Exploding Logs!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tannerite is fun and all but seriously what's wrong with this picture?

wtf-3_zps9448d392.jpeg

Only one log to shoot?

Mr. HE:cool:

So yesterday was a little more spring like here in NE Ohio, sunny, low 30s. I decided that I was going to go get some large chunks of crotch wood that the local municipality had sitting in their yard for a while now. I went to borrow my brothers trailer, he and my nephews decided to help me. It only took a couple hours to haul home (2) approx 4' x4' chunks of Oak and (2) only slightly smaller chunks of Beech. Once home, we had planned to go our separate ways for the rest of the day, but we ended up wasting most of the rest of the afternoon "splitting" wood. :hmm3grin2orange: Splittin' a Log With Explosive Target Powder - YouTube
The first log is approx 30"D x 30"L, and about 100 yds. out. Unfortunately, we had the camera zoomed in too close to capture the height and distance that 2 of the splits flew. 2 stayed in the blast zone, the one to the left went up 30-40' and landed about 50' away. The one to the right, went up 20' landing 100' away. The second log was 30"D and 60"L, we set up about 400' away due to the proximity of some farm equipment to where the first log landed. We weren't zoomed quite as tight and the much larger splits didn't fly as far, so you can see everything. The third time is just a slo-mo vid of the second log. It is amazing how nicely quartered the splits were! The percussion from the blast was significant, but the sound on the video doesn't do it justice. We have one more log to do but we decided to quit for the day, before someone called the cops. The neighbors almost a mile away said they heard/felt it inside their house. Oh, and sorry, I'm not sure what kind of wood it was, maybe I'll try to post some pics of it later.

From the pictures you posted on the 2nd page the stuff thats blown apart looks like Ironwood and the bottom pic sure looks like Ironwood from looking at the bark. Tough stuff if it is.

Latest posts

Back