Fair Deal for Both

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tecumseh

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
What is a fair price to charge a land owner to cut split and stack in the woods a cord of wood cut 16"? Also what is a fair trade if I cut him a cord how much should I get?
Thanks

What is a fair price to charge a land owner to cut split and stack in the woods a cord of wood cut 16"? Also what is a fair trade if I cut him a cord how much should I get?
Thanks

depends on the situation
if the trees are already down, and you can get your splitter right next to them, to buck, split and stack a cord shouldnt take you more than 4 hours... so figure out what you think you are worth, and dont forget you are running your equipment too.
could be ideal situation and take 4 hours or less cut split and stacked, or it could be a nightmare full of brush and vines , cant get the splitter near the rounds, etc, and take all day to get one cord done

If it was me and an easy set up one cord and 50$ for me one processed cord for him. 50 covers gas chain lunch and all the little stuff then it's an even trade from there

IMHO, I wouldn't charge any less than I would charge for a full cord of css wood. I get all my wood free, if a landowner thinks he is going to start charging me to cut wood on his place by getting his wood css for free/cheap, I'll just move on to the next guy and cut wood there.

IMO you have it heavily weighted in your favor.
Harry K

IMHO, I wouldn't charge any less than I would charge for a full cord of css wood. I get all my wood free, if a landowner thinks he is going to start charging me to cut wood on his place by getting his wood css for free/cheap, I'll just move on to the next guy and cut wood there.

Both got it right.

Charge what the cord is worth, plus add your time and gear. You're not a commodity; you have the skill, experience, gear, and grunt that the landowner will or is unable to do himself.

Too often people think that because they see a logger, arborist, feller working clearly, in the open, that all it takes is to press the trigger. Then the cut, split, and stacked wood is there. Magic.

JMNSHO

Your doing all the work so it totally up to you...folks understand no one works for nothing.

Different for different people. I have all the wood on my property I actually need. But I won't turn down easy access wood or helping someone out.
This summer a friend had about seven cherry trees (18"-30") and one poplar (36"+ SOB) come down in her yard. I cut all up and hauled away for free as I kept all the wood.
I have a neighbor that has had a couple oaks (24"-30") down in his yard for 2 years. Last year I offered to cut them up for him. He offered we'd split the wood 50/50 after bucking and splitting. Even though I could get my tractor and splitting right next to the trees, I'm not doing the work for 1/2 the wood. If the neighbor was elderly or couldn't physically cut the wood I'd do it then for probably none of the wood. The trees are still in the yard rotting because he is able to cut wood and has A LOT more time than I do.
Also around here cutting tops after logging the landowner gets about $10 per cord.

If he were furnishing the wood, if it was already down and accessible were I wouldn't have to use my tractor I would cut, split & pile a cord of 16" wood for him for 20.00 an hour/ 60.00 minimum That is assuming it is an immediate neighbor. If it were a good neighbor and a one time deal I'd do it for a cord if trading out for wood. We get an additional 5.00 a face cord for stacking.

If I'm doing it for the business and not a neighbor (95% of the time all the wood we cut is given to us for free) I would start negotiations at 10:1, ten cords for me, one cord for the land owner and if I had too would prolly negotiate to 7:3 if it were primo seasoned oak or hickory. That is cut, split and piled, not stacked

When harvesting wood on peoples property they should look at it as a service you are providing. Cleaning up dead, downed trees, and cutting off vines off the live ones is not easy work. When cutting wood for myself I don't pay anything. If cutting the wood to sell, I share a small amount, which is more like a thank you than any large amount of money or gift.

Which ever way you can work it.
Marty

Around here...

Standing trees sell for about $30-35/cord.

Delivered dumped in the driveway green, cut, and split about $185. Having to stack probably largely offsets the time it would take to deliver.

185/35 yields 5 for me, 1 for you. That's not too far off from some of the other posters above who are looking at it from a business perspective.

Clearly if you're desperate -- you don't have the $35 or access to standing timber -- you might be willing to pay more in terms of your time for the privilege of cutting someone's wood.

Or if you're doing it as exercise / leisure / help someone out and don't mind just splitting it.

But the dollars and cents when you look at prices folks charge for wood standing v. wood delivered, you're in that 7:3, 10:1 range the fellah from Missouri mentioned.

Back