extra circulator on hand

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chugbug

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
My OWB is plumbed into my oil fired hot water furnace , and the B&G circulator still has the job of pushing the water through the baseboard for heat . If it failed I would be completely without heat , I have backup pumps and a fan for the OWB but got to thinking about the B&G .how many are keeping backup's just in case . Its 0 in PA tonight if it failed I wonder how cold it would be come morning !!!!!!

Might try finding another B&G and plumbing the spare in parallel with existing pump using a couple of ball valves and manual switch.

Swapping out a pump in a charged hot system is a pita. Much easier to turn a couple of valves and flip a switch, especially in an arctic breakout.

Went though such a c.f. 5 years ago on a Sunday at 4am -10 below...

There are valves on top and below the pump so it can be isolated to swap it out .

I keep at least one spare pump on hand at all times. Unfortunately I do not have isolation valves set up yet, but I found out the best way to swap the pump out without them. I just lower my water pressure to 0 psi and do not open any bleeder valves. This creates a slight vacuum and minimizes the amount of air let into the system when swapping pumps.

Yeah, backup parts is always a good idea, especially when it comes to heat! I got a few spare pumps, damper soleniod, and a temp contoller in stock.

I agree , I am going to price a rebuilt B&G , that will fit right in ,should only take maybe 30 mins. to change it in an emergency , sure would be nice to have for peace of mind too , the house got down to 65 degrees this morn. with outside temps of 10 below , I don't want to think what the temp would be if that circulator quit on me !!!!!!!

If you're already spending the money for an extra pump, two pumps piped in parallel with isolation valves and an electric 3-way switch is probably the best setup. Flip the switch and one pump is de-energized while the other one is powered up.

Have an extra pump on the shelf for that special moment. Isolated all pumps with ball valves so change out is just a few minutes. But even with that break down will always be the part I do not have on hand like the fan motor fan.

If you're already spending the money for an extra pump, two pumps piped in parallel with isolation valves and an electric 3-way switch is probably the best setup. Flip the switch and one pump is de-energized while the other one is powered up.

Yup

Big advantage of this ready to run setup is your backup pump can be tested before
it is really needed...

With all the offshore sourcing, reliability isn't what it used to be.

I picked up an extra blower really reasonable , mine has a door welded on the end , I can swap out the motor itself pretty easy and use the housing over .

Latest posts

Back