Favorite green wood to burn.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ash

Last year we needed to burn green (wife decided to be a stay at home late in the wood gathering season). Fortunately, the green pile had about a half cord of ash, which was enough to take us through.

We heat and cook in an old fashioned cookstove. And I have a strong seasoning ethic. So I "kiln dried" a few of the splits in the oven (which ranges between 300*-600* depending on how fierce the fire is). Periodically, I'd open the door to inspect. I was amazed at how little water bubbled out at the ends!

Whatever I have on hand. Got in trouble my first year burning. Have tried to be more diligent about cutting wood since then.

I wondered about Box Elder. I'm doing a volunteer land clearing project and have been dragging lengths to an area where folks can easily get to it. One fellow told me he has burned a bunch of it in his fireplace.

I wouldn't have guessed 2 month seasoned Box Elder would be easy to burn.

Merry Christmas and Thanks Gang!!!!

I reckon a couple Maples are gonna get dropped come friday.

I also have 4 20"+ Black Cherrys dropped already for next year that I guess can be tossed in the burner.

It's raining here for some reason, and maybe will melt off some of the snow so I can get to that stack of logs.

Ash is the winner so far as favorite!!
I wish had a few left.

Thanks again!
Dingeryote

ASH WOOD WET AND ASH WOOD DRY A KING SHALL WARM HIS SLIPPERS BY.
I read this some where along time ago and seems to be preety true. After a surprise cut back in hours at work I really cant afford to be running the oil furnace. My little regency indoor burner has been getting quite the work out with this cold and darn wind. I will be moving on to wood that was cut this past spring and summer. Lesson learned for next year.

Stihl used to put a supplement in the new saw sales manuals that had a saying similar to that. It described a bunch of different wood burning qualities in poem. I know this because I sold a Stihl 011av that had that in the paperwork.

+1 on green sassafras. Seems to burn nearly good as it does seasoned but I think it throws more sparks green. Ash are only seen in yards in my neck of the woods. I don't ever remember using it.
I have 1 wood customer that insist green wood burns better for him and he seems to prefer most of the oaks over any thing else I've taken him.
I would forget green cottonwood and similiar woods that tend to take in a lot of water and have a low btu rating dry.

Beechwood fires are bright and clear
If the logs are kept a year,
Chestnut's only good they say,
If for logs 'tis laid away.
Make a fire of Elder tree,
Death within your house will be;
But ash new or ash old,
Is fit for a queen with crown of gold.

Birch and fir logs burn too fast
Blaze up bright and do not last,
it is by the Irish said
Hawthorn bakes the sweetest bread.
Elm wood burns like churchyard mould,
E'en the very flames are cold
But Ash green or Ash brown
Is fit for a queen with golden crown.

Poplar gives a bitter smoke,
Fills your eyes and makes you choke,
Apple wood will scent your room
Pear wood smells like flowers in bloom
Oaken logs, if dry and old
keep away the winter's cold
But Ash wet or Ash dry
a king shall warm his slippers by.

Beechwood fires are bright and clear
If the logs are kept a year,
Chestnut's only good they say,
If for logs 'tis laid away.
But ash new or ash old,
Is fit for a queen with crown of gold.

Birch and fir logs burn too fast
Blaze up bright and do not last,
it is by the Irish said
Hawthorn bakes the sweetest bread.
Elm wood burns like churchyard mould,
E'en the very flames are cold
But Ash green or Ash brown
Is fit for a queen with golden crown.

Poplar gives a bitter smoke,
Fills your eyes and makes you choke,
Apple wood will scent your room
Pear wood smells like flowers in bloom
Oaken logs, if dry and old
keep away the winter's cold
But Ash wet or Ash dry
a king shall warm his slippers by.

What does that mean? Never heard of that.

What does that mean? Never heard of that.

My guess is that the saying has its roots in European folklore. Seems like burning it would be like putting a welcome mat out for "evil influences."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elderberry

The Elder Tree was supposed to ward off evil influence and give protection from witches, a popular belief held in widely-distant countries. If an elder tree was cut down, a spirit known as the Elder Mother would be released and take her revenge. The tree could only safely be cut while chanting a rhyme to the Elder Mother

Merry Christmas and Thanks Gang!!!!

I reckon a couple Maples are gonna get dropped come friday.

I also have 4 20"+ Black Cherrys dropped already for next year that I guess can be tossed in the burner.

It's raining here for some reason, and maybe will melt off some of the snow so I can get to that stack of logs.

Ash is the winner so far as favorite!!
I wish had a few left.

Thanks again!Dingeryote
20 inch cherrys--and your going to burn em??? ssee if a person in the miling forum is close to ya--and swap wood for wood--cherry is wonderful milling wood--and great for projects----

20 inch cherrys--and your going to burn em??? ssee if a person in the miling forum is close to ya--and swap wood for wood--cherry is wonderful milling wood--and great for projects----

Oly,
I hear ya!!
But here's the rub. I already have cherry planks drying, and nobody wants to pay for timber right now as prices are down.

Thanks for the idea on trades though.. The local guy with a Mill has piles of hardwood cut and split he might trade for logs. That way he can afford to sit on the boards untill prices come up again. I didn't even think about that.

The tree's I dropped, were crowding other tree's with better trunks, so they had to go anyhow, and I have a bunch more to thin.

Thanks again!!
Dingeryote

Well, I agree with everyone else. Ash. When its green its barely even green.:cheers:

I burnt some oak the other day that wasnt ready and I regretted it.
Just dont burn green pine...it gets messy.:monkey:

Latest posts

Back