Farmers (the rest of you guys, stay out)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm not a farmer, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.
Oops got surgery, gotta run.
I've used a hay bale conveyor with the moving chain/plates for wood and they work well. Don't know how it would work with the other bulk goods though.

here's the scoop, I talked to my friend todaya nd he gave me the specs, it's a Farm Ease 140' 4 position belt feeder, it does not have rollers it's a belt to steel. It's revesable and can be broke down into smaller units. He said he ran one 24'X80' silo of sileage through it and that was it, he paid 7200.00 new. But he wants it gone, so make him an offer!

Any chance you could send me a picture? Sounds awfully big but what the heck.

Everybody else keep out? That's kinda rude huh? Now go ahead and define " farmer" would ya?
Even though I am not one being denied the pleasure because, of course, The Dan is a farmer and I need a conveyor real bad. It seems an easy build to diy.
Farmers? Who ain't a farmer?

Yes, I guess I am

I'm not a farmer, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.
Oops got surgery, gotta run.
I've used a hay bale conveyor with the moving chain/plates for wood and they work well. Don't know how it would work with the other bulk goods though.

I thought maybe I could knock off two birds with one stone. Thanks for the reply. (Holiday Inn thing was funny)

Leon

At no time did I ask the good lord or anyone else about being "intent" on building one. I asked about a belt conveyor. And when did John Deere ever make a "narrow trough" manure spreader? I haven't the foggiest idea what your talking about. I do appreciate the fact that you care enough to send a reply though.

Clawmute

Thanks for the great pictures and the ideas. I've seen several conveyors at work at our local elevator and they seem to work vey well. Really can't afford new for something as simple as wood but if I could use it for a dual purpose I could justify it a lot more.

unless there are sides on a belt conveyor you will have wood rolling off of it. someone could get hurt. the belt traveling over the trough rollers will give the wood some movement and start it rolling. i've worked in the mining industry almost 30 years. a semi round rock by itself on the belt will start rolling and tumbling.
i'm also a part time farmer.
might be something to think about.

I was talking about one with sides. I've seen them at work at our local elevator carrying fertilizer and seed. Thought it might work for wood also.

Buy an old grain elevator for the wood and a decent one for the crops. I think I paid around $100 for my old grain elevator, put a new cord on it and away went the wood. I'm sure there's lots sitting sround behind barns near you. I have pictures of mine on here somewhere. search?

Conveyor for mud?

Clawmute, I have a lake that needs cleaning out (about 7 acres) I have thought of the idea of draining it and running a conveyor belt out to the center and loading it with a trackhoe into a waiting dump truck......maybe far fetched???

courious

Clawmute, I have a lake that needs cleaning out (about 7 acres) I have thought of the idea of draining it and running a conveyor belt out to the center and loading it with a trackhoe into a waiting dump truck......maybe far fetched???

Where are you going to pump 7 acre pond to,? Eric

conveyor

At no time did I ask the good lord or anyone else about being "intent" on building one. I asked about a belt conveyor. And when did John Deere ever make a "narrow trough" manure spreader? I haven't the foggiest idea what your talking about. I do appreciate the fact that you care enough to send a reply though.

If you look at the spreaders with hydraulic pusher plates used to eliminate the bed chains you will see what I am describing. the designs do not leak either as the boxes are sealed due to the drop gate at the end and the fully retracted pusher plates sealing the sides and bottom.

A belt conveyor takes a lot of work, metal and design to build one. Perhaps a narrow little giant elevator is the way to go? they light weight and very mobile too.

leon :chainsaw: :givebeer: :popcorn:

Any chance you could send me a picture? Sounds awfully big but what the heck.

Yes I will post pics tonight, it was getting dark by the time I remembered last night. The conveyor is in sections so you can make it as long or short as you want, you might just have some extra's.

Where in Michigan are you?

Last edited:

Why not just pump it out with a mud hog type pump that will move a slurry like thick mud?

Belt conveyor will probably not work but flighted chain will pull the stuff that runs off of a belt. If there is a cut through the dam and the conveyor slopes toward the truck then maybe if it is a trough contained belt.

If it was a short distance augers will work. I made a sawdust removal auger by heating and wrapping flat bar around a pipe shaft as a helix. I ran it right under the saw and it moved all the sawdust out to a pile. Augers will move liquids and slurrys, especially if it is at least level or even downhill a little.

One more thought. If you're going to put a cut in the dam anyway make it big enough to pass a tractor with a FEL. Push the muck out throught the hole and spread it a the base of the dam then backfill/compact the cut. Least amount of work.

Last edited:
Yes I will post pics tonight, it was getting dark by the time I remembered last night. The conveyor is in sections so you can make it as long or short as you want, you might just have some extra's.

Where in Michigan are you?

Central between Flint and Lansing

Back