Favorite green wood to burn.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dingeryote

Blueberry Baron
Reaction score
Long story short, sometimes ya get caught short on the seasoned stuff and short of buying wood, ya gotta move next years green cut from on deck, to the stove.

I'm starting to wonder a bit if we will make January without burning green.

I have some partially seasoned logs stacked up waiting to be cut, but getting the truck through the snow ain't gonna happen untill we get a good thaw.

So..

What's your favorite?

Thanks!!
Dingeryote

Locust and hedge. both are still hot but they pop like crazy. Leace some good coals tho...

next to ash I would say locust. Red oaks not to bad if cut after the saps fell. Try not to get yourself in this bind, I'm reminding myself as well as you.

I have cut and split a lot of black walnut in September and started buring it the following month. I could never tell the difference between walnut heartwood dried one month compared to dried a year.

I burned up 15 years ago a walnut tree struck by lightning when I was a kid. It had been dead for 30 years. The sapwood was gone but the heartwood was like fresh cut from live.

What are you burning in? Silver maple does pretty well green, but like ericjeeper ash wins hands down.

Kyle

I'm burnng in a Quadrafire 1700 hybrid fireplace.

Locust eh? I might be able to scare some up, but most grows in the fencelines between farm fields here. Folks treat it like Sassafrass... they hate it.

Anything I cut now will be Sap down or still standing.

Maple eh? There are a couple back by the pond that have a rather surly look to them, and the Oaks will appreciate the room. Might have to put the hit on them.

I figure we have another 2 weeks on the pile at this rate.

The pile WAS much larger, but was reduced by about 5 Cords as a gift to the MIL. who really can't afford to be on the furnace, while we can.
All was well untill I went and had elective surgery 3 weeks ago, and now somehow managed to get cellulitis in the leg(Owwwww!!!!)...while the snow piled up.
The Manitou hates me!:D

Thanks for the replies!!

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

next to ash I would say locust. Red oaks not to bad if cut after the saps fell. Try not to get yourself in this bind, I'm reminding myself as well as you.

LOL!!

I try not to, and even have a stash waiting to be cut/split.
Just can't get to it.:mad:

At least this way I'll cut twice as much for next year.

Thanks!
Dingeryote

Ash good as cash

Locust seems to be my favorite. Only thing is that I had a big blow over last year that I burned for 2/3 mos and got spoiled. It was dried then, but this year I have a semi-seasoned locust still hot as can be, but took a bit to get it going.

I always have a few dead barkless wonders hanging in the wings for that late april cold snap. But this year, I plan on knocking down some serious timber (dead and snapped ones from the ice storms this year) to alleviate that situation.

I've heated my house on fresh cut Hackberry and Mulberry from January on, and stayed warm. It's been quite a while back but I remember the days when that was all that was available to us.

Ash is OK, but Hedge takes the prize around here for most favorite for green wood.

ASH WOOD WET AND ASH WOOD DRY A KING SHALL WARM HIS SLIPPERS BY.
I read this some where along time ago and seems to be preety true. After a surprise cut back in hours at work I really cant afford to be running the oil furnace. My little regency indoor burner has been getting quite the work out with this cold and darn wind. I will be moving on to wood that was cut this past spring and summer. Lesson learned for next year.

Back