experts, please help me cut these trees

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wideopen

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Gentlemen, here are pictures of my current situation. I already climbed up into tree1 and cut off a piece. I would like to know the safest was to cut the main limbs off. When the wind blows hard, big pieces break off and I dont want the big pieces shown in the pictures, to ultimately fall onto the roof. If the big limb is curving towards the house, is there a way to notch and cut it off so it will fall away from the house roof? ok talk to yall later! I have an echo 16" chainsaw, and must save money and handle this myself. I used a ratchet strap to tiedown myself to tree 1. The tiedown went around my waist and around the part of the tree that was not getting cut. This was my first time cutting anything with a chainsaw. I know the echo saw by now and do use common sense. Please tell me the proper way to do this. All big branches must come down, except the ones that are by the power line, which the Power company will handle. Please help!
wideopen

this is tree1, I will post tree 2 in another thread!

Wideopen. My first thought upon reading your post is that you are a regular AS member trolling for responses under an assumed name. I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and give you a straight answer.
Todd is right. Losing your life to save a few dollars is not good economy.
Your first picture doesn't give any perspective regarding the positioning of the tree in the landscape but when I look at picture 2 I do NOT see a tree that needs to come down, rather I see a tree that needs PROPER pruning. The first picture shows a number of improper pruning cuts but I doubt that there is a significant structural problem that warrants removal of the tree. You need to understand that when you say that all the limbs must come down you are really saying that the tree should be removed. If a condition exists that precludes healthy structural branches remaining on the tree then topping the tree wil not cure the condition it will simply make it much worse in a few years if the tree survives the abuse.
My advice to you is that you solicit advice and a bid from an arborist in your area who has a good reputation. If your tree 'expert' tells you that topping "ain't no problem for the tree" then he isn't qualified and you'll need to find someone else.

I gotta agree with the rest; hire a tree company to do the work for you. Even if you wan to remove this tree vs prune it, there is too great a risk of injury here.

For for a little more then the cost of the gear needed to properly remove this tree you could hire a tree company to get it on the ground for you.

no not the whole tree!

just the "limb" that is hanging over the house! These trees are dead. Once a year these huge beetles come out of the ground and hang around. these things are huge! They look like robots and are from an inch and a half to 2 inches long. I asked a bud that workes for the city, this guy was cleaning up broken tree debris from a wind storm one day, and he said they eat the trees roots. Look, I just need to know if it is possible to cut it and pull it with a rope so it doesnt hit the roof. And if notching on a particular side of the limb would be effective in changing the direction in fall.

The only way I could see myself dying is if I was tied to the tree and the whole tree just fell. Last night was very windy, and even though I see the whole trees trunk actually shift and move because of the wind, its stil;l there! Cmon friends. I tie myself to the tree so I dont lose my balance from a klickback. I still havent exp. kickback yet, but am aware of the dangers of it because of my echo manual.:}
Wideopen

ok, I guess Ill start at tree1,

Gentlemen, you see that serious bend towrds the right of the tree1 pic? This branch would take out a car in the driveway if it broke. How would I properly cut this area off? underneath is clear if I moved the vehicle. Actually there is a 2 foot brick wall there. I also must say that I dont want the part that is cut to come at my face and body when it is falling. Is this pruning?
oh yeah, towards the left, you see the cut that was taken that has a broken off look to it also? that is the first cut I took. I know I did it wrong, but what way should I have done it?

Sooooo....., it is dead but you do not want to remove the tree? I really think that you are trolling now. If these are legit posts you have already recieved legitimate responses. If you don't know how to do it we can't educate you for this type of operation by typing in instructions. The only responsible advice is to get someone who knows what they are doing.
If you don't like the advice you have received I am sorry but I doubt that any of the folks on this site are going to give you any other. We don't mind helping do-it yourselfers, but some things are not appropriate for beginners.:angel:

"I used a ratchet strap to tiedown myself to tree 1. The tiedown went around my waist and around the part of the tree that was not getting cut. "

Absolutely unbeleivable! Might I suggest you do some major surgery on yourself rather than having a qualified physician do it? Just watch the health channel for a week or something and you should be able to save yourself some bucks there!

Your posts are so completely ludicrous and so dangerous that you are either putting us on or about to do yourself some major harm. You have received valuable info from professionals that don't want to see you get hurt.

And why wouldn't you want to have the entire tree removed if it is dead? If the whole tree comes over, the least of your worries will be a branch on your roof.

Don't let economics sidestep common sense.:(

Looking back at all the stupid things I did in my youth, I am reminded of trying to cut a 60ft pine tree down using a small saw and a tractor (just like my neighbors did it).
After spending a few (only a few) years watching and learning from a qualified tree professional, I have bad dreams about the dumb things I did. Even recently, I made a huge mistake of not calling my arborist friends because I wanted to save a few bucks and use a bobcat to knock down a large (leaning) china berry.
From now on, I swallow my pride and spend the extra money for safety's sake.

I have seen and know of people with experience hurt cutting much smaller trees than your pictures indicate...

geez guys, relax! what about those pocket saws?

I guess I just will not get any answers to any of my thoughts, other than, "let a pro do it!"

Are these pocket saws ok to use for this project, so that I wont have to be off of the ground? Im thinking 2 peaple working the pocket saw [ I saw one for like 15 bucks at harborfreight.com, I guess its like a chainsaw chain with 2 handles...?] and 2 other pulling/guiding the falling branch in the right direction?

By the way, I did not expect the replies that I read today... No way. Please forgive me for trying to learn from the wise. You know, I might as well stop here. thanks

get hold of the book "the tree climber's companion" by jeff jepson and read it cover to cover. the gear you need to do this in a safe maner could cost $600.00.
call the power compeny to see if thay will remove it for you at no charge.

it's not that the people here don't want to help you, it's that this is the best help for you .

be safe

latter scott

Pocket saw on a rope--ROTFLMFAO!!

Actually, it sounds as though you don't want to listen to any of the wise advice given you---at all. So I will add none.

If those trees are dead, I'll eat................oh forget it.

I've either seen or heard it all , in regards to amateurs tackling tree work. Sometimes they get away with no damage- to property or bodily harm...but then again....

That's why none of us pros will assist you in tips for doing it yourself.

"By the way, I did not expect the replies that I read today... No way. Please forgive me for trying to learn from the wise

Wideopen....

The wise are trying to help you not kill yourself. This isn't putting in a new patio or building a shed or any kind of benign home improvement project. Your description of the methods you have used already and those that you propose reveal your inability to comprehend just how dangerous this can be.

There are a lot of more experienced people here who would call someone more qualified to take on this dangerous job.

You have electricity, a dwelling, allegedly dead trees (which are always more dangerous to work with) and a brick wall you will probably have to rebuild after knocking the top off of it. and most importantly your health and well being.

Please stick to your moniker and stay wide open to the suggestions and warnings that have been offered.

Don't become another sad post in the injury and fatality forum.

That pic came from a little north of here a few years ago after a storm blew down most of the trees in a small town.

It was in the local paper, Seems that the reporter had a little serendipedy on his side. I think the landscraper in the picture got only a few minor injuries.

Troll-O-Meter

Boy, even with my stuffed up broken nose I can smell the odor of troll all the way from here :)

At the first post I was suspicious but after his second, it got really stinky.

Louie H has the best solution!

Tom

With a clothes pin on my nose :)

Back