Father's Day finds - Deal, or no deal?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brmorgan

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Went to a yard sale today that was advertising chainsaws in the paper. He had an old Homie XL-2 top handle that he wanted $45 for, and an even older Skil 1629 that he wanted $30 for. I wound up there at the end of the day as he was packing stuff up, so I managed to get both for $55. The Homie started in 2 pulls and runs fine, and the Skil sputters (not much gas in the tank) and has great compression, but is missing the muffler. I didn't really want the Skil that much and knew nothing about it, but the piston looked pretty beefy and was in top shape, and it'll look OK alongside the Pioneers in my collection. Since found out it's a 69cc saw which isn't too bad (CSCC has no info on this model BTW). I figure I should be able to find or make a muffler for it.

I'm planning on using that XL-2 as a limbing saw, which I believe it was designed for. It's only 26cc but is light as a feather. I've never used a top handle saw before, much less one with TWO throttle triggers, but it sure feels neat one-handing it. So, were they worth the $55?

Here's the best part: I told the old guy that I was into collecting and/or fixing old chainsaws, and he told me that he has a friend a few miles out of town that has an old 070 in good shape "that he'll never use again". Don't know if he's injured or just too old or what, but the guy said he'll try to pry it away from him the next time he goes to visit. So I'm supposed to check back with him in a few weeks - now I'm gonna lose some sleep! If I get it I'll probably do an 090 conversion either if my parts guy has what I need, or with a Bailey's kit failing that. The only trick would be finding the bigger clutch but I think I can do it.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

I would say you done good.
Not a bad purchase by anymeans.
The Skil looks like a nice vintage
saw. Hope you get it running right.

Regards Lee

I'd say you made a nice score, especially on the Skil. Someone here can probably tell you who made the Skil (I'm thinking that Skil didn't manufactor their own chainsaws, but I could be totally wrong).

Skil bought saws from other manufacturers instead of making their own. I believe that one is a PM model 340 from Canada. The muffler shouldn't be too hard to find.

Yeah, I remember reading something about PM making saws for Skil. Something sounds loose in its recoil so I need to take a look at that, and do the basic carb & fuel line checks. Other than that and the missing muffler all seems to be well. The old plastic fuel tank has me worried a bit as that type of plastic from that period can be very brittle. It appears to have been taken care of and didn't reek of old gas though. That little XL-2 is a gutless wonder, though I'm used to calling my 50cc saw my "little" saw, and it's nearly twice the displacement. But it'll make a nice trimming and limbing saw. So light too, and it feels perfectly balanced when used single-handedly from the top handle.

I got the Skil all sharpened and running today, still minus the muffler. Boy, is it loud! And I think it is easily spanked by my Husky 50 even with a 19cc advantage, and definitely nowhere near the 041AV @ 61cc. I also noticed it needs a set of dogs. I can make those though if I have to.

As for the XL-2, I figured out that it has a stupid fixed-high-jet carb. :censored: It seems to be running way too rich as it won't rev out very high and the muffler is a pool of tar on the inside. I'm also going to get rid of the crap "safety" chain - that should help it cut a bit better. Other than that, is there anything I can do to get a bit more oomph out of it? Where should the low screw be set? I can all but completely close it and it doesn't have much effect on the idle or acceleration curve. I hate being limited by a fixed carb. Is there a replacement (OEM or aftermarket) that isn't fixed?

Any tips or ideas for these two would be appreciated.

Last edited:
If its running too rich pull the muffler and mod it, that'll really wake it up. Check your air filter, as it may be clogged as well. You might be able to find a Walbro replacement that will match up to the intake, even if it isn't for that specific saw.

I'd put an adjustable carb on it. The air filters on those are known for disentigrating. Check and make sure that the filter isn't a ball of goo clogging the inlet passage. I have just redone a super2 for a freind, and I'm surprised how well it runs.

The air filter is in pretty much perfect condition, though it's only the cheap green foam kind. As for modding the muffler, is that a great idea on a saw with a nonadjustable carb? I wonder if the little Walbro from my Poulan 2150 would fit it? It's very similar in size but I haven't taken either off to compare them. I doubt the adjustments and/or choke control would line up though. Worth a look I guess.

Back