Favorite / Best Throw Bag Line?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SteveSr

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Hello,

Sorry if this is in the wrong place. If so let me know where it should go.

I work as a volunteer for a couple of local trail clubs mostly doing hazard tree remediation. Occasionally we have a need to put a line in a tree to pull it one direction or keep it from going the wrong direction as a safety.

We have a 1lb throw bag but the line we got with it kind of sucks. It is plastic and keeps the shape of the small coil that it is wound on. I know that we need to find something that will flake out straight and not get tangled in itself.

Can any of you make any specific recommendations for a good throw bag line? Unfortunately there are no arborist supply places locally so will likely be buying online which is why I am looking for specific recommendations.

Thanks,
Steve

Steve,
Have you tried Sherrilltree.com? Fast, friendly service with lots of options in the throw line category. I would recommend Teufelberger Dynaglide 12. I use it regularly for setting rig lines and lifelines. It is a dyneema eope and really tough. Silky smooth with a good in hand feel and doesn't get hung up or tangled when flaked out right.

Steve,
Have you tried Sherrilltree.com? Fast, friendly service with lots of options in the throw line category. I would recommend Teufelberger Dynaglide 12. I use it regularly for setting rig lines and lifelines. It is a dyneema eope and really tough. Silky smooth with a good in hand feel and doesn't get hung up or tangled when flaked out right.
Thanks, I'll give them a try. Our griphoist rope is dyneema.

all throw line will do what you speak of, in my experiences. You have to stretch it out before each use and rewrap it neatly. Night and day difference.

Also don’t know if your using a throw bag or not but that also help with the coiling issues.

Is the line your using on the little stick swivel thing?

Zing-it is the proper stuff. And it does not need to be rewrapped neatly--mine gets flaked back loose into the plastic tub that cat litter came in. My throw-bag is attached to the handle of the tub with a slip knot so it's always ready to go.

Also, I keep a throwbag attached to either end of my throw line. It provides a kind of anchor, and also means I'm ready to go in the opposite direction if necessary. Can't really bring to mind why this is important, but it works for me.

Buy zing-it by Samson
I was asking this question for one of our other section leaders. Several years ago (longer than my memory) my section bought a throw line and I think that it might have been the Samson Zing-it. The zing-it we had setup with a slingshot and didn't use it in favor of the 16 oz throw weight and the crappy line. I wouldn't have minded if he got the crappy line stuck in the tree.

Latest posts

Back