayed at it till dark before heading back to town.

Was great weather once the wind calmed a bit. The youngest (12) got in some experience behind the wheel dragging logs and getting the truck back into a couple of tight spots. The ground stayed froze all day, so there was never a worry about him sinking in where we were working. We put in a full day and are sleeping good.

They go back to school in the morning but wanted me to call them in so we could go back out again. I go back in on Tues. so I know where I an going to be after dropping them off from school. When they get out I'll be there to get them and we'll see if they are ready for more.

I spent Saturday afternoon gathering some Oak, Cherry and some Aspen down at my in-laws place. Also got to see the sawmill they built fired up for the first time! That was awesome! It had been a while since I was down there (nine month old and wife is keeping me busy) and it was great to see.

As a result, I also picked up some slab Maple and Oak from the mill ;-) Not a lot, since they are still in the tweaking process, but it was nice to get :)

Tes

Thank god the holidays are over. I cut 10 cords in November and then next to nothing in December. This weekend I skidded about 20 - 25 tops out of the woods and that will keep me busy for the next couple weeks. Pulled out one blow down that I kind of hate to buck - its a 50' cherry about 22". Couple years ago the log would have been worth something, right now timber prices are in the tank so its just going to go into the OWB.

The wife was off thursday and friday, so I spent all four days working on a new manure digester project.
Same schedule during the Christmas period as well.

Havent' put wood in the furnace in days, today with my daughter back to school, our weekdays are back to normal....for now.
Dumptruck has a full load of red oak logs on it, about 2.5 cords, ready to burn, just have to cut/split to size. Promised the kids they could watch it dump, that was a week ago when they were along for loading it, so this afternoon after school pickup, that will be the big deal for them.
My honey-do list item is to process and stack the wood this week, so its ready for sale/delivery. Seriously, that's the one thing the wife put on the list.
She even spread all my ashes on the iced/gravel driveway to help with traction before I came home from working.

This is a good thread, reading about others wood chores/accomplishments is a pleasure.

Last edited:
put a tranny in the 98 dodge wood truck this weekend (****** sucked!!!!) shes ready for another quarter million miles!!! (255,000 to be exact) it went out the same day i cut my leg... should have gone home right then. but i got the wood hauler back!!!

Started building a doghouse. based on the materials available it became 6ftx9ft with a 6x6 inside room and 3x6ft balcony.

Friday evening building the base platform.
Friday night welding the roofframe and support beams.
Saturday mounting the metal construction and start with putting the vertical beams.
Saturday night putting the rooftiles. (i have to keep the silent jobs for the nights :) )
Sunday start building the walls
All wood comes from our old house. Ceiling beams 8x8" and walls made out of 5" thick slabs that were the ceiling of 1 of the rooms.

Almost halfway. Finishing will take a bit more time than the rough work.
Starts to be a " how to make a straight construction with 100 non-straight beams but the dog likes it. (and me too)

some pics

DSC00335.jpg

DSC00336.jpg

DSC00348.jpg

DSC00351.jpg

:cheers:

to put him a little in perspective. GF is 1.7m high and the other dog is the size of a normal pointer - setter. :bowdown:

IMG_1159-1.jpg

Started my cutting on the 60 acre lot last Friday and Saturday. Put in about 6 hrs a day as the snow is about 15" deep in the woods and slow going. No bulling and jamming as I'm working alone and can't afford a big mistake. Headed to the local T.S.C. store this morning as I needed to set up a draw-bar on my J.D. 1020 to skid logs with. Installed the draw-bar this afternoon with a big clevis hitch and headed for the woodlot. Had about 14 logs down and branched out next to the wood-road so tried out the new 3pt setup with the draw-bar and a short choker chain. Works like a charm and the logs slid along the frozen road slick as can be. I have a set of log tongs on order but won't be seeing them for a week most likely. They should speed things up a bit and make life a littler easier. Tomorrow is supposed to be a good day and I plan to hit it hard in the woods. Will try to get 15 or 20 good firewood logs on the ground and ready to be pulled. We have a storm coming in Wednesday so I probably won't be able to cut that day. Might be able to skid though if the snow doesn't come to fast. Also scrounged up a set of forks that will clamp on my bucket and let me stack the logs up pretty good. Haven't used them yet so will report on the result when I do.

Maplemeister:

looks like a horse... LOL j/k nice dog big dog.. nice big dog... sit stay!!... LOL

well.. lets see... worked in the chicken houses... then did a few things out side... moved some pipes ( going to be used in my heating system install) took down the Christmas lights...

MM.. I hope you have a way of closing the driveway back to the wood lot... I would hate to see wood poachers taking advantage of all your work..

Latest posts

Back