extending the ram

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kyle1!

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Really stupid question most likely. Trying to extend the ram on my new 5x24 $199 cylinder to set up the pusher and cylinder mount spacing. How do you do it with out hoses/hyd fluid? Compressed air? Come along between tree and bumper? Thanks Brian

Air or pull it out. Truck come along etc. Make sure to remove caps/plugs first.

With the shipping plugs removed you "should" be able to pull it out with one attached to something solid. The problem with air is that it will build pressure until it extends a bit then stop and build pressure again, it can be done just be careful.

Also when using air cylinder will move very fast. when building my splitter i was trying to get my knife location where i wanted .i applied compressed air and waited.when cylinder did move it extended( very quickly) all way out before stopping.

Like people have said already compressed air works but can be erratic due to the fact that compressed air is well....compressed... and can be compressed more until it reaches a sufficient PSI to move the piston. When the piston/rod assembly takes off it can slam into the gland area of a hydraulic cylinder and do a bunch of damage ..some of it irreparable. When I worked in a hyd. shop years ago we would see several damaged assemblies a month from service tech's trying to stroke cylinders in the field with air.

Just too cold to work in the non heated garage recently and finally I was able to get the rod pulled out yesterday. I needed a come along to give some initial muscle but once it broke free I could move it by hand. I would like to be able to split less than or equal to 20" pieces of wood. In figuring where to mount the rod on the pusher and where to mount the cylinder to the beam.....cyl is 5x24

Is there a max/min extension of the rod that should be used? Can I use the whole travel of the rod maybe a better way of phrasing the question.

Brian

I would mount the cylinder for full extention. Nothing says you have to fully retract the cylinder for splitting short stuff. If the cylinder is able to extend farther than the distance between where the pusher and wedge are mounted, it is possible to deadhead the ram and result in serious breakage on mounting brackets. My 5x24 cylinder is mounted so that the pusher stops about 2 inches before hitting the wedge. This sometimes results in split wood dangleing by a few splitters, but it also allows me to split 26in lenghts of wood. For the dangleing wood, I just throw another round on the splitter and use it to push the dangler off the wedge. If you dont need to split 24in lenghts, just get some spacers to mount on the cylinder rod to stop it from fully retracting. https://www.google.com/search?q=hyd...jpg;http%3A%2F%2Fwww.depthstop.com%2F;351;338

Ditto on muddstoppers advice. You want to make sure you cannot have an interference when fully extended. If you want to short stroke the thing because you only cut shorter wood get a depth stop kit at your local farm supply store and use the appropriate spacers to set your stroke length. You set your stroke length by not retracting as far.

If you are planning on splitting lots of elm and other stringy woods, you may want to have a groove in your ram to allow the wedge to come flush with the face. That takes care of the hangers.

Back