Faux Circular Sawing?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

twoclones

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Has anyone experimented with creating a circular saw texture on slabs?
Live edge slabs, farm tables, and vintage wood trim are very popular now and this circular mill marks are the hardest to come by. So, if we could easily create a similar texture on our milled lumber, it would be an exciting product to offer.

pine1xfeature.jpg

It's not exactly the same, but I have seen a slab finish that looked like it had been done with a coarse wire wheel cup on an angle grinder.
It sort of looked like a cross between circular saw cut and the circular finish you sometimes see on SS.
It looked like it had been made by only by only applying about a 1/4 of the wheel at a time to the wood.
Overall I think the pattern it made was a bit busy for a large area surface and detracted somewhat from the wood grain itself.

I wonder if you bent the teeth on a 10" table saw blade if it'd do it.
Have lumber all over here with marks like that, the shop used to run a Jackson Lumber harvester circle sawmill. Use a Woodmizer now.

For smaller width boards (Less 8") I use a jumbo long blade in a sawzall and pull it across the surface backwards. Takes a bit of practice but you can get some decent 'milling'' marks...
For wider boards up to 12"-14" go in from both sides..

G Vavra

I have not tried it yet but have thought I might get the desired effect by using a grinding wheel on an angle grinder style buffer. Buffer because they turn more slowly than an angle grinder.

Why don’t you just buy the peckerwood sawmill in my front yard, & we can both be happy.

I believe my Grandfather would be pleased to sell it.

Why don’t you just buy the peckerwood sawmill in my front yard, & we can both be happy.

I believe my Grandfather would be pleased to sell it.
What kind of mill is it? We used to see a lot of old Frick mills on farms. I was helping a friend mow around his family farm. He said he wanted to start cleaning out some of the barns. He told me to check one of the smaller barns for anything good. I found the Model T truck frame they turned into a power unit for an old circle mill. Yes the engine, trans, and pulleys were still on the frame, Joe.

What kind of mill is it? We used to see a lot of old Frick mills on farms. I was helping a friend mow around his family farm. He said he wanted to start cleaning out some of the barns. He told me to check one of the smaller barns for anything good. I found the Model T truck frame they turned into a power unit for an old circle mill. Yes the engine, trans, and pulleys were still on the frame, Joe.

I’ve heard them mention Frick, but I don’t know for certain that’s it.

He bought it & set it up more or less as something else to fool with, but the power unit that he put with it locked up.

The Old Pre-Combustion Chambered Caterpillar Power Plant was worm out to begin with as I believe they’d picked it up in “Horse trading”, like normal.

Unless you’ve got the Experienced Manpower, a Wood Mizer is just hard to beat.

fc47d22cfcc7751b8cf71895090b6e15.jpg

My Dad.

Crack me up. Looking for an entry level mill and you want to jump on a Cat diesel powered mill that takes several people to run. Go for it. Robby has a steam locomotive that he wants to run a mill on, he lives farther away and deals in cash. But, if AO wants it, let him have it, I won't tell Robby about it till AO decides, Joe.

Crack me up. Looking for an entry level mill and you want to jump on a Cat diesel powered mill that takes several people to run. Go for it. Robby has a steam locomotive that he wants to run a mill on, he lives farther away and deals in cash. But, if AO wants it, let him have it, I won't tell Robby about it till AO decides, Joe.
Sorry if I explore all avenues..
Not familiar with peckerwoods, just peckerheads, and without pics or anything how would I know?

This is a First Come First Serve Item: if you are serious, PM me & I’ll get you in touch with them.

P.S.

You also speak the Language of my peoples: Cash.

438F57C7-4C68-4B35-94DA-10A1E39627BF.jpeg A friend and I have been restoring this old Mobil Dimension mill since last year, we are ready to cut some lumber now! We took down a real nice bug kill ponderosa yesterday and will be giving a demonstration to another friend later today. This mill does everything but stack the lumber, and leaves real nice saw marks!

Back