Fastest trees to 40+ feet?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

whitenack

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Hi folks,

I need a suggestion for trees we should plant for quickest growth. The trees need to be fast growing and reach heights of at least 40 feet, preferrably taller.

Site: The location will be in full sun with plenty of space overhead and side to side.

Risk of wind breakage is not a problem since this area will be out in the open without a structure within 60-80 yds.

Thanks.

Without a doubt, the hybrid poplar has got to be the fastest growing tree that I have encountered. I planted 30 of them after we bought our new property, and most of them have grown a little over ten feet each year.Do a google search and you will find several vendors that will ship you a bundle of twigs.Shove em in the ground,keep em watered, and you should have six feet tall trees by the end of this summer. Next summer after good structure is built you will be astonished how fast they grow.I have seen visible growth from one day to the next.I have several trees now that are over eight inches in diameter at the base,which is mighty quick since they started as twigs the size of a pencil.They are fairly cheap to, seems to me that I paid less fifty bucks for a hundred twigs including shipping.What I didnt plant I gave to a neighbor who has a nice windbreak for his property.I bought mine here
http://www.hybridpoplars.com/cuttings.htm

Wow thats fast! Im moving most of my land around next year or so (we all know how plans go) and I wanna line my bank and drive way with big shade trees. How much ground disturbance do they make? I mean , how far could I plant them next to my drive or creek bank?

Austree Willow

Another possibility is a hybrid willow, sold under the brand name of Austree. Very fast, and you can start new ones just by cutting off a small branch and sticking it in the ground and keeping it watered the first year. I took one out of my yard in January, it is cut into firewood size chunks, and is growing new shoots on the woodpile! :dizzy:

Downside: It's a trashy tree. Every spring I have to rake under and around it because of all the little branches that fall out over the winter. Also, very important, they are water seekers. They send out roots very very far from the tree and will plug up septic systems, field tile, sewers, drains, etc. I have two more on my property that I will be removing within the next year or so due to this reason. :chainsaw::chainsaw:But in the right location it would be fine.

Wow thats fast! Im moving most of my land around next year or so (we all know how plans go) and I wanna line my bank and drive way with big shade trees. How much ground disturbance do they make? I mean , how far could I plant them next to my drive or creek bank?

That I couldnt tell you.I have the majority of my trees planted around the yard,a little over two acres of lawn with no issues with driveways etc.I do have one next to my sidewalk,maybe eight feet from it,and havent noticed and cracking of the concrete.However, bear in mind these are young trees,most of them are 25ft tall,some pushing over 40,and have only been in the ground for four years.After they get bigger, hard to tell what they will do.I planted them mainly until the other trees get established and big enough to fill out the yard, then I plan on cutting them down.The previous owners of this place hated trees and any other type of landscaping,so it was a chore to get it to where it is now.

That I couldnt tell you.I have the majority of my trees planted around the yard,a little over two acres of lawn with no issues with driveways etc.I do have one next to my sidewalk,maybe eight feet from it,and havent noticed and cracking of the concrete.However, bear in mind these are young trees,most of them are 25ft tall,some pushing over 40,and have only been in the ground for four years.After they get bigger, hard to tell what they will do.I planted them mainly until the other trees get established and big enough to fill out the yard, then I plan on cutting them down.The previous owners of this place hated trees and any other type of landscaping,so it was a chore to get it to where it is now.

I assume these are very similar to tulip poplar? Seems like I heard that they will occaisionally lift sidewalks and things, and they also attract aphids, which in turn can make for sticky driveways under the limbs.

Thanks for the replies. Any other suggestions?

I suggest avoiding the hybrids and going with the native tree: Liriodendron tulipifera. I'd plant about 20 to 25ft. back from the driveway and 10ft. or a little more from your creek bank.

You may be able to get tulip poplar at real good prices from your forest service. Try to make sure the seed from which the trees are grown are from your area.....or try digging and transplanting small trees from your area. Tulip poplar is a fast growing tree and has almost zero problems with insects and disease.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liriodendron_tulipifera

Thanks for the reply. Just FYI, my plantings will be out in the open with nothing under or close, except maybe other trees I plant. DJ4wd had the creekbed and driveway issues.

You may be able to get tulip poplar at real good prices from your forest service. Try to make sure the seed from which the trees are grown are from your area.....or try digging and transplanting small trees from your area. Tulip poplar is a fast growing tree and has almost zero problems with insects and disease.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liriodendron_tulipifera

Thanks so much for this recommendation. I looked up KY's Forestry Div. online and they have a great selection with cheap prices!

Help me choose a few quick growers from some of the list...

White Pine
Lobloly Pine
Yellow-Poplar
White Ash
Green Ash
Northern Red Oak

Feel free to pick more than one. I would like to put in several and have a somewhat-natural looking clump of trees.

Thanks so much for this recommendation. I looked up KY's Forestry Div. online and they have a great selection with cheap prices!

Help me choose a few quick growers from some of the list...

White Pine
Lobloly Pine
Yellow-Poplar
White Ash
Green Ash
Northern Red Oak

Feel free to pick more than one. I would like to put in several and have a somewhat-natural looking clump of trees.

From that list Yellow-poplar, Loblolly, and Green Ash are pretty fast growers. And probably in order of fastest to least fastest.

I have a green ash at my parent's place and it puts on 2.5 -3' of growth per year, and they live in Texas.

With yellow-poplar you can expect 2.5' + per year on a good site.

Without a doubt, the hybrid poplar has got to be the fastest growing tree that I have encountered. I planted 30 of them after we bought our new property, and most of them have grown a little over ten feet each year.

Any idea what the life expectancy of those trees might be?

:popcorn:

Fast tree

Anyone of those willows or poplars,Auss trees? No ice storms there I bet? and ash (EAB remember) and you'll be around to watch them decline--the site and species sound just wonderful. 30 years from now you'll be contacting the forum to have people come down and take them out. I'm way to far north to suggest a good specie. But you really can't go wrong with a slow to moderate growth rate tree.

Anyone of those willows or poplars,Auss trees? No ice storms there I bet? and ash (EAB remember) and you'll be around to watch them decline--the site and species sound just wonderful. 30 years from now you'll be contacting the forum to have people come down and take them out. I'm way to far north to suggest a good specie. But you really can't go wrong with a slow to moderate growth rate tree.

Thanks for the comments. I need something for a quick screen. I plan to come back with better quality trees to plant with them, for when the faster trees don't last.

Latest posts

Back