Falling an Alder in Oregon

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alderman

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I use a chain around the tree most of the time as the Alders are notorious for splitting while on the way down and I don't have enough experience to guess which ones will or won't.

I use a chain around the tree most of the time as the Alders are notorious for splitting while on the way down and I don't have enough experience to guess which ones will or won't.

They can be nasty this time of year

I have a bit of experience falling alder and the best way to tell which ones will split is to look for a tree that is attached to a stump or in any way touching the ground, those are the ones that will split, it is a clear sign.

Mr. HE:cool:

This one had a little moss on it. I've seen them with a lot more. Byproduct of living in a near rain forest climate.

Also a byproduct is if you get a day as nice as this one was you really appreciate it.

Another thing I have found about Alders is if cows have been around them they more likely to be dead in the center of the log. This past summer just about every Alder I cut down had that problem

Alot of this winter was like this the first 8 ft or so

004-1.jpg

stand in one place for more than 24 hours out here and yer shirt starts growing moss,

Seriously though even cars that get driven daily will start growing moss if there not cleaned once in a while

Very true on the cars and moss. Also, your clothes will mildew in your dresser drawer in your warm house even if it is on an interior wall. We ran a dehumidifier all winter long at our place.

The pressure treated wooden deck on your flat trailer will grow alge and moss and be so slick you'll think it has ice on it.

Park a car for a few months and the whole interior will be covered in mildew. Strangely enough though, unless you live on the coast the car won't rust very fast, if at all.

LOL; tomorrow I'll get pic's of my neighbors drive way

It's in the shade 90% of the time

I'll give ya a hint it's green :msp_ohmy:

I washed and waxed the non winter driving pickup in October and noticed it had a nice new crop of moss growing on it, or slime or mildew.

Here is a video of a faller cutting alder about a year ago on a windy day. Notice he is standing away from the tree.
[video=youtube;LbtX3syK8vY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LbtX3syK8vY&feature=share&list=UU9mFXlXjEJvJoCImQvFXVSg[/video]

Alder is prone to barberchair especially when temperatures are freezing. I finally figured that out after cutting a few small ones.

There's an old wifes tail about moss growing thicker on the north side of a tree... so you can use it like a compass sort of...

Allot of people get very lost in these woods... the funny thing is most of em are only a few miles from civilization, there just going the wrong way...

Yep, I had lichen (sp) growing out of the weather stripping around the back window on my truck. I also made pretty good money treating paved areas, sidewalks, driveways and roofs to prevent moss growth.

I don't know if it's for other wood as much but with alder, but you want to leave it standing, even if it's a blowdown or leaner until your ready to harvest the wood. Once its on the ground it starts to rot fairly quickly compared to maple. And blowdowns do make for some exciting barberchair activity. Thank heaven most alder isn't over 22" and a lot is around a foot in diameter. I'd sure hate to play those games with a 36+ inch one.

I don't know if it's for other wood as much but with alder, but you want to leave it standing, even if it's a blowdown or leaner until your ready to harvest the wood. Once its on the ground it starts to rot fairly quickly compared to maple. And blowdowns do make for some exciting barberchair activity. Thank heaven most alder isn't over 22" and a lot is around a foot in diameter. I'd sure hate to play those games with a 36+ inch one.

I'm lucky I have about 40 acres (now) on and old dairy farm that I get to cut on and it's about 60% Alder. All I harvested last year was mostly blown-downs; leaners and standing dead trees yet the only problem I have is getting back into it (such a short window of time during the summer) it's just to wet were these Alders grow

This year I'll be cutting for the land owner and 3 other house holds (including mine) I had to wear rubber boots when I was checking it out yesterday stinking in about 6 inches with every step

Latest posts

Back