Factory 562XP Exhaust Good Enough?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paul Bunions

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Because I have a new saw, plus an old saw which has had problems that were mostly owner-related, I want to get off on the right foot and keep the new one going.

I don't know anything about saws, so I was happy to get either a Stihl or Husky pro model with whatever computerized stuff was available, and I chose a 562XP.

Since getting it, I've seen info on the web about these saws having problems with heat. For example, I heard that dull saws get hot, and this leads to all sorts of destruction. That was news. Never would have figured that out on my own. Also, I saw people complaining about over-restricted exhausts keeping heat in saws.

Should I be looking for some kind of exhaust mod to make sure heat finds its way out?

Because I have a new saw, plus an old saw which has had problems that were mostly owner-related, I want to get off on the right foot and keep the new one going.

I don't know anything about saws, so I was happy to get either a Stihl or Husky pro model with whatever computerized stuff was available, and I chose a 562XP.

Since getting it, I've seen info on the web about these saws having problems with heat. For example, I heard that dull saws get hot, and this leads to all sorts of destruction. That was news. Never would have figured that out on my own. Also, I saw people complaining about over-restricted exhausts keeping heat in saws.

Should I be looking for some kind of exhaust mod to make sure heat finds its way out?
Open up factory outlet, and do an extra port if ur handy at brazing , There to restricted, but if ur worried about warranty issues, then you probably shouldn’t, IMG_1940.jpeg

I just want to be sure it's not holding in more heat than it should. I will keep collecting advice.

A few of my friends have 562's.
Only one has a modded muffler, I helped do it, we cut the baffle that's under the deflector mostly out of it with a dremel. It's pretty frigin loud but runs better.
IMO if you're not using it a lot, you should leave it stock, 99/100 saws are bone stock and last for a long time.
The one we modded gets used bucking up log piles, it gets run hard for a tank or two non stop so getting rid of heat was a priority on it.

Just leave it alone, it's perfectly fine stock. Yes you might get a bit more power out of a modded muffler, but you won't have any longevity issues. Just go cut wood.
It’s more about getting the heat out the engine more efficiently , than anything else, and a slight performance boost, But if ur worried about warranty issues, then leave it alone,

It’s more about getting the heat out the engine more efficiently , than anything else, and a slight performance boost, But if ur worried about warranty issues, then leave it alone,
Exactly this, it's not really a huge jump in performance but it defalty makes them run cooler. The whole cylinder/ muffler layout just makes tou wonder if husqy is trying to keep more heat in the saw.

The issue with these in particular is they have heat related issues, even to the point that husqy had made several updates to address them. Having (formerly) an early model 562xp I understand why some of the updates were done, a muffler mod did make a significant difference in keeping the saw cooler. It's an easy enough mod to do, so I generally reccomend it.

I'm more concerned with stupid things factories do than with getting peak performance. My car came with a foam rubber sweater on the engine. No lie. It also has shutters on the radiator to make it run hotter (now permanently jammed open). These parts were intended to address unimportant environmental concerns, badly, and they are bad for the car and my bank account. Things like that have to go. A company that makes products for me should always put me first if it can.

A lot of products are made to work badly and fail early these days.

If the saw will be happy as it is, I'm happy, too.

Bet 98% of saws run the factory muffler their entire lives, with no issue.

This guy has had other issues with saws, which was over half the reason I was suggesting leaving a well running saw alone.
Thanks for including the phrase "with saws." That was generous, considering my history of mistakes.

I'm more concerned with stupid things factories do than with getting peak performance. My car came with a foam rubber sweater on the engine. No lie. It also has shutters on the radiator to make it run hotter (now permanently jammed open). These parts were intended to address unimportant environmental concerns, badly, and they are bad for the car and my bank account. Things like that have to go. A company that makes products for me should always put me first if it can.

A lot of products are made to work badly and fail early these days.

If the saw will be happy as it is, I'm happy, too.
🙄 the diapers suck to deal with, but are from customers wanting a quiet ride. The shudders won't make your car run hotter then it should either, given they are working properly. At worst you will get less efficiency from the engine from being over cooled. Engines run the most efficient when they are maintained at a desired temp. Cold weather shudders are generally just in use to help get the engine up to temp faster. Yes there are some emissions gain from this, but also effect efficiency. It's not there to kill your pocket book nor directly because of the government. Years ago shudders were std equipment. Not the best design or idea, but functioned well enough.
In the case of the saws there has been a balance of epa stupidity with keeping cost reasonable and increasing performance while having some sort of longevity. It all come into play. Non of it is specifically done to screw the customer over.

Husqvarna do a lot of research so if I were you I would leave it stock and forget all you read of folk doing a mod and doubling the power. Run it with good oil & fuel and the most important bit is a sharp chain. I see so many saws burnt out because they are pushed & pushed when the chain wouldnt cut butter.
I have a 550 with and opened up muffler, its loud and cuts fine but in your case, just run it as it is and dont get drawn in just trust the makers who have done all the work.

Husqvarna do a lot of research so if I were you I would leave it stock and forget all you read of folk doing a mod and doubling the power..

I have a 550 with and opened up muffler, its loud and cuts fine but
Its loud because most probablly you did "see trough" MMode....

Once one wise guy here (or on OPEforum) gave a good hint about MMod....that made me (re)think that

"There are ways to make it better....but not as loud"

So I will cut it from below....and dremel ways/openings that it will be still "stock" in design....but will flow better....

Back