F#@%ing squirrels!!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I was running low on mix so decided to rob the leaf blower and string trimmer to save a trip to gas up.

When I picked up the trimmer I smelled fuel? WTF? Chew marks from the little bassturd red squirrel that invaded my shed.

I set up some rat traps and a "spinning" mouse trap.

The mouse trap is already working but no luck on the squirrel yet, may have to set up a bird feeder and get out the air rifle. mouse trap jpeg.jpg
Anyway.......what to patch the tank with? Hole is about the size of a BB (guess he didn't like 100LL).

Maybe use a piece of plastic from an old gas can but I think they are high density poly ethylene (HDPE).

I came across some interesting things when I searched squirrel problems, namely squirrel launchers. Looks like one might be in my future for those snowy winter days when the birds get bullied out of the feeder, and boredom sets in.

Anybody built one? I can come up with plenty of ideas for propulsion but was wondering about trigger mechanisms? I've got to see if I still have my old skeet launcher........

I came across some interesting things when I searched squirrel problems, namely squirrel launchers. Looks like one might be in my future for those snowy winter days when the birds get bullied out of the feeder, and boredom sets in.

Anybody built one? I can come up with plenty of ideas for propulsion but was wondering about trigger mechanisms? I've got to see if I still have my old skeet launcher........
screen door hinges work really well

A number of years ago I bought a new snowblower, so I stuck it on the deck against the house. (It was mid summer after all) next thing I notice, is some red ribbons all over the place. It was the red gas cap and part of the treaded tank portion that the cap screws on to. Was I happy about that.

I think they just want to huff gas, do them a fave and leave a splash of gas in some small bags around the house. I here they also like gold spray paint in bags... Wait a sec, my mistake. That's some other vermen.

If your outside of the city I recommend a 22-250 treatment.

Fawkers got in our kiln and had a buffet of 3" blue board and lumber. Blue squirrel turds all over the place. I set a live trap, they figured out how to get the peanut butter without walking inot it!

Chew marks from the little bassturd red squirrel that invaded my shed.
The mouse trap is already working but no luck on the squirrel yet, may have to set up a bird feeder and get out the air rifle.

My vote is an air rifle, I just Crossman drilled this red tree rat while chewing on wiring coming out of the utility shed. He won't be doing that again...

image.jpeg

Hey get a bucket, we use 5 gallon for chipmunks, may have to use a little bigger for squirrels.... anyway get black sunflower seeds am put enough water in bucket so they will drown, and not be able to get out....then put black sunflower seeds in so it looks half full(only takes couple handfuls)...put a piece of wood for a ramp so they can climp up and jump in..... check it every few days the seeds will eventually sink...

Be careful you can wipe them out with this method.... works great for mice too!!!

Hey get a bucket, we use 5 gallon for chipmunks, may have to use a little bigger for squirrels.... anyway get black sunflower seeds am put enough water in bucket so they will drown, and not be able to get out....then put black sunflower seeds in so it looks half full(only takes couple handfuls)...put a piece of wood for a ramp so they can climp up and jump in..... check it every few days the seeds will eventually sink...

Be careful you can wipe them out with this method.... works great for mice too!!!

Similar to the trap in the photo on post #1. That has a 1-L bottle, drilled in the center of the cap and bottom, mounted on a spindle. You smear some peanut butter on the bottle and when they jump on it it spins, dumping the vermin into the bucket of water. Works great for mice but some squirrels are crafty enough to work the bottle from the edge of the bucket.

A neighbor had bad squirrel problems and he made a large version using a garbage pail and paint can. I might up grade to that if the rat traps or pellet rifle don't get things done

I had a field mouse problem a few years ago, the bucket trap was killing them at a high rate but didn't seem to really be putting a dent in the population. My wife convinced me to adopt some feral cats and set them up to live in our shed. 1 year and 5 cats later I'm not having a mouse problem, or squirrels, or moles, or chipmunks and even the birds are wary around my place...

Yeah, the cat idea is awesome. Head to your local shelter and pick up barn cat, a little dog house with a heated mat. You might find yourself an excellent little helper. I know my crew helps me work on everything. I've known cats that would not be phased by any tool in the shop or hammering on a anvil.

Just use a small brush and some old engine oil on the stuff you don't want them to chew on. I had a similar problem with mice and bio bar lube. Just a small wipe and mice never again chewed on the stuff.

Latest posts

Back