Face shield with muffs AND hard hat?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

J-Roc

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
How many of you recreational/occasional users use one of these helmets?
Princess Auto sells a combination face shield and ear muffs, but no option for a hard hat.

I don't think that safety really has a price... overkill is definitely not a bad thing,

PA sells their mask for $20, I'm sure the unit I'm referring to is likely triple in price... I don't think I'll be felling many trees, because 90% of the stuff I'll be chopping up will already be down from storms etc.
I see that Stihl and Husky both offer the same style helmet,

Is one really better over the other? I'm looking for comfort more than ease of adjust-ability since I'll be the only one wearing the equipment (I don't like sharing - cooties :p)

Edit:
I need CHAPS too!
Decent suppliers in Canada? Or would I be better off just getting some from the dealer?

Try them all on. And don't just stand there. Bend over, look up, etc.
They all feel different and if it isn't comfortable you won't wear it when you're tired and miserable and that's when you're more likely to get hurt.
I use the Stihl helmet/muffs/face shield and Labonneville chaps.

Last edited:
I really like my Stihl helmet myself. I probably paid too much for it compared to buying one from Bailey's but my dealer has given me enough good deals on used/ junk saws that I'm still a ways ahead as far as I'm concerned.
I've worn a helmet on the job when I worked at the foundry a few years ago and the Stihl helmet is industrial grade IMO..

Go for a set with the helmet. It is surprising how you can get hit in the head from branches falling, 'widow makers', etc. Might be from the tree next to you. Helmet also also protects you somewhat from kick back if the saw swings up that high.

You should be able to get basic stuff (helmet system, chaps, etc.) even from a big box retailer that sells chain saws. Better quality stuff from shops/dealers of better quality saws (STIHL, Husky, etc.) or from mail order (like several of the sponsors of this site, listed above in the flashy signs).

It's best if you can try stuff on - if it ain't comfortable, you will be less likely to use it, and then it does you no good. Most of the brand name stuff is well respected if you have to buy mail order / Internet.

Get a pair of suspenders for the chaps, and still wear safety glasses under the mesh face shield.

Philbert

I use a Husky. Don't like -- it the suspension for the hardhat comes unfastened from the helmet mounts too easily.

Agree that they should be worn. Had a few good size branches bounce off in the last several years.

The helmets are much cheaper than stitches or a funeral.

Know a firewood guy. HUGE man 6'8" 350+ was cuttin a dead tree in a yard and got smacked. He hasn't been able to focus and has had leg pain ever since. 5 years ago or so it happened.

He can barley work now but tries.

The peltor system is nice. If you are not worried about overhead stuff they have just the muffs/shield combo too.

Realize that you still need additional eye protection, 99% of the debris gets stopped by the screen, but it only takes a sliver to poke out an eye

i wear the jonsered helmet/mesh/muffs.

primarily for the muffs.

i wear it when mowing and weedeating too. i've caught some wicked ricochets from my mower before--whacker is self-explanatory. little warm in the summer, but that reminds me not to cut at high-noon.

the helmet looks like overkill on the mower, but i'm not into looks.

sometime i wear it on the tractor.

my ears stay covered all the time running equipment. and they've been ringing since the 80's. (can you say concert? and high-power rifles?)

i wear the jonsered helmet/mesh/muffs.

primarily for the muffs.

i wear it when mowing and weedeating too. i've caught some wicked ricochets from my mower before--whacker is self-explanatory. little warm in the summer, but that reminds me not to cut at high-noon.

the helmet looks like overkill on the mower, but i'm not into looks.

sometime i wear it on the tractor.

my ears stay covered all the time running equipment. and they've been ringing since the 80's. (can you say concert? and high-power rifles?)

I worked in commercial mill, there was one guy, Mike, who never wore hearing protection. After a year they started calling him Zombie , as when you spoke to him you got confused looks unless you yelled real hard..........

P.S. I wore the muffs and the foam inserts at work

I'm a recreational cutter (just firewood) and a Stihl helmet system was one of the first items that I purchased. It's comfortable for me and I won't go out cutting without it. It's saved me from myself on several occasions.....

I have the Rockman Premium helmet. Obviously it has the muffs and the shield. I also have the clear and tinted flip down visors that cover your eyes under the screen shield.

With both visors I've spent well over $100 but this helmet is badass. Really comfortable too. I paid a lot for it, but I have an appreciation for nice things....

I recommend the Rockman, but most don't wanna hand out the large amount of money for it.

Does the suspension webbing mount in slots or is it firmly connected to the hat?

Most helmet suspensions attach via slots so that they can be replaced. On better helmets, these 'snap' into place and stay put, versus lower quality helmets where they can slide out and be annoying. Don't let slots be a deciding factor if the helmet is well made and has a good reputation.

Philbert

Princess Auto is good for some stuff, but for safety gear made in China it's your head.

I have the Stihl helmet system and it's made by Peltor (it's stamped on the helmet suspension and muffs) and I like it, the muffs really hold it in place.

I've used some China helmet for several years really like how it worked but it mroe or less fell apart.

I got a Peltor helmet, its comforable, and has a very compact setup for the faceshield, but the auto mechanism is dumb in that its auto up, but won't just let you "nod" it down like a welding helment.

I got a Rockman and it is slightly heavier than the Peltor, and is in all ways bigger, with better earmuffs (I think).

That all being said, I use the Peltor when I'm running the skidder more than I'm cutting and use the Rockman more when I'm running the chainsaw.

So if you are just cutting with a chainsaw and not much other stuff like skidding or something, then I recommend the Rockman, while it is heavier, its like a Cadilac in that it is very smooth and confortable and very safe. I really like wearing it, and at that point the weigh means little to nothing. Once it is broke in you can easily flip the face shield down with a nodd of the head. Its a few more bucks, but I think it has to be a much higher quality helmet than a lot of other helmets.

My opinion, your money,

Sam

:)I prefer the husky helmet. I have the rock man too but i like the husky better.

How many of you recreational/occasional users use one of these helmets?

I do when working in the woods. Cannot have enough orange on and it is more convenient then having three separate pieces. If I am working in the open and not under any thing than typically just glasses and ear muffs. I use a Peltor helmet.

Cannot help you with suppliers.

Latest posts

Back