Extreme logging on Discovery Channel tonight.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nilzlofgren

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
The first three episodes of "extreme logging" are on tonight. They start at 7 on The Discovery Channel. "swamp logging" "mule logging" and "heli logging." Just think, three hours of wood.

Last edited:
The first three episodes of "extreme logging" are on tonight. They start at 7 on The Discovery Channel. "swamp logging" "mule logging" and "heli logging." Just think, three hours of wood.

If you experience wood lasting for longer than 3 hours, please seek medical attention............:)

Those mules are pretty tough. I was wondering why they didn't rig some kind of cone or something to keep the front of the logs from digging into the ground.

Those mules are pretty tough. I was wondering why they didn't rig some kind of cone or something to keep the front of the logs from digging into the ground.

I was wondering about something that looks like the front end of a toboggan...

Or a 'log arch'. Tip it back, hook up, pull, tongue pulls down, arch pulls up and lifts log nose off the dirt. Or a 'log arch' with a hoist to lift the nose.

Harry K

If you experience wood lasting for longer than 3 hours, please seek medical attention............:)
If I had wood lasting longer than 3 hours, I wouldn't call a doctor, I'd call the newspaper. Sure would want to get that on the record. :popcorn:

i kinda was wondering on the first video where the lady said i will give you .70 cents at first i said wow thats cheap for a tree then i heard her say the other amount it like .70 cents a foot i said that sounds better

that one machine on the swamp one is a nice machine the one with the cutter on it

swap logging didn't do nothin' Now this Heli loggin.. this looks pretty good

I agree, all that guy did was repair stuff, and pull machines from the mud. I was impressed by the truck in the mule episode. That thing can really throw some logs, and some of those were pretty heavy.

I think it will be re-run a couple times ! That log loader was a hoot !! Anyone no how that thing works ? Looks like its all or nothing !! watch out ! Is it pto driven or what ??

Buddy Hackett had a joke about that. This guy goes into a pharmacy, wants to talk to a male pharmacist, but it turns out two women own the place and they are the only pharmacists. Finally he shows them his delicate problem.

"How long has it been like that?"
"About a week, what can you give me for it?"
After a brief consultation, they tell him "$500 a week and 1/3 interest in the store".

"Extreme Logging" with the mules and the Good Old Boys was really interesting the other nite. That poor log truck was beat to death, never seen anything like that log loader, and not so sure I'd want to be around it.
I skid firewood out with my mules and right after Christmas I am going to skid out 20 to 30 cord of maple , cherry and ash tops from a friends property that was just logged. Unless you have a skidder, no way to get this out. Four wheel drive is worthless because right now we have a foot and a half of snow with no frost in the ground.
Mules that were trained like those on extreme logging are worth $5000 and up. The photo's I attached are of my Jessie mule who is 7 years now and his team mate Corkey is 5 1/2. I have spent a lot of time with these two and skidded with them last winter. I have shot deer off of Jessie's back and he buggy's my wife and I around in the summer.
As a boy my neighbors had a team of perchron draft horses that skidded everything. They would hitch the logs in the lot and these guys would skid the logs out to the skidway, were unhitched and went back for the next logs with no one driving them all day long.

They would hitch the logs in the lot and these guys would skid the logs out to the skidway, were unhitched and went back for the next logs with no one driving them all day long.
Too cool. They do seem to love to work.
Where's those pics of your guard boar ?

Photo,s of Alex the guard pig. She actually was a pig from the wild. Her mother was shot by poachers and my cousin who is a vet patched her up because she was chewed up by dogs. He shipped her across country to us. She was only a month old when we got her, a little over a pound, now she is 300. I keep her lean and mean. She likes to chew on chainsaws that ain't orange.

Back