Fatality From Chainsaw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LoveStihlQuality

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
A 22 year old firefighter inmates in California died from chainsaw cut to leg artery. Fighting brush fire July 5. After surgeries, died from injury.

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk

More details released about the May 24 inmate fatality in California

FatalityTree.jpg

Above: The top of the tree that struck Matthew Beck on May 24, 2017. CAL FIRE photo.

The California Department of Forestry and Fire Protection has released a few more details about the accident that killed a California inmate firefighter in Humboldt County on May 24. As disclosed earlier, Matthew Beck died after being struck by a falling tree.

Now we know that the tree had been previously identified as being hazardous but it was thought to be outside the work area.

Alder Crew #4 was working on Ishi Pishi Road towards Somes Bar picking up piles of limbs and brush from the previous two days of work to feed into a chipper. The machine was running at full throttle when the crew supervisor saw the tree falling and yelled a warning, which was not heard by the entire crew due to the noise from the chipper.

The supervisor attempted to call the Fortuna Emergency Communications Center on his hand held radio but could not make contact. He got in the crew carrier truck and drove about 400 yards to a location from which he could talk to the ECC with the vehicle’s mobile radio.

Mr. Beck received a fatal blow from the tree causing blunt force trauma to the head, neck, and torso.

The tree was a 105-year-old, 146-foot Douglas-fir, with a 21.5-inch diameter (DBH). It weighed approximately 3,000 pounds and had a downhill lean of about 46 degrees. Mr. Beck was hit by a portion of the tree that was about 18 feet from the tree top.

California firefighter dies after suffering chain saw injury

Frank Anaya
Frank Anaya
A California firefighter died July 11 in a hospital from injuries he suffered July 5 while fighting a wildfire near Lakeside in Southern California.

The inmate firefighter with the California Department of Corrections and Rehabilitation based at the La Cima Conservation Camp, was operating a chainsaw that severely cut his leg and femoral artery.

The 22-year old firefighter underwent multiple surgeries, but succumbed to his injuries about 4:30 Tuesday morning, according to the CDCR.

Our sincere condolences go out to Mr. Anaya’s friends, family, and coworkers.

Other California inmate firefighter fatalities that we are aware of in the last six years:

January 4, 2012. Crisanto Leo Lionell. Heart attack near the conclusion of a 20-minute, .66 mile exercise hike.
August 19, 2012. Jimmy Randolph. Anoxic encephalopathy combined with complications of heat stroke while assigned to the Buck Fire.
February 25, 2016. Shawna Lynn Jones. Struck by rolling boulder while working on the Mulholland Fire .
May 24, 2017. Matthew Beck. Struck by falling tree while doing project work with his crew.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've worked around inmate crews on fires. They walk the same steep ground, do the same strenuous work, eat the same camp food, and share the same ever constant risks as the regular fire crews.
They contribute a lot of expertise and effort.
I was always glad to see them.

If it is ran by the state i would think youd be required to have on protective gear at all times

Anyone else think that a 146' tall fir tree might weigh a bit more than 3000 pounds? Maybe they left a zero off...
Are you considering the Dia? It's 21".
Average the cone shape. = 10.5" average over 144 ft
Now estimate on memory what your average wood weight is at 10.5 " dia per ft. X 144
Or a longer piece you may carry.
5ft weight X 29 = ?
or work out the proper math and see what you all come up with.
I bet you are all close to one another.

Latest posts

Back