Falling Spikes, Big Dawgs, whatever you call them!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Four Paws

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Looking for pictures of Bailey's spikes, or Madsen's Spikes, on a 440, 460 ot 660. Also would like to see some side-by-side comparisons to stock double spikes on the same saws. Deciding if I want to go aftermarket or stick with Stihl Spikes...and pictures are worth a thousand words!

Thanks, Josh

Looking for pictures of Bailey's spikes, or Madsen's Spikes, on a 440, 460 ot 660. Also would like to see some side-by-side comparisons to stock double spikes on the same saws. Deciding if I want to go aftermarket or stick with Stihl Spikes...and pictures are worth a thousand words!

Thanks, Josh

I don't have pics, but my own feeling is that the most extreme dogs that baileys sells are a bit longer than I find useful. I have seen pics on AS sometime in the last year or so, though.

On my 066 ahd 880 (as well as my bigger Huskies) I have the big stock dogs which I find great. I mean the bigger size stock dogs that come with the full wrap bars out west here.

So my vote is for the big Stihl dogs, with the nice roller. Course it is a personal thing, and MMV.

Last edited:
Holy cow...

There was a pic of my 044 very recently put up that has the Madsen's kit on it with the ceramic roller...

You must have been absent that day...:popcorn:

Gary

Last edited:
They are black...

attachment.php

Holy cow...

There was a pic of my 044 very recently put up that has the Madsen's kit on it with the ceramic roller...

You must have been absent that day...:popcorn:

Gary

Believe it or not, I did find that picture using the search function - thanks for posting it again even though I pulled a newbie move. HAHA

Lakeside53 said:
Stihl spikes do the job well on anything we face out here, which is more than you face out there

You say that like I live on the east coast :) But you are correct.

Here is my question, why does the outer spike on a 660 have a different part number than the outer spike on a 460 when they use the same side cover?

Thanks guys, Josh

I like longer spikes for general falling but they stand out when dealing with redwood and fir. The big dogs like Bailey's sells are a cheap addition to your too box. If you don't like them you can sell them at the classified site.

They are black...

attachment.php

My eyes! My eyes!

Oh the pain, a nice perfect looking Stihl, sitting where? In front of a gas insert. The horror.

My eyes! My eyes!

I hope that photo was not just to make your saw cringe and want to lay down on you. If I was a saw and was set next to a gas insert I would not want to do anything else for the guy that put me there. There are better ways of getting new saws other than torturing the existsing ones into muteny

Now my saws get to come upstairs from the shop once and a while just to sit infront of the WOOD stove. When it gets cold down there I think they enjoy getting some warmth from the wood the worked hard on. I know I sure do.

If I can get the boy to put up a couple photos for me I will show you the custom SS growlers I built for my saws, I will see if I can get him to scan the drawings for them also. All I have to do now is nail his feet to the floor when he gets back on Sat. Some times it sucks not having made it over the digital divide yet.

Owl

Falling Spikes, Big Dawgs, whatever you call them!
Dull chain helpers! I have some 084 and 088 dogs here and some other miscellaneous stock dogs tucked away,in the back of the shop of course! You have been a very reparable poster here on As so the price would be great. Seth

right in front of my gas logs, LOL

Stock 440 with big Stihl spikes and ceramic catcher. These fit me well and should be all I need for a spike. The 660 has the big ones too but it's dirty.:cry: :)

attachment.php
[

Last edited:
so what species of wood do you cut with your stock 044. not that it maters. 2k?

The 044 eh? Doesn't look like it will be cutting much real wood. A cookie here and there I guess, worthless as of now. She will be back up in the work saw line up soon:cry: :cry: :censored:

The 440 does oak, pine, sweetgum, etc. The 460 will be doing the same, just a little faster, hehe. I got the 460 to retire that pictured 440 since it is in like new condition. It is now a back up saw.:)

Last edited:
My eyes! My eyes!

Oh the pain, a nice perfect looking Stihl, sitting where? In front of a gas insert. The horror.

My eyes! My eyes!

I hope that photo was not just to make your saw cringe and want to lay down on you. If I was a saw and was set next to a gas insert I would not want to do anything else for the guy that put me there. There are better ways of getting new saws other than torturing the existsing ones into muteny

Now my saws get to come upstairs from the shop once and a while just to sit infront of the WOOD stove. When it gets cold down there I think they enjoy getting some warmth from the wood the worked hard on. I know I sure do.

If I can get the boy to put up a couple photos for me I will show you the custom SS growlers I built for my saws, I will see if I can get him to scan the drawings for them also. All I have to do now is nail his feet to the floor when he gets back on Sat. Some times it sucks not having made it over the digital divide yet.

Owl

I know... my landlord decided 3 years ago that a gas insert would be more better in heatinf the house. Even though I told him I was happy with the wood stove insert... Plus I was gettin' my wood for free. :)

So now I have to pay for Natural Gas where I had no heating bill before... sucks.:taped:

Oh well... what's a guy to do... :popcorn:

Gary

Back