Falling split trunk oak

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wagz

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Like title says. Split trunk oak tree - standing dead but i dont think it's rotten. Safer to fall it as 2 separate trees or to fall it below the split as 1? Split is about 7' in the air. Pics coming...

pics

Attachments

• IMG_6609.jpg
    IMG_6609.jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 10
  • IMG_6608.jpg
    IMG_6608.jpg
    4.1 MB · Views: 12
tree on the left with 2 blue Xs on it. clear path to fall directly left of that tree as you are looking at it...

its a judgement call that pics won't really give enough info to say one way or the other.

if appears to have grown together well enough and has a decent lean in a good direction, fall em together, or if there is overhead limb issues to where they won't want to fall separate, then fall them together

but if they don't have sufficient bond, and are not so tall you can't reach them, then its better to fall them separate.

its really users choice though both have their own dangers, if you fall them together as one cut you run a risk of them pulling apart before you finish the cut, or chairing real bad.

Separate, then you have the issue of falling debris from being limb locked...

I had a double tree last year that presented me with the same question. I had lots of room to work with... Ultimately I felled them separately after running the saw down through the bark inclusion. Doing that allowed me to treat them as two trees without worrying about them being stuck together. For the first tree I made an open face cut, bored to set the hinge, set a wedge, and then made a bore cut at the seam to cut the trigger. I did the same basic thing for the second one but simply cut the trigger from the outside as normal. Yeah, the "crotch" was dirty and the chain needed to be touched up, but it seemed like the safest way to handle "my" tree. I ruled out cutting them together as I had no good escape route if the two trees split apart as they fell. You'll have to assess your tree carefully as your challenges are probably different from mine!

If you try it as one, make sure you have a clear escape path in ALL directions. If you try to fell it as one there's no way of knowing if that tree will fall where it is aimed or split apart and fall perpendicular to its face cut. My recommendation would be to treat it as 2 trees. I took down a cherry tree that looked like that. It was close to wires and my shed, so I dismantled it from the top down. The bark inclusion went all the way to the ground, and the two trunks came apart cleanly when I dropped the last 10 feet of trunk. I'm sure it would have split and gone the wrong direction if I had tried to fell it as one tree.

That is not a split trunk oak.
This is a split trunk oak:
RIMG0248.JPG :D

With thanks to Crocodile Dundee...

Whatever, I'd be sure to totally clear all that junk at the foot. We can plan an escape route, or even two, but a tree like yours can spin and come over in a direction you didn't expect.

View attachment 969583 :D

Whatever, I'd be sure to totally clear all that junk at the foot. We can plan an escape route, or even two, but a tree like yours can spin and come over in a direction you didn't expect.
And a HUGE split trunk oak at that! :cool: OT

split is a good 7' in the air. dont know how i'd drop the 2 trees separately without standing on something - which is usually my absolute cardinal rule when using a chainsaw.

View attachment 969583 :D

Looks like
Like title says. Split trunk oak tree - standing dead but i dont think it's rotten. Safer to fall it as 2 separate trees or to fall it below the split as 1? Split is about 7' in the air. Pics coming...
could be done as two separate leaners, wedge cuts then plunge an inch back from the wedge and keep on towards the bark inclusion.

like i said the split is 7' in the air. i dont cut from a ladder and there's nothing there for me to really climb on the tree and cut from.

like i said the split is 7' in the air. i dont cut from a ladder and there's nothing there for me to really climb on the tree and cut from.
I think you're going to need to separate them as @GrizG said as long as they are not limb locked as @northmanlogging said.
Clear the area well, then I would cut the crotch down to where you are comfortable setting up the notch/back cut, then send the first one similar(your notch would be turned a bit) to this pair. These could have been cut lower if someone wasn't comfortable cutting that high.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-03-04 at 9.11.46 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-03-04 at 9.11.46 PM.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 3
  • Screen Shot 2022-03-04 at 9.12.44 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-03-04 at 9.12.44 PM.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 3
  • Screen Shot 2022-03-04 at 9.13.08 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-03-04 at 9.13.08 PM.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 3
Back