Fast splitter or Small processor?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iamspt

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I am a small firewood outfit. Firewood is not my primary business but do want to grow it with my son. Was thinking about purchasing a bigger splittler like a norther hydraulics with log lift, a timberwolf or possibly a smallfirewood processor. Abviously money or the time to pay back the investment is a concern. What would you do? What are more productive splitters out there? Timberwolves are slightly expensive. i know they are goo dmachines though. What about small processors? What equipment choices are out there?

Sounds like a Super Splitter would be perfect fo you. For around 3k new you can't beat it. Really fast and dependable.

Scott

A smaller processor is typically going to limit you on length and diameter of logs that you can "process". You also need to want to feed it wood. I would love a processor but the timberwolf made a lot more sense at this time. In my opinion any of the high production splitters are useless unless you have a conveyor to move the wood away, otherwise you are just wasting your increased productivity by working the pile away or moving the splitter all the time.

For the price you would spend for a high class splitter (might be less depending on your materials) you could build one that is as quick or quicker than a mass produced model. Figure this either of northern tool's splitters that are rated at 32-37 tons they are ONLY pushing 28.42 tons MAX the splitter thats rated for 22 tons only pushes 18.22 tons and the 30 ton model only pushes 23 tons and the kicker is the 42 ton model is only 38 tons. These figures are assuming all valves are allowing a max pressure of 2750 the extra cost of a log lift for these units is highly over rated you can build one for less than $500 if you have the materials. Most all of your parts can come out of a scrap yard the current market price here for I beams is $0.20 per LB and your pump will run in the neighborhood of $100 to $120 and thats not using a two stage pump which will save you around $300. Your engine can come from ANYTHING including a old vdub bug all you got to do is rig up a drive shaft for the pump that won't put a side load on your pump shaft.

Last edited:
lots of truths in the last 2 posts.

conveyor to haul away split wood is HUGE.

a method to bring you fresh rounds is HUGE.

I have round that a dump trailer or a truck with a dump bed works best for making splitting faster. Once you have the trailer loaded you just back it up to the splitter and put the dump up. Everything slides back to you while your in the same spot. My dump trailer can haul close to 2 cord throw in. That is a lot of splitting without having to move anything. A conveyor is also a great idea. For firewood production on a smal scale you would be very pleased with a Supper Splitter. Use some of the money you save on it over a Timber Wolfe and get a 90cc saw for quartering blocks you can't lift.

Scott

multi way wedge for super splitter?

Can you add a 4 way wedge to a super splitter? Just seems like it's slightly faster than a hydro splitter but could ge tmore production from a 4 way wedge and a slower cycle time than a single wedge on a super splitter?

A good hydro splitter is in the 12 second range for cycle time (yes some are 8 seconds). A Super Splitter has a cycle time of 2 1/2 seconds. It's more then a little faster then a hydro. I have a friend that has a Tw-2. It's a nice splitter. Built really nice and sturdy. It has a single wedge and was 3k or so new. It's just slow compared to my Super Splitter and uses a lot more fuel then I do. You you have never used a Super Splitter you should. It's hard to understand why people like them so much until you use one.

Scott

Things to consider when choosing the right machine for you are .

Firewood processor ,
allows for greatest amount of production with least amount of operator effort
requires the most area to be used efficiently
requires support equipment to transport logs and load processor
works best with consistent diameter logs
least portable
can be operated efficiently by one man
several different brands

Horizontal hydraulic splitter,
requires less space
will handle a greater variety of wood
can be equipped with multi-wedges and log lifter
log lift located opposite operator requires two man too be most efficient
more portable than a processor
many different brands

Non-hydraulic splitter,
fast cycle time
fairly compact
single wedge only
no log lift option
can require the most operator effort
can be difficult for operator to keep up with for long period of time
two different brands at this time Super Split and Gruppo

Non-typical vertical hydraulic splitter,
average size
portable
log lift ,multi-wedge ,and conveyor optional
can be efficiently operated by one man
three brands Timber Devil,Power Split, Super Axe

A smaller processor is typically going to limit you on length and diameter of logs that you can "process". You also need to want to feed it wood. I would love a processor but the timberwolf made a lot more sense at this time. In my opinion any of the high production splitters are useless unless you have a conveyor to move the wood away, otherwise you are just wasting your increased productivity by working the pile away or moving the splitter all the time.
Amen to that brother

Latest posts

Back