Extreme Novice Questions?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RON K.

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hi,I'm a landscaper (mow lawns part time)in northern NJ(Sussex county)and I'd like to learn about trees and the tree buisness.What can you suggest I do on my own,(books,videos,etc)to get some basic knowlege?I've used a chainsaw,but I know just because I used one dosen"t mean I know how to use one correctly.I have been reading this web-site for some time and am very interested in a career in the tree industry.I recently lost my full time job(I worked in a gun store/shooting range)and just found someone who will teach me to drive a truck so I can get a CDL B.Any suggestion please?Thanks for any help,RON K.

Ron-here is my idea, after you get your new truck driver license get a job as a groundsman at a tree service. Work hard, do your best and check out if you like it. Lots of books and videos out there but as usual there is nothing like the real thing.

I have to second that. It's one of the best ways to learn. Get the books and videos too, better yet if the co. you start working with has 'em, borrow 'em!

Starting out?

Get a Silky Saw and make it pay for itself four times over in its first day working. It's like a treeguy rite of passage. Your best girl will like how the numbers work.

Look up Sherrill Arborist Supply in the Sponsored Forum and get yourself a copy of "The Tree climber's Companion" 2nd edition by Jeff Jebson. Then,once you've read the book, come back here and ask more questions for clarification. Lots of good info in this book and its been highly recommended here year after year in this forum! Never stop learning Ron, good luck to ya. HC

Tree Climbers companion (as said above) then go from there.

Spend your next money on a saddle, rope and other bare necesseties to get up in trees. Experiance works wonders.

Tree Machine said:
Get a Silky Saw and make it pay for itself four times over in its first day working. It's like a treeguy rite of passage. Your best girl will like how the numbers work.

Give blood, buy a Silky :D

I've got a video where I got a Silky to pay for itself ten-fold in one afternoon. I set out to see if it could be done, and sure enough.

I'll give blood over anything that produces results like that.

Show me!

All right, I figured you would want to see a Silky pay for itself ten-fold. It's a mid-Winter crown reduction on a lanky sweetgum. Repeated history of breaking under it's own weight. Probably more reducing than I would normally do, but unseen are the old snapoffs and and big coved-out areas of the crown. I was pruning to decentuate these shallow areas and give the tree a future it could work with. It only took me a couple seconds to do the whole job.... no, really ! Silkys cut really well, and much quieter than a chainsaw.

Thankyou all very much for your help.I will get the book "Tree Climbers Companion"as you all suggested.Are there any other books you would recommend?I do need a book on identifying trees.Any specific information on groundwork?Which model Silky saw?How does Carona compare to Silky(my local dealer carries Carona)?Could you please suggest a pole saw?Is it safe to use a ladder with a hand saw(I know it's not with a chain saw)?Which ladder is best?Are there any placesin the NJ,NY or PA area that give chainsaw courses?I know I've asked a bunch of very basic questions,I areally appreciate you all taking your time to help me,thank you all again,RON K.

clearance said:
Ron-here is my idea, after you get your new truck driver license get a job as a groundsman at a tree service. Work hard, do your best and check out if you like it...nothing like the real thing.
Clearance has the best idea--don't invest in eqpt for work that you may not like. I'm a fanatic about books; I own at least one copy of most every tree care book ever written, but don't buy any yet.

You can go to www.treesaregood.com for a lot of ingo free for the downloading.

Is Aspen Tree Svc near you?

treeseer,sir,thankyou for the link.I haven't heard of Aspen Tree Service,RON K.

Back